• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GCA321321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I am looking on Amazon for some sight paint for my little .380, but, none have particularly great reviews. Most of the paints require brief exposure to UV light in order to glow, which makes it largely useless for its intended purpose (unless I want to add a UV light to my EDC gear).

I have also seen some glow adhesive strips you can cut out to fit gun sights and some glow ink pens.

Anyone have any recommendations and/or advice? Thanks in advance!

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I don't think you'll actually be able to get a good glow without tritium which probably isn't made the little sight of a 380. The adhesive strips will probably come off in time and the glow pens probably won't be as bright as they look. Personally I would just find some of the brightest green or orange paint ( think neon ) and paint the sight. That why is there is ambient light you'll be able to pick up the sight. Think about it, If you are pulling your gun in pitch black darkness then you should not be firing it until you can actually see the threat and what is around it. So having actually glowing sights aren't much of a help unless there is ambient light ( whether the moon, flashlight, or some other source ) to help light up the target. Just my opinion

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Yeah, glowing sites other than tritium are really not going to do anything for you, unless you can quickly charge them with a flashlight or something. I had a j-frame awhile back which had a front sight I painted. It's hard to describe but I looked at the sight picture and marked what portion of the front sight was seen with a proper sight picture. It was like a third of the sight blade (or something like that). I painted the bottom portion of that part of the sight white and the top part fluorescent orange. Used model paint, worked great. The front sight was WAY easier to pick up, and the paint held up really well despite being carried in a belly band most days.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I used neon fingernail polish on my pistol sights. It is really bright. Orange on the front and grean on the rear and really stands out. I clean my guns often and it has not worn off in the 2 years I have used it.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Here is a pic of the painted sights on my S&W. They are way brighter then they appear. But you get the ideal. Fingernail polish works great. And if you don't like it you can take it off easily.

GCA321321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the tips all.

1911ly, that orange looks nice and bright. Nicely done. I think I will be stopping by Walmart's nail polish section this weekend.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Thanks for the tips all.

1911ly, that orange looks nice and bright. Nicely done. I think I will be stopping by Walmart's nail polish section this weekend.

YW, I looked at a lot of polish before I decided on this stuff. I got a lot of strange looks searching lol. That stuff is Studio M brand Color is called Orange Hot. It is a Lacquer paint so it holds up awesome! It is really florescent. A lot more then shows in the pic. I put it on in layers. It is really thick and doesn't rub off but a little acetone and it is gone.

Top Bottom