• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Even as his court case was pending, Singh passed a routine gas mask test with his unit. In barring the extensive testing, U.S. District Judge Beryl Howell said it made little sense since 100,000 soldiers had been allowed beards for medical reasons.

Yeah. "Shaving bump" profiles were a thing even when I was in. Either you can serve with a beard or you can't. If you can, then anyone should be allowed one. If you can't, then you aren't fit for active duty if you can't shave.

This is, frankly, one of the issues with military standards. They often have little bonafide requirement behind them...and if they do they are ignored when convenient.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    6269454889_036428fcb3.jpg

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    India is on our side and has been for a long time. The Bangalore Torpedo's and Dum-Dum soft point bullets came from India and they fought well in WWII. If someone is willing to serve their country, then I say they can be allowed some slack for their faith. I also think that beards should be allowed for all, if people want to wear them, but keep them tidy.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    As long as it doesn't effect his ability to act in combat I don't mind. I was wondering about the gas mask thing myself, but if he passed he passed. Don't see any problem with having a turban in place of any other hat, and I think it looks pretty darn cool in camo.

Hellhound1055

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2015
    Indianapolis
    As long as it doesn't impede combat and other routines, then I see no issue with it personally. As the Sikhs have shown their capability both in combat and as allies then I further support it.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I've served with some really outstanding soldiers who were Sikhs. Let them wear turbans and beards and ceremonial daggers. I have no complaints about them.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Whatever...

Problem? Lol
    My personal opinion, is that he shouldn't be allowed to have his turban. Military uniforms should be standardized, unless accommodations are made for health reasons. This guy is, as remote as it sounds, a liability to other soldiers. If I'm in a battle and need artillery support, I don't want a delay because the radio guy who is wearing a turban rather than a helmet got killed when a stray piece of shrapnel got lodged in his head. And we are going to go down that route and allow it, then there should be restrictions on where such persons can serve.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Problem? Lol
    My personal opinion, is that he shouldn't be allowed to have his turban. Military uniforms should be standardized, unless accommodations are made for health reasons. This guy is, as remote as it sounds, a liability to other soldiers. If I'm in a battle and need artillery support, I don't want a delay because the radio guy who is wearing a turban rather than a helmet got killed when a stray piece of shrapnel got lodged in his head. And we are going to go down that route and allow it, then there should be restrictions on where such persons can serve.

...psst, soldiers don't always wear helmets. Soft caps in garrison is the norm. Lots of guys, including me, wore some sort of cloth item under the helmet because the GI suspension system sucks butt and caused headaches if you didn't. I used one of these:

5092-2.jpg

The accommodation for Singh, a West Point graduate and Army Ranger, was granted only after he sued to prevent the service from requiring him to undergo extensive testing to ensure that his beard and hair did not interfere with his helmet or gas mask.

Top Bottom