• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I have a P226 Elite that I really enjoy shooting. However, unlike my 1911 (pictured below), which will hit whatever I put the front sight on, I must aim high with the Sig. If I place the front sight directly where I want to hit, the round will hit very low. I'm not talking about precision target shooting, I'm talking about plinking steel. There is almost nothing as frustrating as using 12 rounds to hit six pieces of steel!

My first thought was to replace the sights, but with what? So, I'm asking the experts, what are my options?

IMG005.jpg

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Ammo?
    If the sights are fixed and you are using a bullet weight lighter than what the sights are regulated for, it will shoot low. I know it sounds funny but I have proved it with my snubbie over and over.:)

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Are you milking the grip?
    I'm sure the trigger on your 1911 is much crisper than the Sig.
    I sometimes shoot low when I switch back to my Xdm with the stock trigger.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The sights are fixed and I have no idea about the weight of the bullets I used. I got them at the swap meet. However, it is a 40 S&W and I have no idea how to check to see for what grain the sights are regulated. Any pointers?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Are you milking the grip?
    I'm sure the trigger on your 1911 is much crisper than the Sig.
    I sometimes shoot low when I switch back to my Xdm with the stock trigger.

I have wondered if it's just my trigger discipline, but I've never been this far off. I actually have to aim above the target in order to hit, at approximately 15 yards. :dunno:

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I have wondered if it's just my trigger discipline, but I've never been this far off. I actually have to aim above the target in order to hit, at approximately 15 yards. :dunno:

What bullet weight are you using? I think the standard for 40 would be 180 or 165

Sorry I missed the above post:)
    I would get some different bullet weights and try them. It might be that easy.
    If that isn't it contact SIG or a good gunsmith, Measure your front sight and get a new one installed that is a little taller/shorter(I think in this case it would be shorter) or put on an adjustable rear. I would go for the adjustable rear that way you can tune it to your ammo.

Last edited:

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    You dont have combat sights on the Sig do you? I know with my Beretta 92FS (combat sights) I must "hold over" on the target. With my XD it's pretty much at the 6 o'clock possition.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    i doubt it's your trigger control...usually the indicator of that is low AND left.....after having my trigger finger "reattached" I have to really pay close attention to my trigger control with pistols....I would go for the adjustable rear too probably....but I'm surprised you're having this issue especially with a 226

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If hitting high was experienced with swap meet ammo of unknown weight, it could very well just be an ammo issue. Do you know if they were reloads or commercial? I've loaded some ammo on the light side that shot very low. My recommendation would be to get a box of good carry ammo and see how it works with that. Hopefully, it was just an ammo issue. BTW, nice looking guns.

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Hi Que,

As others have wisely suggested, first verify that it is not your grip etc. As someone who has to fight "milking" his grip etc I know this to be the first step, often it is the indian not the arrow. That said we had a gent at ECPR with a new SIG that definately had sight regulation issues. I was surprised as normally the SIG 22X series have excellent CQ. Try shooting your Sig from a rest or have other solid shooters test it for point of impact vs. point of aim.

IF it is off have a look at Dawson Precisions excellent guide, with a great formula and explanation:

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/images/Instructions/FrontSightHeight.pdf

From there you can determine exactly what front height you need and they carry a wide range of SIG sights. Of course as Riverman suggested you can go with an adjustable rear. Sight change on your Sig will not be difficult no matter which route you go. They have most Front sight types, so you could match up sytle to your TRP for consistency of picture, always a good thing!

Top Bottom