• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I have the opportunity to lay my hands on a Sig 556 like the one pictured.

sig_556_1.jpg

I am interested to hear what those of you in the know have to say about this rifle. I have read of some accuracy issues with light weight bullets and I have also read of great accuracy. This is not intended as a sniper rifle so sub moa is not that important. I am also interested about realibility, ease of use, cleaning, available accesories and any other tid bits of wisdom you may have.

I was drawn to it because of the gas piston operating system, the Sig name, and the fact that it is a little "different" than the typical AR platform.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    It's front heavy. Be careful the first time cleaning it. When removing the pin, make sure you don't let that front drop like a hammer. And a gun with that price, the rear sight is a joke. Otherwise, it shoots well and heavy to carry around without any add on.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    It is quite front heavy, especially the swat version...and especially when you add a vert. grip with batteries in it, and a light. There is a rail system from Troy that is lighter than the stock SWAT quad rail. The rear site is more than laughable. And I have found mine to be picky with cheap steel cased ammo.

With the negatives out of the way...I really love my 556 SWAT. Mine came with the folding magpul CTR?(the model is escaping me right now) stock that you can fire with while folded. The operating system seems very robust, however I have not tried putting the gun through any "extreme" tests to verify that. I like how the trigger pull can be adjusted by adjusting the nut behind the trigger. I have never had to use the higher gas setting because the rifle has been too dirty to fire, but I have used it with under powered steel cased ammo and that will typically take care of any ammo issues I have seen (except for Wolf classic army...that sh*t must be powerful weak).
    Accuracy is quite good. I have never shot mine from a conventional rest but I have created some 1.5-1.75" groupings at 100yds with a burris Ar332 scope attached. I have found 62gr rounds are more accurate than 55gr, but I have not shot heavier rounds so I can't speak for those.
    Even with the heavy front end I have not had problems transitioning target to target at the range. Now compared to a nice light weight AR there is a significant difference, but the heavier front end helps control recoil (especially since there is no buffer tube to help with that).
    Speaking of recoil...there is something different about it than a typical AR. I can't quite put my finger on it but it is different...not a bad difference, just something to get used to.
    It is a great rifle and a refreshing difference from your typical AR IMO...go for it, you wont be disappointed

edit: check out http://sigarms556.com for much MUCH more info

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Disclaimer: I do not own a Sig rifle or handgun at this current time. I have never owned one of their rifles.

I haven't been reading good things online about Sig here recently, especially about their rifles. It seems like they have been skimping on quality control and customer service.

I guess if I were going to get a rifle on the 5.56 platform I would just go with an AR.

Top Bottom