• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vstrom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Elkhart
    Last year, I had been thinking about getting a .45acp. I hadn't owned a .45 in over 20 years, and the last one I had was a Colt Series 70 1911. While looking for a 1911, I stumbled across a used Sig P220 at what I thought was a decent price. Not knowing much about Sigs, I did a little research on the P220. Turns out, I guess they are pretty decent guns. So, I plunked down the asking price of $500.00 and had it shipped to the LGS.

After picking up the gun, I ran a couple of boxes of FMJ and one box of HP ammo through it, it performed flawlessly.
    I realized this pistol was a keeper. Now, things had changed in the 20 years since I was last shooting 45's, namely, ammo prices. So believing the P220 worthy of the investment, I purchased a Sig 22lr conversion kit. Who would have thought I wouldn't be able to find ammo! After making sure HP's ran through the Sig, I attached a Streamlight to the front rail, and it became my dedicated nightstand gun.

Now I know, that our self defense weapons are merely "tools" and looks do not matter, it still kind of bothered me that there were quite a few scratches and dings in the lower receiver. I had Duracoated a Remington 870 a couple of years ago, and it turned out great, so I knew I would be able to come up with something. I did a search on the internet for images of the P220 and the factory "Combat" version really looked good to me. So, I ordered a bottle of "Burnt Bronze" coating from Cerakote, fired up my air brush, and got to business. Surface preparation is crucial with Cerakote, so once that step is completed, the rest was fairly simple. Long story short, here is my P220 transformation.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Looks good. My Sig P220 is my #2 choice for my carry gun, and if I can find some sights I like better than the factory Sig night sights it may become #1.

The two tone looks really good, nice job.

MattyLite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    You did an awesome job. I love that color combo. Looks like you did a little more than just cerakote. The 220 is a great gun.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Put img codes around your links and people won't have to click them. The pics will just be in the post. Just an FYI.

Looks good. I'd like to one day own a sig as well.

vstrom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Elkhart
    Thanks for all the kind words! As someone pointed out, Cerakoting wasn't the only change made to the pistol. Besides adding the obvious factory FDE Combat grips, I did swap out the original trigger with a short reach version.

IMG code added, thanks for the tip!

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    My brother has a P220 and he loves it. But since he hasn't shoot it for a long long time, he forgot how to de cork it. LOL I didn't get the P220 then because I thought the 8mm would get the job done anyway, plus I already have a 45 ACP Les Baer Custom so I didn't need another 45.

Top Bottom