Sights on Slide or not for Glock Open Class?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Just started looking into sights for a Glock Open Class pistol. Is this just a preference choice? Slide-Ride or Frame mount? I am new to this Open Class stuff, so I will keep looking

SJC_Conv_Compensator_Mount.jpg

Open+Glock+34-1c.jpg

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    while i am not a competitor in that category, and i dont know if your question is actually whether its legal or not. common sense to me would say you would want your sight in a fixed spot. i just believe it will be easier to maintain visual contact w/ a sight thats not moving as much. there is no way you can keep focus on a sight on the slide during recoil, therefore everytime the slide goes back into battery you have a very brief moment when you are refocusing on it. may not amount to much, and there are probabably other variables that will would effect follow up shots more, but thats my .02 take it or laugh at it and leave it.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    i just believe it will be easier to maintain visual contact w/ a sight thats not moving as much. there is no way you can keep focus on a sight on the slide during recoil, therefore everytime the slide goes back into battery you have a very brief moment when you are refocusing on it. may not amount to much, and there are probabably other variables that will would effect follow up shots more, but thats my .02 take it or laugh at it and leave it.

That makes sense to me, frame mounted sights looks bulky to me but I am sure there is a good reason that people go to the trouble to mount them onto the frame like this. Obviously, this will affect the holster design as well.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Frame mounted sights = the older way

Slide mounted sights = the new school way

The truth is, its only recently that sights were small and light enough <as well as resilient enough> to be mounted on the slide.

The slide is moving, very VERY fast, I would not worry about refocusing or even the perception of the slide moving. It works for me anyway. I would say, mount it on the slide.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Frame mounted sights = the older way

Slide mounted sights = the new school way

The truth is, its only recently that sights were small and light enough <as well as resilient enough> to be mounted on the slide.

The slide is moving, very VERY fast, I would not worry about refocusing or even the perception of the slide moving. It works for me anyway. I would say, mount it on the slide.

Thanks Dom, I may pick your brain, cause I will need a sight and mount, then a maybe a compensated barrel, depends on when I run out of money:laugh:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    told you i wasnt in the know.... i am sure on this board you can probably find someone who has both and will let you try them to see what you like yourself. the slide mounted one might have an application in home defense for a lady if you go w/ something like the RMR that doesnt need batteries and is always on.

Top Bottom