• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Wifey is getting her LTCH soon and says her LCR 357 is too big for her preferred carry method. My B-I-L has a buddy with a Sig P230 that he wants to trade.

NO experience with this gun. Anybody have any experience with one that you can share?

Thanks!

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I have its ancestor, p232.

Upside: accurate, reliable, stylish, flat profile conceals easily.

Possible downside: snappy recoil, web bite for some shooters, weight.

Personally, I dislike the curved trigger shape which I find uncomfortable. I also have never adjusted to the DA/SA transition for follow-up shots.

I'd have her shoot it before buying to see if she will be happy with the snappy recoil.

I really wanted to like this gun for its size and sleek appearance, but its is my least favorite among the handguns I own.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've never actually shot one but I have seen them in person. If an LCR is too big, then I'm guessing she probably won't be enjoying the size of this Sig either...

rock_island_SigP230.jpg

There you can see a size comparison versus a 1911 lol.

Anyway, I believe there are plenty of smaller guns that might do well...many options in a .380 out there. I personally carry a Colt Mustang Pocketlite (see avatar). It is a great shooter and recoil is mild because of the all alloy frame.

Give us some budgetary feedback and we will help you out.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Nice weapon...slide force, trigger pull & total weight quite isn't as heavy as a PPK.

Which is to say it is still kinda chunky, as mentioned upthread. Also, +1 on the possibility of slide bite depending on your grip & the size of your hands.

The Pocketlite is definitely a sweet handgun and one that my wife shoots very well.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    The LCR is basically on the market for whatever we can get $ wise or in trade that will be something that's a better "fit" for wifey. I posted that I was putting it up for sale on my Facebook page and my brother in law hooked me up with his cop buddy.

I'm not high enough up the posting totem pole to list it for sale on InGO

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    My wife loved her P230. The version with the steel frame recoils less than the aluminum-framed version if that's an issue.

But, even the light version of the P230/232 has less felt recoil than a LCR 38 with +p loads.

However, from your description it sounds like you're wife's primary qualm with the LCR is it's size.

That's a bit more complicated comparison . . .

SIG P232 (AL) - 6.6" L x 4.7" H x 1.2" W, 18.5 oz.
    LCR357 - 6.5" L x 4.5" H x 1.28" W*, 17.1 oz.

They're very close in size and weight. They're shaped differently, however, with the revolver being a more rounded shape and the auto being more boxy. This usually makes the revolver a bit easier to stick places on the human body.

If you're wife thinks about it, what is it about the "too bigness" of the LCR357 that bothers her the most? If it's the width, then you pick up almost a 1/10" with the SIG, and that might get you there. If it's the weight or any of the LxWxH dimensions, she may find the SIG to be still too large. If it's weight, the SIG is heavier. Something like the LCR in 38 is lighter weighing in around 13.5 oz. and would be a familiar platform.

With respect to slide bite, FWIW, while the P230 did bite the web of my hand a bit, my wife was fine with it. The P232 does not bite my hand - illustrating that this can often be solved by changing the grip panels.

* The only width I have is for the LCR in .38

Last edited:

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I think it is a great gun for a lady. Of course, I have the stainless version that is a bit heavier. Recoil is not bad at all. Accurate and simple. First trigger pull is long but smooth. Follow-up shot in SA mode are light and crisp. Plus they can always cock the trigger if they aren't in a rush. I'd definitely investigate further with your buddy.

BTW, I have a set of Marschal grips that solve the slide bite issue. I have a set of Hogues on there now, so I would be inclined to let them go reasonably.
    DSCF4819.jpg

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The LCR is basically on the market for whatever we can get $ wise or in trade that will be something that's a better "fit" for wifey. I posted that I was putting it up for sale on my Facebook page and my brother in law hooked me up with his cop buddy.

�� I'm not high enough up the posting totem pole to list it for sale on InGO ��

Save the LCR for yourself :-)

My vote is still go for the Pocketlite or a smaller .380 a la Ruger, Keltec, S&W...

My personal opinion is that Sig makes great guns, but the size of that 380 is huge. For the money, you could buy a Makarov in .380 or a Bersa 380 which is practically the same but will probably coss less money.

I have a Russian Makarov in .380 and I have put a few thousand rounds through it without a single misfire. They are tanks!!! PLENTY of good reviews on the Bersa .380s that are very similar. Both are blowback actions which is what the Sig appears to be too.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    My twice has a stainless 232. She likes it but it is a large .380. I bought her a 238 for Christmas and she likes it better. The recoil is rediculous on the 232 even compared to the smaller and lighter 238. Personally I'd skip the 232. They are good guns but you also have to remember the hammer on the 232 always stays at halfcock when in SA mode. I forgot that one day. Luckily I don't point it at anything I don't want to destroy. My wife thought the mag was empty and I was packing up. I saw the hammer was still cocked so I pointed it downrange and pulled the trigger thinking I was dry firing... it still had one round in it! Boy that surprised me!

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    I think the 232 and 230s are some of the nicest looking guns out there.

With that said I found the recoil snappy and did not care for the way it shot. One of those guns that I wanted to like, but just couldn't.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Yeah, the "full-size" 380's are definitely taking some heat from guns like the Kahr P9/CW9 (and other single stack 9s) which are virtually the same size (although thinner yet), but chambered for the more potent, less expensive 9mm cartridge.

Top Bottom