• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP239

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2016
    Danville
    I currenty have a P239 9mm that is my primary carry weapon and also have a P229C 9mm for a higher capacity carry option. I like both guns a lot and shoot both very well. I want to add a smaller gun to the carry rotation for use in warm weather / shorts and t-shirt weather. I can conceal the P239 in a IWB holster with a t-shirt that is a little oversize but there are times I would like something smaller and easier to conceal.

When looking for another smaller gun I looked at the Beretta Nano, Sig P290RS, Kahr PM9 along with several others. I ended up buying a P290RS. I've put around 200 rounds through the P290RS but I'm not sure I like it....I'm still on the fence. I don't hate it but I just don't like it as well as the other Sigs in my line up. I'm still not used to the long heavy DA trigger. I've rented a Beretta Nano and liked it ok(I actually shot it sightly better than the P290RS), no complaints but didn't like that the slide can't be locked back.

The Kahr PM9 was my 2nd choice when I was looking but I haven't found any local ranges that have one to rent. Does anyone know of a local range(Indianapolis area) that has a Kahr PM9 or CM9 to rent? Or does anyone have any personal experience with this gun or how it compares to the P290RS?

I'm also open to other suggestions of similar sized guns but I would like to stick to 9mm since my other guns are also 9mm.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    The pm9 has a looooong but smooth trigger also. I have one but I can't compare it to your others as I haven't shot them. Size wise the pm9 can't be beat. Mine has been 100% reliable. Zero malfunctions in 2k plus rounds.

When I was doing the research, I found quite a few people saying the nano was ammo picky...for what that's worth.

Im on the other side of town, and you're welcome to shoot it if you can't find one closer.

JBP239

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2016
    Danville
    Thanks for the info. I dry fired a PM9 in the store. The PM9 feels like it has a much more refined trigger...not sure of a better way to describe it. The P290RS isn't horrible but I find that I have to get used to the trigger every time I shoot it and accuracy doesn't come naturally with it, atleast for me. I may just need some more practice with it but so far I'm not feeling like it's what I'm looking for.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I own a Nano and a SIG P290RS. I prefer the Nano over the SIG. With the P290RS I get a couple of light strikes with every 50 rounds. Being true double action sometimes they fire on the second hit and sometimes not. I don't consider the P290RS to be reliable enough for carry because of this. I have never owned a Kahr so can't say anything about those.

JBP239

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2016
    Danville
    I own a Nano and a SIG P290RS. I prefer the Nano over the SIG. With the P290RS I get a couple of light strikes with every 50 rounds. Being true double action sometimes they fire on the second hit and sometimes not. I don't consider the P290RS to be reliable enough for carry because of this. I have never owned a Kahr so can't say anything about those.

I haven't experienced any light strikes but I have had trouble with the last round in the 8 round magazine not wanting to feed.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    You seem to be partial to Sig! Have you checked out the P938? It functions like a 1911 but is about the size of the Kahr PM9.

JBP239

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2016
    Danville
    You seem to be partial to Sig! Have you checked out the P938? It functions like a 1911 but is about the size of the Kahr PM9.

I'm definately partial to Sigs. I do like the 938 but I've never been a fan of having a safety on a carry gun. I'm sure I could get used to it but it would be a big adjustment.

Drotis

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2012
    Sellersburg
    I have carried a PM9 for years and like it a lot. Agree w grunt soldier that it gets better with time and rounds shot. After the suggested "500 rd break in" I've had zero malfunctions. I also have a sig p238 that I like a lot. Good summer carry gun. I'll likely buy a p938 in the future. The PM9 is DAO with no safety, which sounds more like what you are looking for. I have a Pearce Mag Extension on my PM9, and it fits my hand well. Kahr's are solid reliable guns. Good luck!

JBP239

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2016
    Danville
    I picked up a PM9 today from armslist. I had been watching for awhile hoping one would pop up. I also searched a few gun shops, I saw a couple there but they looked pretty rough. Finally saw one for a decent price with a couple spare magazines. Shows no wear other than the barrel from shooting, I doubt it had ever been carried much or at all. I'll give it a try next weekend and report back.

JBP239

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2016
    Danville
    I went to the range today with the P290RS and the PM9. It was interesting shooting both back to back. Most importantly both guns performed flawlessly. The problem with the P290RS not feeding the last round of the 8 round magazine seemed to be cured with a thorough cleaning of the magazine.

The P290RS has a little lower recoil, it's a little heavier. I shoot the PM9 more accurately, the trigger pull is lighter and easier to control. I prefer hammer fired guns in general so I like that the P290RS is hammer fired. Nothing against striker fired guns but I feel most comfortable with hammer fired, all my other guns are hammer fired.

Both have pros/cons, I honestly like both but would probably give the PM9 a slight edge because I shoot it more accurately. I'm not sure I dislike the P290RS enough to get rid of it, so I might just keep both.

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    P290rs, Nano, and Kahr Cm9...had them all. Only have the Sig P290rs remaining. Zero issues, trigger has smoothed out amazingly well...no complaints. I actually like its trigger better than my Kahr for sure. Thats just me...and yes...I do like my Sigs...but also like my S&W 686, Glocks, and Beretta 92fs. Just really like this little P290rs for what its intended for!

Top Bottom