Sign the petition to stop a world wide gun ban.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    You don't have to have an NICS and fill out an ATF 4473 there?

The Feds don't get the 4473. They are kept in the bound book at the FFL in all states. The Feds don't keep the records. For them to use the 4473 to ID gun owners they'd have to seize every bound book from every FFL Then spend years collating, entering data, etc to even be able to search it. Then comes the fact that there is no federal requirement to notify if the firearm was sold, lost, or stolen.

I love watching CSI, NCIS, and other crime shows, but cringe every time they pull that 'This gun was registered to such and such from BFE' crap. It's Hollyweirds way of conditioning the masses to believe it.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The Feds don't get the 4473. They are kept in the bound book at the FFL in all states. The Feds don't keep the records. For them to use the 4473 to ID gun owners they'd have to seize every bound book from every FFL Then spend years collating, entering data, etc to even be able to search it. Then comes the fact that there is no federal requirement to notify if the firearm was sold, lost, or stolen.

I love watching CSI, NCIS, and other crime shows, but cringe every time they pull that 'This gun was registered to such and such from BFE' crap. It's Hollyweirds way of conditioning the masses to believe it.

People do believe it, too. I can't tell you how many times I try to get serial numbers for guns that were stolen and the owner says "they were registered to me" or "they were registered to my dad". That doesn't help.

I don't think its any big conspiracy, I think its just much more interesting than reality. It'd be a lousy show if they sat there for 3 months waiting for DNA to come back, spent 3 hours trolling various web sites looking for stolen items, and then watched video surveillance from three angles for the rest of the season...

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    I've never seen an episode of either of those shows. I really do not believe that the feds don't keep the records.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    Whole lot of wasted effort on the part of people who don't actually understand how the US government, the UN, and this treaty in particular all work in this thread.

And the best part is that someone else will make an identical thread in two weeks and people will rush to defend their second amendment rights against the BlueHelmets all over again.

:laugh:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I've never seen an episode of either of those shows. I really do not believe that the feds don't keep the records.

Talk to an FFL holder and ask them if they forward copies of the 4473 to the feds. Or perhaps, they're in on it.

As for conditioning the masses, I don't believe in a conspiracy, really, but there is something to the notion of conditioning people to the idea of national registration. I can see the average schmuck saying: "wait, we don't have registrations?!?"

Even my 15 year old son....my OWN SON, when I recently bought a couple of guns said: "they just let you walk out with them the same day" What then ensued was a lengthy lecture/rant about the Constitution. He wishes he never said anything.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Despite all evidence to the contrary, you honestly think there is an illegal FBI/NSA/CSI/etc. database of firearm records?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Talk to an FFL holder and ask them if they forward copies of the 4473 to the feds. Or perhaps, they're in on it.

As for conditioning the masses, I don't believe in a conspiracy, really, but there is something to the notion of conditioning people to the idea of national registration. I can see the average schmuck saying: "wait, we don't have registrations?!?"

Even my 15 year old son....my OWN SON, when I recently bought a couple of guns said: "they just let you walk out with them the same day" What then ensued was a lengthy lecture/rant about the Constitution. He wishes he never said anything.

What if any information is given when the 4473 is called in for the background check?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    What if any information is given when the 4473 is called in for the background check?

Your identifying info, so they can check you, and type of firearm, i.e. handgun/rifle/shotgun. I don't think there's anything else given by the 01 FFL. The FBI responds with "Proceed", "Deny", or "Delay". If the latter and there is no definitive reply (the former two) prior to three working days, the FFL may (but is not required to) proceed.

Anyone with better info, please do correct any mistakes in the above.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom