• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jboritzki

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Does anyone know if there is a .17 HMR barrel for the Sig 522, or if there is anyone developing one? I'd love the option of the 17 in my sig522.

Also, I always hear about trigger work being done to AR rifles or 2 stage triggers, etc. I owned a stock Bushmaster AR and loved the thing. I never noticed any problem with the trigger, so is it that the stock triggers are not that great or is this a competition shooting kind of hair trigger? What's the complaint with the stock trigger and what are the benefits of the trigger job?

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I might be wrong but I am sure others will set me straight if I am.
    A standard AR trigger breaks at 7-8 lbs which meets all government specs. A 'trigger job' helps to make the trigger feel more "crisp," almost like a piece of glass breaking. The only modifications I have ever had done consisted of a trigger modified by Bill Springfield.
    My trigger on my AR now is at about 3.5 lbs and it makes a HUGE difference to me. I had only ever shot rifles and pistols with factory triggers up to this point and now see why people will pay hundreds of dollars for nice assemblies.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Does anyone know if there is a .17 HMR barrel for the Sig 522, or if there is anyone developing one? I'd love the option of the 17 in my sig522.
    I'm not too familiar with the 522 but are the mags and bolt stroke long enough for 17 HMR? You might have to go with 17 HM2.

.22lr = .985"
    .17 HM2 = .985"
    .17 HMR = 1.349"

Unless the mags and stroke are long enough you'll need .17 hm2. I'm sure it could be done with a rebarrel and a little fine tuning.

I am curious though, why?

jboritzki

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I'm not too familiar with the 522 but are the mags and bolt stroke long enough for 17 HMR? You might have to go with 17 HM2.

.22lr = .985"
    .17 HM2 = .985"
    .17 HMR = 1.349"

Unless the mags and stroke are long enough you'll need .17 hm2. I'm sure it could be done with a rebarrel and a little fine tuning.

I am curious though, why?

I'm not sure if they're the same of not. I thought the conversions for the 10/22 was just a .17 barrel. I thought the same mags and bolt and everything was the same. I could be wrong though. I've watched a lot of videos about the .17 caliber and just would like to get a rifle that shoots it one day. Seems to be a more powerful rounds, flatter shooting and longer distance round. High price though for the ammo though compared to .22lr.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    A 17HMR woudln't work in a 522. In theory, with a different barrell and recoil spring, a 17HM2 conversion would work...but read below.

The 10-22 conversions are for 17HM2, not HMR. I don't think you'll find many of them anymore due to case head separation problems in semi autos. I don't know how prevelant the problem was, but it was enough that most everyone that made aftermarket 17HM2 barrels for semi autos quit doing so.

Here's a pic of the rounds... 22LR, 17HM2, 17 HMR and 22 WMR on the right...
    1026466156_bNdtT-Th.jpg

You'll see why the HMR won't work in the 522 the way it's currently designed.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom