Sig P229 vs P226? I have numerous questions...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EFriesel

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2024
    Lawrence County
    I have some experience shooting the P226 (both Mk25 and Legion) - probably sub 300 rounds over the past decade years.

For the longest time I've wanted a P226 but recently have been eyeing the P229 instead. It seems the only differences are slide/grip length, weight, and capacity - most of which seem like minor differences.

Does anyone having experience with both have any preferences? I'm not against using the P229 as a CCW but I already carry a P365X (half the weight) and don't need to replace it. I want a larger gun for non-CCW purposes.

Less weight theoretically means less recoil - how noticeable is this?
    Are there any other major differences? Price?
    I've heard some dialogue about the long vs. short extractors. Any thoughts on this?

I'm probably going to have to get my hands on them at a store/range to really know but was hoping I could be enlightened a little beforehand. I appreciate any feedback!

Edit: I meant more weight means less recoil, just typed it out wrong whoops!

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I own a few of both in 9mm and 40,357 Sig.
    If I were to carry one today with those to choices, it would be a 229 just because its a bit smaller.
    If it was just bought to sit in a safe and shoot paper with I would buy the 226 series pistol.

I carried a P226 in 9mm for decades, for the last few years I have carried for the most part a Sig M17 P320.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    The differences in size are pretty small, but some say they make a noticeable difference, so that’s up to you. But for a non-EDC pistol, I’m P226 all day. Nothing wrong with the P229, but the 226 feels and shoots better for me. I’m also the kind of guy who prefers a Beretta 92G Centurion over a 92 Compact though. When the differences in size, weight, and capacity are that small, I usually prefer the larger of the two so I have a better grip for my fat fingers lol.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Like others have said, the P226 is just a bit bigger...longer in the grip and in the slide. P226 mags will work in a P229, but not vice-versa.

I have a P228 (the older, folded-slide version of the P229) and a couple of P229s. I just picked up a 9mm P229 SAS that has a factory melt job to turn down the hard edges, and came with a short-reset trigger already installed. It's a sweet shooter and may well replace my P220 Compact as my off-duty carry gun. It has the long extractor...IMO the only difference there is cosmetic...it works just as well as my short extractor and internal extractor guns.

I'm actually hunting for a P226 at the moment to set up as a DA/SA optic-equipped range gun, as in my experience the bigger slide tends to have better recoil characteristics, more grip is always a positive if you don't have to worry about concealing it, and the longer sight radius doesn't hurt, either (although it's kind of immaterial if you mount a dot). For everyday carry, though, I'd much rather have the P229.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    So as an sig owner and someone who’s “down with the signess!” (13 sigs) including a German 226, a 226 legion and a m11a1 (229)…I can give you this piece of advice

Heads 226 Tails 229, flip a coin, cause there’s not enough difference between the two to amount to you spending too much time thinking about it!

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    So as an sig owner and someone who’s “down with the signess!” (13 sigs) including a German 226, a 226 legion and a m11a1 (229)…I can give you this piece of advice

Heads 226 Tails 229, flip a coin, cause there’s not enough difference between the two to amount to you spending too much time thinking about it!
    In other words, yes to both!

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have both the P226 and the P229.
    P226 in 9mm and another with 40SW and .357Sig barrels.
    And multiple P229s with .40SW and .357Sig barrels.
    They're both great pistols, but I find myself carrying the P229 .357 Sig mostly.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I have some experience shooting the P226 (both Mk25 and Legion) - probably sub 300 rounds over the past decade years.

For the longest time I've wanted a P226 but recently have been eyeing the P229 instead. It seems the only differences are slide/grip length, weight, and capacity - most of which seem like minor differences.

Does anyone having experience with both have any preferences? I'm not against using the P229 as a CCW but I already carry a P365X (half the weight) and don't need to replace it. I want a larger gun for non-CCW purposes.

I've heard some dialogue about the long vs. short extractors. Any thoughts on this?

I'm probably going to have to get my hands on them at a store/range to really know but was hoping I could be enlightened a little beforehand. I appreciate any feedback!

Speaking on the P226 and P229.... I can say carrying the P226 is like holstering a 1911 or 92FS that can get heavy after some time in the day and worse during the summer.

I find this is best mitigated by using a shoulder holster if weight is an issue.

With the P229 it's easier to carry in general overall from the shoulder, owb or iwb than with the P226 and I prefer the P229 myself for carry and overall enjoyment with a Sig when plinking with a handgun from them due to it's size. I should also mention I like P229's without the rail on the frame as to me there is a difference in balance and feel.

My P229 in a Glaco summer comfort iwb holster which makes it quite comfortable to carry if you like iwb that is....and leather over plastic.

20220627_185835.jpg

Last edited:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Have owned both a P220 and P220 Carry and did not really notice any difference in recoil , might have shot the P220 better but that was a made in Germany gun with a really nice trigger. Of course those were 45s. Comparing 9mm in P226 and P229 the differences between the two are probably going to be minimal.

I have a made in 2022 P226 Elite and with an optics slide with Romeo Pro is the best shooting 9mm I have ever owned. The E2 grip fits me well. The trigger was not up to the level of the old German made guns , a lot of SA creep and grittiness in the DA. Much better after a trip to the Sig Armorer.

arty8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2020
    Indianapolis

I have a P228 that is still in the rotation for a carry gun

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    West side of Indy

I had a Legion P226 that I sold, and I still have a M11-A1 (P228/P229), and I’ll never part with it. They are both fine guns, but I liked the M11-A1 better. I also hate the slide release on the Legion guns, so that might have been a contributing factor. I’ve switched it out on my P220 Legion.

EFriesel

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2024
    Lawrence County
    Speaking on the P226 and P229.... I can say carrying the P226 is like holstering a 1911 or 92FS that can get heavy after some time in the day and worse during the summer.

I find this is best mitigated by using a shoulder holster if weight is an issue.

With the P229 it's easier to carry in general overall from the shoulder, owb or iwb than with the P226 and I prefer the P229 myself for carry and overall enjoyment with a Sig when plinking with a handgun from them due to it's size. I should also mention I like P229's without the rail on the frame as to me there is a difference in balance and feel.

My P229 in a Glaco summer comfort iwb holster which makes it quite comfortable to carry if you like iwb that is....and leather over plastic.

View attachment 337035
    It looks to me like the answer is both, but leaning towards P229 first...

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    It looks to me like the answer is both, but leaning towards P229 first...
    I would say get both when you can but the p229 first for ease of carry while still having something that is also still considered a "service" full size to fill both roles of house and cc gun.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I had a Legion P226 that I sold, and I still have a M11-A1 (P228/P229), and I’ll never part with it. They are both fine guns, but I liked the M11-A1 better. I also hate the slide release on the Legion guns, so that might have been a contributing factor. I’ve switched it out on my P220 Legion.
    I always felt the M11a1 was really under rated. It was just all the traditionalists were bent out of shape that it wasn‘t really a p228 And it used those grips.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Sounds like a plan! Thanks for the feedback
    No problem and I also use preference to grease when lubing a classic P series Sig.

To me premature wear occurs on a Sig from not using grease....not sure if this has been covered by anyone or not.

I prefer RIG grease for a lubing grease because it doubles as a preservative grease for long periods of time but i have also found KGW grease to be excellent.

Stay away from Tetra Grease...it's trash and made my formerly owned 92fs inox ghost pit in places it was applied.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I always felt the M11a1 was really under rated. It was just all the traditionalists were bent out of shape that it wasn‘t really a p228 And it used those grips.
    They seem to have rectified it with recent examples I've seen in person and online made with the P229 grips.

I do prefer the P229 grips myself since it is technically a P229 at it's core.

Top Bottom