• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I did the KD at Atterbury last October with my Stag model 3 and a Nikon scope. There were advantages and disadvantages to using the scope. Next KD I want to use my other AR with open sights and not sure what sights to use. The rifle has the standard A-2 style front sight and I have a standard MBUS rear that is only windage adjustable. I am not real fond of trying to keep track of the standard front sight to adjust for range. It is way too easy to lose track of detents and chances of going the wrong way are higher than if I was to use some kind of adjustable rear sight. What is everybody else using?
    I have a Matech rear sight that I'd like to try out but I'd rather get a better idea of its accuracy before I attend a KD with it. Of course though, it is still likely it would be more accurate than me anyway.

Thanks, Matt

grunt soldier

Master
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Do you want a folder or fixed sight. imo the best fixed sights out there are the LMT. They aren't cheap but you can usually find them used for reasonable prices. DD 1.5 is pretty nice also but height adjustable either.

You can find knock offs of the LMT for real cheap on ebay and most seem to work well enough. if you want a folder then the matech is pretty solid but the best out there imo is the KAC 200-600 folder. They are also expensive but quality usually is. on these there is a usmc version that is much more reasonably priced. They are in the grey area of being a knock off but most aren't they just were never suppose to make it to the public so they often sell a lot cheaper.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Since I have the Matech, I'll stay with it until I find a reason not to. I'd like to get on a range beyond 100yds to get an idea how I can do with it. May have to make the trek out to Proteq and join there and get their certification to use their longer ranges.
    How accurate is the Matech? I'm assuming it is calibrated to the 62grain ammo. What should I expect with 55g?
    Matt

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    You'll be within an moa. The MaTech is a quick and dirty field sight. It's designed to be close enough to wax a tango. It's not for a match at Perry. Zero her at 25 and give it hellllllll.

Top Bottom