• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Littlejoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Elrod Indiana
    Afew weeks ago I ask what yall thought of the Kimber Solo and you guys talked me out of it. I want something alittle smaller than my Glock 26 but want to stay with 9mm and I don't want to give up my reliability. So, what can you guys tell me about the Sig P938 or P290....I have never shot either one of them. I like the look and feel....Thanks

Littlejoe

David D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2013
    New Albany area
    About a year ago I was also seriously considering the Kimber Solo. It felt great in my hand, looked good, and I had always heard good things about the Kimber 1911's. I did my research and kept finding stories of the Solo being very finicky about what amunition it liked and didn't like. The comparable gun that kept coming up in my research was the Kahr PM9. The PM9 has a reputation of going bang every time, no matter what ammunition it is fed. I handled a PM9 and a Solo at my local gun store. The Kimber felt nicer, but I purchased the Kahr PM9.

As per reviews I found online, before I ever fired the gun, I racked the slide 500 times (wearing work gloves). The mainspring on the Kahr is very stiff from the factory. I have put probably 600 rounds through this gun (using probably 10 different brands / types of ammunition), and it has been 100% flawless. I haven't had any regrets about this purchase.

I have fairly small hands for a man, so this gun fits me great, is impressively accurate, and I wouldn't trade it for any comparably sized firearm. The PM9 isn't for everybody. Although the gun is totally reliable and no problem for me to handle, the mainspring is still stiff enough that my wife can't rack the slide. If you are looking for this size firearm in a single stack 9 mm., I truly can't recommend this gun highly enough.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have read great things about them both, and love all my P238s, but have never actually shot either pistol you are considering. Have you thought about the Kahr CM9? Similar to the Glock 26, only single stack, and a little smaller. Seems like the pistol you are looking for. But if you like 1911 style pistols and money is not an issue, go with the P938.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    That's funny, I type my opinion, hit reply, and David has already recommended a Kahr. Most know the CM9 and PM9 are basically the same pistol. The biggest difference are the sights and $$$.

Littlejoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Elrod Indiana
    I have had both, pm9 and cm9.... I like the cm9 but so did my son. now that is his carry gun.. The little pm9 had a lot of problems, sent it back to Kahr and still had FTE no matter what ammo I used. I have carried a G26 and G36 for afew years now. I am just looking for something alittle smaller. I don't want to go .380, but that is the size I want. I have been thinking about the LCR also.... Life is so hard sometimes...lol.... You guys have any ideas for a every day carry that will fit in my front pocket...Thanks

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    290 had problems initially, but I believe those have been fixed?
    938's I've only read positive things about...

IF reliability is equal (and I'll assume it is)... then it comes down to controls and price tag. The 938 is a mini 1911, so if you wanted a Solo... this is probably going to be your choice. Its SAO and needs to be carried in condition one.

The 290 is going to operate more like your Glock... its DAO with no manual thumb safety. Its also a couple of hundred dollars cheaper.

So... basically its up to your preference and price range.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I had a p290 it never failed to go bang, but I never warmed to it. I bought a p938 and after a few early hickups it now runs flawless and I really like it. The p290 is long gone

spyshot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Winchester/Union City
    my opinion...the trigger pull of the 290 is too long and i find it annoying. worse than a glock becasue if i'm not mistaked, the glock's striker is partially cocked so it is not a full dao.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    my opinion...the trigger pull of the 290 is too long and i find it annoying.

Ditto this.

I had a subcompact Sig P250, which is a cousin to the P290. The DAO trigger was terrible and I just couldn't shoot it well. I could fire Glock's and Kahr's all day but struggled with my P250. I sold it and haven't looked back.

I can't imagine the P938's SA trigger being half as bad as my old P250. Dry fire both and tell us what you think!

XSVskill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Decatur, IN
    My girlfriend carries a p290...the trigger is def looonnnnnnngggg, but its smooth and predictable. I think it feels great in my hand if just a little heavy for its size.

If you do go the p290 route make sure it is the p290RS model - true DAO operation. On the original model the hammer would only strike the firing pin if the slide had be cycled. So, if for some reason you needed to re-strike the primer on the same cartridge you couldn't.

bruno1371

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    in the middle
    About 2 hrs ago I traded for a 938, so there's my vote. I haven't shot this one but have shot a friends. I shot it very well for such a small gun.it is his daily carry and he shoots it quite a bit. I have never seen his malfunction but he says it did with a heavier grain bullet. So he just uses 115 gr I believe. I'm excited about this little guy. I've never had a gun with all the fancy engraving! I like the sights and it points very naturally for me.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    About 2 hrs ago I traded for a 938, so there's my vote. I haven't shot this one but have shot a friends. I shot it very well for such a small gun.it is his daily carry and he shoots it quite a bit. I have never seen his malfunction but he says it did with a heavier grain bullet. So he just uses 115 gr I believe. I'm excited about this little guy. I've never had a gun with all the fancy engraving! I like the sights and it points very naturally for me.

post pics!

MangoIN5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2013
    Clinton County
    Littlejoe, I have the P938 and had the P238 before the 938 was released, I really like the 1911 style and being able to carry cocked and locked, it is butter smooth and extremely accurate for the short barrel. I carry in a crossbreed holster and dont even know I have it on, I know the holster has a lot to do with it but I wear it exclusivly when I ride my harley, all day....so nice size for highly concealed carry. It is very dependable I have never had a misfire, or stovepipe or any other malfunction to report with various ammo brands. I have both the 7 and 6 round mags, carry it with the 7 and keep the 6 near by. I have 4 friend with a 5th soon to be pick one up after handling and shooting it. Here is a youtube video I steer people to that are curious about it http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Js4acN46k&desktop_uri=/watch?v=w6Js4acN46k

spyshot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Winchester/Union City
    If you do go the p290 route make sure it is the p290RS model - true DAO operation. On the original model the hammer would only strike the firing pin if the slide had be cycled. So, if for some reason you needed to re-strike the primer on the same cartridge you couldn't.

i think im going to start a poll on this. there seams to be so much attention on "double strike capability." how often does the scenario occour that you need it? i would much rather have an easy short trigger than the ability to hit a primer twice. maybe that is becuase in my 15 years of shooting, cheap .22 ammo is the only round that has failed to go bang, my reloads included. and i'm not using .22 for anything serious.

adam

XSVskill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Decatur, IN
    i think im going to start a poll on this. there seams to be so much attention on "double strike capability." how often does the scenario occour that you need it? i would much rather have an easy short trigger than the ability to hit a primer twice. maybe that is becuase in my 15 years of shooting, cheap .22 ammo is the only round that has failed to go bang, my reloads included. and i'm not using .22 for anything serious.

adam
    Agreed, but if you are already looking at DAO firearm with 2 models - one with, and one without the "double-strike" capability...the question becomes why wouldn't you want it?

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I have a P290RS. I am up in Columbus. You ever get up to Atterbury I'll let you shoot it. If you like it we can talk.

Trigger is long...but predictable as someone said. My brother and I shot it side by side with his LC9 and the trigger was much better on the 290RS.

Top Bottom