• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tangowood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Boone County
    Ok so i was up visiting a friend of mine in northern Indiana about a month ago. Recently his brother, that i used to hunt with passed away. He invited me up to help him go thru his brothers collection, most of it was long guns and ammunition. He had a gun dealer come in and make a offer, that in my mind was not bad. It was to take the whole lot, that way he did not have to worry about trying to sell individually. Most offers were within $50.00 of what I think he could get on the open market.

After completing we went back upstairs and had lunch with the widow and 2 kids(13 and 16). We did talked about the guns and how much they were part of the husbands/fathers life as well as the kids. I got a chance to ask what gun was their favorite and why. For the most part the why was what they got to do with their dad.
    I asked the widow if she would mind if i bought a couple of the guns, if it did not effect the offer from the dealer. She had no problem with it. We loaded up the guns and took them over to the dealer. I was able to negotiate with the dealer a little better price and was able to buy two of the guns.
    We returned to the home were i proceeded to give each of the kids the gun that was there favorite with the offer of whenever they would like to go hunting to give me a call.(wow what a great feeling)

Fast forward to today...
    I got a call from the widow stating that they had found another handgun in the safe in the garage. She and the kids talked it over and wanted me to have it. I thanked her for the offer and asked her to send me some pics of it.
    i have not got them (yet) but she said it was in a Blue Box and the number on it was p228 she also said it still had tags on it like it has never been shot and some orange "thing" in the gun.

So what i have here is a NIB Sig P228R. Probably one of the highest value of the guns that he had. I am not going to just take it as they said as they could use the money i am sure.

So here is the question. what do you think a NIB P228R is worth? i have done some looking around on websites to see what they are going for and there are not that many of them. I found one in KC that is asking 900.00.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I personally think that is a bit high. If it were a NIB West German era P228 you might very well get $900 for it (maybe even a bit more), but the P228R's are a bit of a Frankengun using a P229 frame and a P228 slide. They don't seem to be as highly valued as the classic P228s are. A quick search shows lightly used P228R examples going for about $500 (which is about $100 less than used P228s seem to command) and NIB versions hitting a bit north of $700 (which is $100-300 less than I've seen pristine NIB P228s go for). Hope this helps. Nice firearm, regardless.

Top Bottom