• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Sighted in my new 870 20 gauge cantilever barrell today.

Used:
    • Remy Accutip
    • Remy Copper solid
    • SST
    • Remy Buckhammer
    • Federal Barnes Expander - 3 inch
    The Buckhammer was used to initially get on paper. After I was on it produced 1 inch groups at 50 yards. My best group was with the federal. It actually was touching for a 3 shot group.

Accutips were ok..2-3 inches. Copper solids were all over the place. SST was off as well.

Bought the Federals on a whim since they had a 5 buck rebate. Glad I did. I find it weird the 1500 fps buckhammer on the low end and the 1900 fps 3 inch shot close. I would have figured the accutp at 1850 fps would have performed better.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    The general rule of thumb is the faster a bullet/slug travels the more the window opens up for less accuracy. As an example, you will see competition bowling pin shooters down loading their 38 Spl. rounds to 800-900fps for better accuracy. Speed is not as important as accuracy. I'm still shooting 2 3/4" lightfield sabots (20ga.) and they are only in the 1300 to 1400 fps range but very accurate. :twocents:

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    The general rule of thumb is the faster a bullet/slug travels the more the window opens up for less accuracy. As an example, you will see competition bowling pin shooters down loading their 38 Spl. rounds to 800-900fps for better accuracy. Speed is not as important as accuracy. I'm still shooting 2 3/4" lightfield sabots (20ga.) and they are only in the 1300 to 1400 fps range but very accurate. :twocents:

Good info! I prob should just use the buckhammer. They are cheap too. Wonder why the barnes works so well.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Both mine and my son's Savage 220's love the Barnes Expander. Both of them also hated the Hornady SST's. Where is the rebate for the Federals? I just ordered 7 boxes from Cabalas a couple weeks ago.

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    I have used 12 gauge 3 in 1 oz copper solids in my 870 since the day i got it....those things are devestating.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Good info! I prob should just use the buckhammer. They are cheap too. Wonder why the barnes works so well.

Every gun has it's own "personality" so to speak. You can take 3 or 4 different guns of the same manufacture & model and it is likely that one gun will shoot a cetain slug better than the others and another gun will shoot a different slug better than the others and so forth. Your gun apparently likes the Barnes.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Lightfields are good for 870 too
    Brad uses these in his Ultra Slug Hunter. I might need to try these.

I also sighted in my TC omega today with new powder and projectile.

Barnes T-ez all copper sabots with 2 777 pellets were spot on. Its gonna be hard not to take it on Saturday. I like pulling back the hammer, the light trigger. HICKMAN I know you like the black powder guns.

Top Bottom