• ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I vote DDM4.

If the preverbial S*** really does hit the fan, Which do you think will be the easiest to find spare parts for if somthing should break?

An AR ,which almost all of the gun owning population owns atleast one of, or the Sig while still a great rifle is somewhat of an odd ball?

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    DD4...my uncle has it and its a dream, you will not regret it. I cannot speak on behalf of the Sig though.

Also, training and understanding your tools is a lot more important than what tools you do have. A Craftsman will work just as well as a Kobalt.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    The Sig is a VERY sweet rifle to shoot... the recoil impulse is VERY different from an AR15; almost "pleasant" in a way...

I have one of the old-school 556 rifles. SN puts it at about the 3,000th 556 made, old enough to still have Swiss internals but new enough to not have the finish & rail problems the first couple thousand had. I love it and I will never sell it, although I'm tempted to upgrade to a new style lower to get the folding stock.

I've already decided my next gun purchase will be a 556 SBR that I intend to convert to 300 BLK to get me a great back-pack/briefcase/take it anywhere you want to type of gun.

Parts commonality is worth considering but because you already have an AR15, I wouldn't be concerned about it. The likelihood of that ever coming into play is very, very unlikely. And if it does, you have a back-up gun... The more likely scenario is that if you buy the DDM4 and SHTF never comes, you will regret having 2 AR15 style rifles if you really wanted the Sig rifle in the first place. So consider the liklihood of what this rifle will actually be used for (most likely it will be used for normal range blasting and maybe varmint hunting etc) into your purchase.

I say if you want the Sig, don't lets the parts commonality of the DDM4 sway you. Just get the Sig.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Nothing wrong with DD. I went with the 556 because I like AK's. If I was choosing between two AR type guns it would be more like Sig 516 or whatever. My 556 has become my go to rifle. I still work with the AK's and AR's of course but they are in the safe and the 556 is at the ready.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    The Sig is a VERY sweet rifle to shoot... the recoil impulse is VERY different from an AR15; almost "pleasant" in a way...

I have one of the old-school 556 rifles. SN puts it at about the 3,000th 556 made, old enough to still have Swiss internals but new enough to not have the finish & rail problems the first couple thousand had. I love it and I will never sell it, although I'm tempted to upgrade to a new style lower to get the folding stock.

I've already decided my next gun purchase will be a 556 SBR that I intend to convert to 300 BLK to get me a great back-pack/briefcase/take it anywhere you want to type of gun.

Parts commonality is worth considering but because you already have an AR15, I wouldn't be concerned about it. The likelihood of that ever coming into play is very, very unlikely. And if it does, you have a back-up gun... The more likely scenario is that if you buy the DDM4 and SHTF never comes, you will regret having 2 AR15 style rifles if you really wanted the Sig rifle in the first place. So consider the liklihood of what this rifle will actually be used for (most likely it will be used for normal range blasting and maybe varmint hunting etc) into your purchase.

I say if you want the Sig, don't lets the parts commonality of the DDM4 sway you. Just get the Sig.

There is no need to upgrade the lower if you want a folding stock. I went with a side-folding stock from ACE. Easy to install and cost me around $160 to do it. And you are right about the trigger pull on SIGs, they are an extreme pleasure to shoot.
    picture.php

Tim1911

Marksman
    Rating - 87%
    20   3   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Southside Indy
    I had a 556 and traded it for a 516, and then eventually the 516 for an AR platform. I loved shooting the 556, but missed the modularity/personalization you can get with an AR platform. The 556 was a dream to shoot though. The piston cut down on muzzle rise noticeably, and made for quick follow up shots. The only beef I had with it and the 516 was that if I wanted to do most of anything it had to go to Sig for them to install it (handguards, etc).

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    There is no need to upgrade the lower if you want a folding stock. I went with a side-folding stock from ACE. Easy to install and cost me around $160 to do it. And you are right about the trigger pull on SIGs, they are an extreme pleasure to shoot.

Yeah, I've thought about it but I really like the looks of the Swiss-style folder...

I had a 556 and traded it for a 516, and then eventually the 516 for an AR platform. I loved shooting the 556, but missed the modularity/personalization you can get with an AR platform. The 556 was a dream to shoot though. The piston cut down on muzzle rise noticeably, and made for quick follow up shots. The only beef I had with it and the 516 was that if I wanted to do most of anything it had to go to Sig for them to install it (handguards, etc).
    There are more and more aftermarket options out there every month. You can change out most of the parts yourself, it's just that on some parts Sig won't sell them to you without sending the gun to them. Its stupid, and it's why I hate Sig, but I really like my 556 rifle. Best factory trigger on any battle-style rifle hands-down.

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    I have one of the newer style Sig556 Classic Swat rifles and it is a joy to shoot and so far has been 100% reliable through about 1000 rounds for the relatively short period of time I have had it. The recoil is less than any AR15 I have and doesn't have that 'sproing' sound with the buffer spring. Below are some of the differences that you may either like or dislike:
    1) Sig556 is heavier than an AR-15
    2) Sig556 has a folding stock
    3) Sig556 has a side charging handle
    4) Sig556 ejects spent brass to the 2 o'clock position
    5) The new model Sig556 does not have a fence on the magazine release
    6) Sig556 does not have a chrome lined barrel
    7) Sig556 has a gas piston system (which I haven't cleaned since purchase)
    8) Sig556 has taken every magazine I have including STANAG, PMAG, CAA, Lancer, Troy Battlemags, and Cammenga.
    9) Sig556 has best factory trigger I have ever felt

I have no basis to provide any input on the Daniels Defense choice. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom