• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdorp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Any opinions on fixed rear sights vs. adjustable? I hear good things about the Dawson adjustable sights. Any experience with those? Thanks!

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Any opinions on fixed rear sights vs. adjustable? I hear good things about the Dawson adjustable sights. Any experience with those? Thanks!

I'm not expert, but my understanding is that use of adjustable rear sights requires a taller front sight.

jdorp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    I'm not expert, but my understanding is that use of adjustable rear sights requires a taller front sight.

Thats is my understanding as well. I believe Dawson recommends a .300 front sight. Anybody run this setup?

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I prefer fixed if I can get the sight picture and poi I want. Less likely to get bumped out of alignment, fewer parts to break or work loose, etc.

-rvb

I feel the same way, mostly.
    For a carry gun, fixed is the only way to fly.
    For a competition only gun, where one might find himself changing or developing a certain load tailored to recoil, accuracy or power factor then adjustables offer a good benefit.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Okay Rob377 and rvb you talked me into trying them. :)

I just ordered a set of Warren Sevigny competition sights. I went with the .245" high fiber optic and the plain rear. I might try the plain front sight later but will start with the FO.

You guys were right, these are much better. I still move like pondwater but the sights made a big difference.

DiscMonkey22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2014
    indianapolis
    I recently got the dawson precision competion fixed for my G34. I went with the .125 rear and .105 front. ...there is still room for light on each side of the front post....but skinny enough not to cover the whole target. They were very helpful and will swap out front sight if you have any issues with POA vs POI. ...just my 2 cents.

Friction

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Terre Haute
    I used the DP sites on a G34. I started with 125 wide rear and 115 front and it worked but I prefer 115 wide rear and 105 widefront.

It may just be my eyes but I also found switching to green FO in the front vs. the red that came installed improved my front site focus.

Note about DP is that if you order direct from the DP website you can exchange them to tweak your POI without any additional restocking cost If your order from any of their retailers you may not be able to do that.

Friction

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Terre Haute
    Another note about DP sites is that I don't think they tumble the sites after they cut them so the top edges of the front site are very sharp/crisp 90deg angles. Some other companies tumble the metal parts to soften the edges which is not wrong but it is noticeable in the sight picture and subjectively seems less crisp to me.

Top Bottom