• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Bubba, it's just like asking for a holster recommendation. The first step is--get a box.:D

I like Troy Industries (the circle, not the funky diamond). Lots of light. Good hunting, sir.

Bubba42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Peru
    The .450 Bushmaster I will be using for hunting. So, I guess would probably be looking more at scopes rather than iron sights.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    The .450 Bushmaster I will be using for hunting. So, I guess would probably be looking more at scopes rather than iron sights.

Given that, and depending on your eyesight, a red dot sight, like an Aimpoint or equivalent would be excellent if you are expecting shots inside of 100yds. If going out past 100yds, a scope with some magnification would be good. A 1-4x scope would be a good compromise, giving you great field of view for close range shots at 1x, but with the ability to zoom for those longer shots.

Vortex Optics - Viper PST 1-4x24 TMCQ (MOA)<br />Tactical

AllenM is a member here and very knowledgeable about scopes.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I have Troy flip up iron sights as back ups on my 5.56 upper. They are great. Very solid in the up position, positive adjustments and decent price. I did put a KNS Precision crosshair front post in mine and I love it. The croshairs are super fine so excellent for longer ranges because they don't cover too much target. At close range you can use them like a double peep sight arrangement and not worry about the crosshairs which makes it very quick.
    As far as the .450 Bushmaster is concerned, I put a Tasco Pro Point red dot on mine the first year and quickly realized that I was not getting anywhere near the full potential out of the round. I mounted a Bushnell Trophy DOA 3-9x40 muzzle loader scope on mine with the thought that the Hornady 250 grainers at 2200 fps were close, ballistically, to an inline load.
    Leaning against a tree, mine will shoot one inch groups at 100 yards and I have shot 3" groups at 250 yards.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I have a set of Troys, Magpul polymers, and the new Magpul Pros. The Troys are nice but the Magpul Pros are my favorite by far.

I have an Aimpoint PRO, Aimpoint Comp M4s, Vortex Viper PSA 1-4, and a Vortex Sparc. Only one I'd like to ditch is the Sparc.

Nate Suns

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Fishers
    I have a set of Troys, Magpul polymers, and the new Magpul Pros. The Troys are nice but the Magpul Pros are my favorite by far.

I have an Aimpoint PRO, Aimpoint Comp M4s, Vortex Viper PSA 1-4, and a Vortex Sparc. Only one I'd like to ditch is the Sparc.

Can I ask why you'd like to ditch the sparc? I only ask because I am currently deciding whether to get the new Sparc or save for an Aimpoint PRO.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Given that, and depending on your eyesight, a red dot sight, like an Aimpoint or equivalent would be excellent if you are expecting shots inside of 100yds. If going out past 100yds, a scope with some magnification would be good. A 1-4x scope would be a good compromise, giving you great field of view for close range shots at 1x, but with the ability to zoom for those longer shots.

Vortex Optics - Viper PST 1-4x24 TMCQ (MOA)<br />Tactical

AllenM is a member here and very knowledgeable about scopes.

Alan A is a pretty good source for scopes as well:):.

If its in your budget, the PST 1-4 is a GREAT option.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Can I ask why you'd like to ditch the sparc? I only ask because I am currently deciding whether to get the new Sparc or save for an Aimpoint PRO.

For the size of the optic itself, the objective is rather small. Feels like I'm trying to look through a straw.

There is also a "double bubble" inside the glass that obstructs the bottom 1/4. If you like lower 1/3 co-witness it can be bothersome.

There are no aftermarket mounts that will give you an absolute co-witness. The Sparc has odd dimensions so an absolute co-witness mount for the Aimpoint Micro gives you lower 1/3 on a Sparc. I didn't read about this problem anywhere prior to purchasing a mount so I bought a lower 1/3 Fortis F1 which I am not able to use. When deploying any buis, you can't see the front post because the Sparc sits too high.

The bikini covers that come with the Sparc are prone to failure.

The brightness gets decently bright but doesn't go low enough for low light situations.

I would suggest saving your money for the PRO. If you do get the Sparc get it from PSA. They have it on sale for $140 or for $160 you get the Sparc and a lower.
    Vortex SPARC Red Dot Optic SPRC

Blemished PSA Bullet Pictogram Lower and Vortex Sparc Optic

As soon as I get another Aimpoint PRO to replace the Sparc, I'll let you know how well the Sparc holds up when being used as the target.

Last edited:

Nate Suns

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Fishers
    I suppose it is a buy once, cry once type deal. I was looking for something for lower 1/3 co-witness so I appreciate the heads up. I might just hold out for a good deal on a PRO, or see if the sparc2 goes over any better than the original.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom