• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m4lover

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    The only pistols my family will ever buy is sig because of their quality. All other brands i have tried dont even hold a stone to sigs.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I believe much of the "Sig quality slipped" came from some teething problems with the Mosquito early on and the run of P220 stainless that had weak extractors, with a healthy dose of "Americans suck and Germans are little precision machines."

My Sig P220 has been flawless, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Sig handgun.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    My issue duty gun has been a Sig P220 for the last 7 years or so and no issues with it. The County Police Dept. issue gun is also a Sig P220 and have not heard of any issue from them either (they have been carry P220's for close to 20 years now and are on their second generation of them).

Sig must becoming the new trendy internet gun to talk smack about (at least from people who don't have them)

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I believe much of the "Sig quality slipped" came from some teething problems with the Mosquito early on and the run of P220 stainless that had weak extractors, with a healthy dose of "Americans suck and Germans are little precision machines."

My Sig P220 has been flawless, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Sig handgun.

Well with this H&K 1st gen USP9 sitting on my desk, I think the germans can get things fit and finished a little nicer than we can. Not to say it's a better gun by any stretch. I mean it's 20 years old and hasn't managed to lose its finish even on the relatively sharp edges.

91ndK99.jpg

Of course I better post my sig to stay on topic!

EXMQsmM.jpg

Hindsight being 20/20 I wish I would have gone with a standard P226 model. Don't care for the short trigger, but the short reset is actually pretty nice.

Last edited:

rolodetective

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Valparaiso
    When SIG first came out with the polymer guns, they had some teething problems (2022, P250). Also when they switched some of their production to the U.S. rather than Germany quality slipped for a year or two.
    I've only owned older SIG's (220,225 and now a 228) and never had problems with them. I am seriously looking at a 227 to replace the 220 I foolishly sold!

I've had a P220 compact (sold it), got a p239 (love it) and have just spent the last few days on the range with a 227.
    You won't be sorry you dropped the coin on one.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I've had several, and have followed them for years. While Sig obviously has had issues with some new models, their overall quality is pretty darn good.

Anecdotally, I bought a skeeter back in the day, and it took 300 rounds and running it soaking wet to get it broken in. I was confused about the seeming lack of quality, until I learned that it had been made by GSG and thus wasn't a "true Sig". Of my others, I have zero negative comments.

chemteach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Plymouth
    I owned one of the early P250's. Could not run a mag without some issue cropping up. Spent about a year ferrying this gun back and forth to Sig. The third trip back, I asked the service rep to forage around their refurbished gun supply and swap my 250 for a gun that worked. He sent me a P239 that has yet to hiccup after several thousand rounds of both factory ammo and home-cast handloads. Good company. I'd buy another Sig, just not a 250.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    P238 magazine issue, 7 round mag won't lock slide back when empty. Bought another mag at nraam have yet to see if it fails to lock the slide back also.

M400 has ran fantastic

DOWNRANGE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2013
    I have a P227 .45 and love it. Have approximately 400 rounds through it with 2 failures to feed. I had it happen with the same mag and got rid of that mag and no more issues. I have a X300 Surefire light on it and that combination is pretty darn good in my opinion.

To me a company shows its true colors when a customer has a true issue and is treated right.

alhambra lion

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I have an older 229 and 239 in 9mm. Both have been flawless. The 229 is probably my favorite pistol. More recently I have naught their 238, 938, and now a 224. All have been fine since first round fired. I am disappointed with some of the design decisions on the 224 though. No full slide rails is my main complaint. Just seems like a step down from the other P2XX series. Functions very well though. Another couple hundred rounds and it will be my EDC. That or the 239.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    We had 120 P226's that several of us had to "break in" with 100 rounds each. We had continuous problems with empty casings stove piping on ejection. We had to deadline all the pistols and delay issue of them. Eventually we got a Sig Armorer onsite and he finally tracked the problem down to faulty mags. Shipped us all new mags. We decided to run 4 complete reloads through each mag (4 mags X 120 pistols.) Again we ran into stove piping. We finally decided to try an aftermarket Mec-Gar mag, no more problems. So we ordered 500 Mec-Gar mags and finally the pistols cleared break-in.

It's possible we just happened to get some bad mags. Once we had 20% failure rates we deadlined all of them, so it's possible half or 3/4 of the mags were fine.

This was the only real issue we ran into which was repeatable with the Sigs. I rather like the Sig pistols myself, those errors gave me many more days to play at the range! :rockwoot:

Co Th G

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    West German 220, 225, 226 and 228 plus an X5. All purchased new and all run without issue with thousands of rounds through them.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    The first thing people do these days when they're not fans of a given make or model gun, is to start in with regurgitating the whole, "Their quality has slipped", song and dance routine. Most have not even handled the weapon in question, let alone fired or own it. It's like asking a Chevy owner about a Ford.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I currently own 3 Sigs and all have been great guns. My latest is a Sig Railed Nickel 1911 and has been flawless through 300 rounds since I bought it last month. One of mine is a P238 and it's been a fantastic gun from day 1. I have not tracked the round count on that one closely, but I think it's up to around 800 or so. It's both easy and fun to shoot for a micro sized semi auto in .380.

Bravo-4-2

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    If you have only owned a Mosquito, you have not yet owned a SIG. Production in the U.S. has had its ups and downs but does appear to be better now than ever before. Is it up to the level of the SIG guns from Germany of the 1980-90s? Probably not quite yet.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I can't say anything bad about Sig. Recently bought my first, an M400 AR rifle. Seems like a great gun so far. While I do not own any Sig handguns yet, the many friends that own them say they are excellent. I wouldn't think anything with the company is slipping.

Top Bottom