Signs of addiction, vacation gun show...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Just got back from Florida. The weather was great, the prices high and going higher and the fishing was meh.

On a bright note, just when we were pulling into town there was a sign for a gun show in the next town where my parents had lived before passing. I decided to give it a try just to see what they had and valued.

Well, it seems the old military stuff isn't too important to them. They had numerous trapdoors, Krags and '03s all 'gun show' priced under $900. I happened on a seller who was just finishing a sale and waited for the final handshake. I walked up to him and said, "Are you tired of carrying around that Springfield?" And I guess he was because we made a trade with less than $650 invested on my side to bring home a nice 1888 Trapdoor with the rod bayonet that was proofed '1891'. It isn't in unused condition but the wood has cartouches as well as character and the bore is sweet.

It is in pieces on the table getting cleaned up and stabilized right now and I will post pics when done. This gun is a shooter and should clean up real nice. It may be a 'Bannerman' as the numbers and proofs don't match up, but for a shooter I care not. I have plenty of 45-70 and the ability to make more. This makes a nice companion to my Trapdoor carbine that I redid this summer and I plan to make smoke with them this deer season.

It is getting to be where 45-70 is a common caliber in my collection, my grandfather had a 1873 in his attic the whole time I was growing up. I am fulfilling a childhood desire, it would seem, but I do get a kick out of these old smoke poles.

If anyone wants to share their favorite load for these old guns I would like to hear them. I won't be running cased bullets (for any reason) through it. I have everything from 300 to 405gr including some of the long range 'steeple' projectiles and the ability to load paper wrapped.

For an addiction, I did pick a versatile one...

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I make loads with Trailboss. Not home to check my notes so I won't give a charge weight. I use both 340 and 405 grain home cast bullets. They both shoot well but the 405 is the better one. I also make true BP rounds. 65 grains by volume of ffg, an over powder card, a squirt of bore butter and seat to slight compression. The bore butter squeezes up around the bullet at seating. Works well.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    First pic is of the stock. It has been stripped, cleaned, stained and 1 coat of Tung oil applied. As you can see it has a lot of 'character' so that is why I chose not to steam the stock. All the marks look honest except for where they let their pet beaver try to get the back ring off. Don't ask me why people who have such little knowledge attempt things out of their depth but pushing DOWN on the keeper and sliding the ring forward? This guy must have been out of his depth in a mud puddle, but it is what it is.

The proof on the side tells the actual date of manufacture, so this walnut was cut, dried and made into a stock by the year 1891.

DSC05881.JPG
    DSC05882.JPG
    DSC05883.JPG

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Just got done with the barreled receiver, I think it turned out nice.

DSC05886.JPG
    DSC05884.JPG
    DSC05885.JPG

Update: I have found out that at the end of the run there were several 'out of sequence' rifles assembled from left overs. The fit on this gun is spot on, the key hole butt plate is an exact fit to the stock and all the parts are period. The early serial number with a 1891 dated stock threw me but after reading the 'Trapdoor Collector FAQ' page it all falls into place. So, not an exact match to my Bannerman Krag and trapdoor carbine, but close enough...

Last edited:

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    These things were originally 'battle sighted' in for 250 yards. Some previous owner already added a taller front sight to get it on paper at 100 yards but every load changes impact as they have a trajectory like a rainbow...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    These are the three 'late Indian/early Spanish' war selection that I have reworked this year. Top is an 1884 early carbine with the two piece trigger guard, a Bannerman special.

Middle is a Bannerman special Krag Jorgenson carbine.

Bottom is a late production 1888 trapdoor with the unusual barrel length of 31 inches (which puts it right between a cadet and a rifle)
    A cadet measures 29 and 5/8 inches and the rifle is 32 and 5/8ths inches.

Top and bottom are both 45-70 while the middle is 30-40 Krag.

The bottom rifle represents the last single shot rifle accepted by the military. The middle is the first bolt action rifle accepted by the military.

So much history...

PS: I have not yet shot any of these three rifles. I know, I am a dummy...

DSC05890.JPG
    DSC05891.JPG
    DSC05892.JPG

Bstarkey_46947

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2021
    Indiana
    I typically look up the gun shops/show in the vicinity where we vacation in Florida for an excuse to break away from the pool. They have some nice gun stores down there.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I typically look up the gun shops/show in the vicinity where we vacation in Florida for an excuse to break away from the pool. They have some nice gun stores down there.
    What area do you go?, My daughter lives near Bartow, I found a few gun stores, but I could always look at more!! I tried to make it to the Kel Tec factory, but it was across the state, and ran out of time.. Mongo, where did you go? Gun show wise?

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    What area do you go?, My daughter lives near Bartow, I found a few gun stores, but I could always look at more!! I tried to make it to the Kel Tec factory, but it was across the state, and ran out of time.. Mongo, where did you go? Gun show wise?
    Punta Gorda was this show. They had ammo by the pallet but the same stuff we have up here. Early iron was 2/3 to half what the best buy up here is. I plan to take a pocket full of cash next year...

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    In my 82 trapdoor rifle I use a Lyman 530 gr bullet in front of a full case Swiss 1 1/2, card wad,lube wad, cad wad. At 1000 yards the best it did was 4 hits out of 10 shots. I love the trapdoor better than a Sharps or High Wall.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Punta Gorda was this show. They had ammo by the pallet but the same stuff we have up here. Early iron was 2/3 to half what the best buy up here is. I plan to take a pocket full of cash next year...
    Last time we were in Fl, my son in law shows me a Trapdoor (1881?....) his dad gave him...I told him I'd trade my SKS for it....he refused. Ill have to look at some "old iron" next time I'm down there...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Several good shops in central Florida. A few on Colonial Drive in Orlando. A good one north of Orlando in Longwood (where Triple Aces is based). West in Apopka and all along SOB Trail (South Orange Blossom).

I grew up down there from 2nd grade thru college and still have a sister and two brother in laws there...

Top Bottom