• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    My P229 is a little fat compared to the carbon steel p228s I've seen, but I have not had a single hiccup in the past couple hundred rounds I've run through it. It's a police trade in with lots of holster wear, but there are no fit and finish issues that appear to have been from the factory. The machining is flawless.

My p938 is equally flawless. I have only run about a hundred rounds through it, but I have not had even the slightest failure from it yet. From what I understand, I should still be in the "break in period" on this one, so I think that bodes pretty well.

I can easily say that both are the finest firearms that I own. Lucky me, I get to carry both of them every single day!

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I don't go there much, but on the sig forum Main Page some time back there was some complaining about the MIM parts. That's all I've ever heard. I do like my 226, it's from '96 I believe, night sights are still strong and I can hit about anything with it.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have a hard time posting this because it perpetuates a rumor that may be completely false. But in my circles, dealing with customers, talking to LEOs from near and far, a little buzz about Sig has repeated itself several times recently: Sig quality has slipped.

Now the only Sig I own is a Mosquito. The front sight finally fell off after thousands of rounds as a training gun, so I really wouldn't say that's a quality problem. I am not a Sig dealer, but we do transfer and trade and I have never seen anything that looked questionable. In fact fit and finish have always looked superior. That leaves function.

Anyone have any insight as to were this comes from?
    Probably from the first gen 250 with light strikes on the primers IIRC.
    I have an old 220 that's one of my favorite handguns.

AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Michigan, by way of Indianapolis
    As market share and offerings increase, so does the number of "incidences". I bet the ratio of problems is the same as it's always been. That said, they do seem to work out bugs in version two as of late...but that isn't unusual with lots of companies. I've never owned one that wasn't top notch, and I currently have two, a rifle and a pistol.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Sigs run and run and run, the only problem I've had with them is finish related. My P226 platinum elite, which has a stainless slide, rusted up on me on a hiking trip, along with all the controls. It was in a sealed compartment in my backpack. Since then I've weekly wiped it down with oil and haven't had a problem.

But it is kind of annoying to have a stainless firearm rusting. Meanwhile my kimber stainless II which is my daily carry, gets covered in sweat and is neglected, yet will not rust no matter what I do to it. So this leads me to believe sig's stainless steel quality is lacking.

Also the last time I shot a sig SP2022, the trigger had the strangest and most anemic reset of any pistol I've ever shot. It had 2 "clicks" in the trigger when letting out. Maybe that one was defective as my P226 does not behave that way at all.

The sig pistols are just something I desperately want to like as they offer up everything I want in a pistol, but after shooting them and owning them I feel a little luke warm to them. I would consider their trigger return spring to be a major design flaw and would seriously like to see that changed into something a little more robust. After that, I would be much more happy with them.

Last edited:

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    I still have a LNIB Sig 226 that is over 25 yrs old , that looks/shoots like new. Also a used 220 ST . I have owned many Sigs w/o any problems with any of them . Mosquito is not the best, but many shooters do not like the 250 or the 290. But many love them.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I had a Sig P226 no problems. I still have a Sig TacOps 1911. There was minor problem with the 1911. I went to change the grips and the screw was so tight in one of the bushings that when unscrewing it the bushing came out with the screw. It was striped, not put in correctly at the factory. Well I called Sig, it was a Friday afternoon thinking they would just send me a new bushing or a whole set. Nope, basically the guy told me it was my problem and go find my own bushings to fix it. Now I was very polite thinking this was a very minor problem and the fix was very simple and cheap on Sig's part. Lost some respect for Sig that day. But still think they make quality guns.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I would have to do some personal research so bring over all those Sig's and let me test them out. My cousin owns the small 9mm and his wife the 380 and I have been wanting to shoot them since they bought them. Seem small and light for shooting but I like the old heavy PPK. They have had zero problems. One shooting friend owns a semi customized 226 and another a p2022 and I have shot both of them to the taste of about 500 rounds.

Overall quality of firearms seems to have slipped a bit since the rush after newtown. Just the rush to get everything possible out the door. I like older guns so I am not as versed in all the new ones and what to expect from them. I like mine pre 1990 if possible. Now as new models roll out that maybe less expensive than the older ones they had in the line up maybe a quality slipping public opinion might have come about. The sig booth at the NRA was impressive. It was also packed.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    When SIG first came out with the polymer guns, they had some teething problems (2022, P250). Also when they switched some of their production to the U.S. rather than Germany quality slipped for a year or two.
    I've only owned older SIG's (220,225 and now a 228) and never had problems with them. I am seriously looking at a 227 to replace the 220 I foolishly sold!

Top Bottom