• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Whats a good universal site pusher to buy? I really like the looks of this one...

Handgun Sight Pusher Tool Universal for 1911 Glock Sig Springfield and Others | eBay

But am worried that it won't be 'tall enough' for my M&P Core sites if I ever want to remove them. They sit pretty high. I saw some say 'not good for ghost ring sights'.

This one seems like it would fit the bill but looks SOOOO much more chincy than the other one...

Fisher Solutions - XL Tool - El Cajon, CA

Although 90% of what I'm seeing are basically a piece of square tubing cut, tapped, with some aluminum gizmos to do the pushing.(a lot on fleabay are 35-50 bucks)

Anyone have any thoughts?

I'd like to be able to remove sights from my pistols(M&Ps mainly) and I'd love to use it on my Uberti 73 rifle...but doubt they'd work well for it...but don't know them well enough yet to know for sure.

Thanks,

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    OP - I have the Fisher Solutions tool you link to above. I got the version with all the adapters. I was told I would never get the rear sight out of my XD. It wasn't easy but this tool did the job.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    My advice after just going through this:

Make sure the threads are fine enough so that the pusher doesn't push very far per turn. Some of the cheap ones have courser threading and fine adjustment is out of the question.

Personally, I buy Dawson sights most of the time. I file them to fit and actually prefer to tap them into place in lieu of using a sight pusher. If you file sights made to be fit by hand (Dawsons are of this variety), you can get a great fit, and sights will tap in very nicely.

The only potential downside is that if you don't know what you're doing, you could bust a tritium vile if you tap too hard. Do it right, and it's no problem, though.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Personally, I buy Dawson sights most of the time. I file them to fit and actually prefer to tap them into place in lieu of using a sight pusher. If you file sights made to be fit by hand (Dawsons are of this variety), you can get a great fit, and sights will tap in very nicely.

The only potential downside is that if you don't know what you're doing, you could bust a tritium vile if you tap too hard. Do it right, and it's no problem, though.

^^^^^^^^^this

Just about anything pistol related that I have done, a brass or delrin punch is all I have ever used. I have done M&P sights and you will have no problem using a punch as long as you are CAREFUL. Tap on the dovetail and not the sight blade. It is easy to slip off the small dovetail on front sights (ask me how I know) and you can break or bend the blade. Dawson sights as mentioned above even come with a little installation punch that is aluminum with a delrin tip.

Cant really answer your original question as I dont have much experience with the pushers, but my .02 is that you dont need one for most applications. However, you might need a dovetail file of the correct angle to get the dovetail on the sight to fit the pistol dovetail. Also a little green loctite in the dovetail will help keep it in place.

Last edited:

TWEAKD4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    NE Indiana
    I am in the search of a sight pusher as well to install my Apex DCEAK. My search for value priced pushers has lead me to the same two options. I am curious which you end up with.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    This one seems like it would fit the bill but looks SOOOO much more chincy than the other one...

Fisher Solutions - XL Tool - El Cajon, CA

Although 90% of what I'm seeing are basically a piece of square tubing cut, tapped, with some aluminum gizmos to do the pushing.(a lot on fleabay are 35-50 bucks)

Anyone have any thoughts?

I'd like to be able to remove sights from my pistols(M&Ps mainly) and I'd love to use it on my Uberti 73 rifle...but doubt they'd work well for it...but don't know them well enough yet to know for sure.

Thanks,

I have got the Fisher, it is pretty bendy for a really stuck sight that you need to get mean with so you may find yourself going back to the hammer and punch, sort of depends on the profile of the sight base I think. I prefer it when I'm trying to move a new sight just a tiny smidge though.
    The only sight I have given up on was on a S&W shield, took it to a gunsmith and he ended up hitting it with the big hammer as hard as he dared and then advised we send it back to S&W. Sent it to S&W and told them where the gun was hitting and they moved it for free (except postage which is not that much for just a slide).

Skyhawk

NRA Life Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    Richmond Indiana
    I have an original Fisher which doesn't have all the adjustment blocks. I've done sight installations on M&Ps. Glocks, Berettas, you name it. It works but as with any "Universal" tool it has its good points and bad. But it will work.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Maryland gun works is about the best one going right now. i'm probably pushing 4 figures on how many sights i've changed with it and it still works as good as the day i bought it. absolutely cannot go wrong.

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    I started looking at the Maryland, it's more expensive than I wanted, and then realized you have to buy "shoes" for all the different guns you want to work on. I'd have another $100+ in shoes on top of the $300 tool. Probably good for a shop or gunsmith, but too spendy the for the hobbyist.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I bought this one a few years ago work good. I just pressed the sights on my S&W CORE with it and I have the tall sights on it too. I did have to take out the lower block and fanigle it some the sight touched the pusher screw and the dovetail just skimmed the slide holding blocks.

Handgun Sight Pusher Tool Universal for Front or Rear 1911 Glock Sig and Others | eBay

I bought one like this on eBay without the blocks. I have used it for 6 Glocks now without an issue.

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    I also ordered that one after some epic fails with punches. There is a heavy duty version of that one for a lot more money. Robot Check It looks like it works the same, but has a much beefier housing block.

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    Look what I got in the mail today...

Just pushed the front sight off of my Wilson ULCC and then back on in just seconds! Can't wait to put it to work this weekend. Probably an overkill but it beats the he11 out of using a hammer and brass/aluminum punch!

Top Bottom