• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mitchell0481

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Crown point
    I am heading to the range tomorrow to sight in my Remington 700 308, and I am wondering what distance I should zero at. I have just acquired a a Leupold Ultra 10XM2 which I mounted today. I was thinking a good 200 yard Zero should do, what do you think?

This is the reticle.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Personally, I like to know and sight in my rifle for maximum point-blank range. That is, within any distance from here to "there" the impact will be +/- 3 inches (1.5 for varmint rifles).

Now this does require some knowledge of the ballistics of the load. However, for .308, "there" (the maximum point blank range) is past 300 yards.

As for sighting in, you don't actually need a range that let's you shoot 300+ yards. You just need to know where the impact should be at the range you are shooting. For instance, a .243r should have a MPBR of about 280 yards. And if I want to hit my target out to that distance, I know that at 100 yards the impact should be 2.5 inches above the point of aim.

The beauty of this is that for any target out to MPBR, there's no need to make any adjustments in the field or and compensations.

Here's a good starter table:
    Rifle Trajectory Table

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    It appears that the reticle is set up to be zeroed at 100 for the top hash mark. Based on what grain of bullet and velocity you are getting from your specific load, you should be able to use that reticle to get close hits out to 1000 yards or meters (whichever it is calibrated for).

As long as you use the correct hash on your reticle, it shouldn't really matter what range you zero for. Make sure you verify that you are hitting close to your POI at different ranges though.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It appears that the reticle is set up to be zeroed at 100 for the top hash mark. Based on what grain of bullet and velocity you are getting from your specific load, you should be able to use that reticle to get close hits out to 1000 yards or meters (whichever it is calibrated for).

As long as you use the correct hash on your reticle, it shouldn't really matter what range you zero for. Make sure you verify that you are hitting close to your POA at different ranges though.
    Fixed. You always hit the point of impact by definition.

Mitchell0481

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Crown point
    Personally, I like to know and sight in my rifle for maximum point-blank range. That is, within any distance from here to "there" the impact will be +/- 3 inches (1.5 for varmint rifles).

Now this does require some knowledge of the ballistics of the load. However, for .308, "there" (the maximum point blank range) is past 300 yards.

As for sighting in, you don't actually need a range that let's you shoot 300+ yards. You just need to know where the impact should be at the range you are shooting. For instance, a .243r should have a MPBR of about 280 yards. And if I want to hit my target out to that distance, I know that at 100 yards the impact should be 2.5 inches above the point of aim.

The beauty of this is that for any target out to MPBR, there's no need to make any adjustments in the field or and compensations.

Here's a good starter table:
    Rifle Trajectory Table

As long as you use the correct hash on your reticle, it shouldn't really matter what range you zero for. Make sure you verify that you are hitting close to your POI at different ranges though.

Thank you for the info. I am going to a 750 yard range, so I will Zero at 100 and move on down the line and check my point of impact at each yard line.:D. 750 will be the goal! Going to be shooting 168gr matchking HPBT.:rockwoot: got a few others to try out also.

wlkjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2013
    Thank you for the info. I am going to a 750 yard range, so I will Zero at 100 and move on down the line and check my point of impact at each yard line.:D. 750 will be the goal! Going to be shooting 168gr matchking HPBT.:rockwoot: got a few others to try out also.
    I do the same but back up to the 50 and 75 yard marks just for reference.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I have never seen Leupold Ultra optic with that reticle. Did Leupold bring back the Ultra with a different reticle or what?

Top Bottom