• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wheeler-Dealer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    East-Central

I picked up a Sig P938 "Extreme" edition.

I took this gun in on trade, recently, despite the fact that it had the Dreaded "Early Production" date. (August, 2012)

I really wanted the "SAS" Sig P938, because I like the rounded corners on the slide, but this one is pretty cool too.

The person that I got it from told me that he only sent 20rds thru it and the gun's condition showed the same (pretty much zero wear on it)

According to everything I'd read on the Interwebz, though, this gun probably wasn't going to successfully feed and/or eject a single round.:rolleyes:

WELL, I'm very happy to report that I took it to the range today and tried out 4 different brands of ammo, FMJ's and HP's, out of both magazines, firing slow, firing fast and even altering my grip on the gun in several different ways and I wasn't able to get a single hiccup out of it.

The "Extreme" edition comes with a standard 6rd mag and the extended 7rd mag, full sized tritium night sites, Hogue G10 "Piranha" Grips in Black & Grey color, Nitron Coated Stainless Steel slide and Black Hard Anodized Alloy frame. It weighs 16oz. (I'm assuming that's the empty weight)

It functioned FLAWLESSLY.

Total rds shot in this session was 150rds.

Ammo shot was:

TULA-115gr FMJ
    Federal-115gr FMJ
    PMC Bronze-115gr FMJ
    Hornaday Critical Duty-135gr FlexLock JHP

The most accurate rounds were the Hornaday Critical Duty JHP's.
    Next was pretty much a tie between the PMC FMJ's and, believe it or not, the TULA FMJ's !!
    The Federal's weren't bad but the groupings were a touch bigger with those than the rest.

I was pretty SHOCKED by the accuracy of this little gun and I'm in love with it. It's my new "very favorite thing".....almost.

It's every bit as accurate as my Kimber Ultra CDP 45acp (which is a VERY accurate pistol)

Where I shot today is an indoor range with only a 50ft firing line, at the moment, and these targets are just standard 8-1/2" x 11" sheets of paper with a 3" dot stuck in the middle...for fun.

Try not to make too much fun of me, I've been out of shooting for years and am just now getting back into it.... this was only my 3rd trip to the range in probably 5-6 years and all 3 trips have been in the past month or so.

I'm planning on going as often as possible and my goal is to be shooting weekly, from now on, as long as I can still find decent deals on ammo.

Here's a pic of the gun and a few fast fired targets.

20131001_032536.jpg

Onebad06vtx

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Ellettsville
    I would love to try one out before I commented to buying one.
    Anyone from around Terre haute be interested in letting me and my wife try one?
    I will supply the ammo and let you try a few different ones out also.

Wheeler-Dealer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    East-Central
    Good info. I need to check the build date on mine. I've put 300+ through it, with both mags, and not had any issues.

Well dang...I guess I have one of those early build no failure guns too...and mine is just as accurate!

Mark

Thanks for the replies ! :thumbsup:

I know that I really like the one that I picked up & after carrying it for a week or so, here are the MAIN reasons why I like it, so far:

1. it is similar, in size and weight, to a traditional "Pocket 380"
    2. it has 8 rounds of 9mm firepower
    3. it has a good SAO trigger combined with the familiar 1911 layout
    4. it's been reliable & it ate all the different ammo(s) that I've fed it with ZERO issues (JHP's & FMJ's from 115gr to 135gr)
    5. it can be disassembled, cleaned and re-assembled without the use of any tools
    6. it has full sized night sites that make target acquisition much easier than other "pocket pistols" that I've shot

7. it has the ability to be carried in "condition 1" or "Cocked and Locked"

Tell me the reasons why you guys like YOUR Sig P938's (or why you DON'T like yours)

I would love to try one out before I commented to buying one.
    Anyone from around Terre haute be interested in letting me and my wife try one?
    I will supply the ammo and let you try a few different ones out also.

If you were close to Richmond I'd meet up with you at one of the ranges that I go to and let you try mine out but Terre Haute is a bit too far..I believe.

Hopefully someone will be nearby for you to meet up with so you can check the Sig P938 out !

Last edited:

Corporal D

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    SE Side
    I got it because it's basically a small 1911, by far my favorite platform. The trigger is my only complaint, mine needs a little work.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    My wife wanted a p938 for her first handgun and it has been great. Not a single jam, ftf, or fte.
    She has put around 400 rounds down the pipe. what impressed me more is how well she shoots
    for being a new shooter. My only complaint is the trigger but it does not bother her a bit just my :twocents:

Wheeler-Dealer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    East-Central
    I actually like the trigger on mine. At first, I didn't think that I would, but after shooting several hundred rounds through it I really like it.

I feel that the little bit of extra trigger travel and the 7.5lb-8.5lb trigger pull poundage both combine to make these 938's a little bit safer than they would be with a near-zero trigger travel and a 4lb-5lb trigger.

It also makes me feel comfortable enough with this gun to pocket carry it in a DeSantis SuperFLy pocket holster in the "cocked/locked" configuration.

Maybe some will say that I'm crazy for doing that but I don't feel that way because of the longer trigger travel and heavier trigger pull poundage and the gun's safety are all working in unison, helping to better protect me from an AD.

MattyLite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    While I don't have a P938 I do have 2 P238s. I like the trigger on both and they have smoothed out quite well. They are very accurate guns for me. I carry cocked and locked in a pocket holster as well and don't give it a second thought.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    I got mine because I love my 1911s and wanted to have a pocket carry option.

I don't have any issue with the trigger and did not notice it being that hard to pull.

Mark

anthony010

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Westfield
    I picked up the Nightmare from a guy who bought 2 of them. It came with 2 7's and 1 6rd mag. and a small sig OWB holster. I really like this gun. The trigger doesn't bother me love that it came with the Siglites but I am going to change to the XS Big Dots. ive put about 75 rds w/o a hiccup. I love the size, the 1911-like platform. Ive tried most of the sub compact 9mm platforms this gun doesn't hurt when I shot it, i have large hands this is an awesome shooter.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    How can that be? Pocket pistols are very inaccuate. They have terrible sights and a very short sight radius! Congrats on your pistol. I don't have the P938 either, but have 3 P238s, and really like them a lot. I got snagged on the Kahr CM9, which I like almost as much. I actually was out this morning shooting my newest P238. Shoots real nice.:):

downsized_1015131135_zpsed5f1d3c.jpg

Top Bottom