• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    After meeting with my instructor, I now know how to correctly use my sights. Now that I know how to utilize it. I'm not sure if I'd like to keep my sights stock or get new sights. I understand the difference between fixed and adjustable sights. It's self explanatory. I just don't understand why one would have an edge over the other. If I do decide to get sights, I don't know the variety of all of different kinds sights there are out there. So I guess my questions are...

Why or why not should I invest in new sights?
    How does fixed or adjustable sights have an edge over each other?
    What sights would you recommend to me and why?
    Or use the money for more training, worry about sights later on down the road?

If it helps. This would be for a Glock 26 Gen. 4.

Thanks for your time, Gulley

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Why or why not should I invest in new sights?

If your current sights do not meet your needs, get ones that do.

Often people invest in new sights that are made of stronger materials, offer a different sight picture, include tritium (night sights), or have more adjustability.

How does fixed or adjustable sights have an edge over each other?

Most often you'll find adjustable sights on competition guns and fixed sights on carry/combat/fighting guns. Why? Because fighting guns are often used and abused, and adjustable sights could get knocked out of alignment.

What sights would you recommend to me and why?

That comes down to personal preference. I went from stock white 3-dots, to Trijicon (tritium) 3-dots, to TruGlo TFO (tritium & fiber optic) 3-dots, to XS Sights Big Dots, and now run Ameriglo Hack Sights (single tritium front and blacked out rear).

Or use the money for more training, worry about sights later on down the road?

If there's nothing inherently wrong about your current sights (they allow you to make hits) then I'd recommend refining your tastes by taking as much training as possible. Eventually you will see a need that other sights can meet and you'll try them.

:twocents:

chewmaize

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    If your current sights do not meet your needs, get ones that do.

Often people invest in new sights that are made of stronger materials, offer a different sight picture, include tritium (night sights), or have more adjustability.

Most often you'll find adjustable sights on competition guns and fixed sights on carry/combat/fighting guns. Why? Because fighting guns are often used and abused, and adjustable sights could get knocked out of alignment.

That comes down to personal preference. I went from stock white 3-dots, to Trijicon (tritium) 3-dots, to TruGlo TFO (tritium & fiber optic) 3-dots, to XS Sights Big Dots, and now run Ameriglo Hack Sights (single tritium front and blacked out rear).

If there's nothing inherently wrong about your current sights (they allow you to make hits) then I'd recommend refining your tastes by taking as much training as possible. Eventually you will see a need that other sights can meet and you'll try them.

What he said :draw:

ericb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    you will eventually feel the need to try different sites, as you find adjustments a nice feature, but if its a carry gun , fixed sites are best and most durable.

JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    The Glock's current stock sights get the job done. I have no issues, the sights do their job only if I do mine. My only concern about the sights is that I can't see the sights in the dark. I'm worried this could be a problem if I'm faced to use my weapon in a SD situation in low light/dark. Is this much of a concern considering that most SD situations take place at 10 feet from target?

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    aside from the obvious of being able to see the sights during a low light encounter, i enjoy the comfort of waking up in the middle of the night, looking next to my alarm clock and seeing 3 glowing dots in the darkness. if the need were to ever arise, it would be very quick and easy to identify my pistol and grab it.

Ryan281

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Night sights will be tougher because they are steel and if you want to be able to line them u in a lw light situation they are the best.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    IMO, there is way to much emphasis on sights. Take a point shooting class to see why.

At the most, all you really need is a front sight.

Invest your money in training. The more I train, the less I use the sights on pistols.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    A Glock 26 is a fighting pistol that is designed to be carried daily. I don't think you will find any benefit to putting adjustable sights on it. I do, however, think any carry pistol benefits from having night sights. I personally only put a night sight on the front and leave the rear sight stock. A lot of people replace front and rear. If I ever needed to use the pistol in the dark, I only want to see one dot (the same dot that training teaches you to focus on).

Top Bottom