• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingpin1779

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    near covington
    thinking a would like to have a 10-22 with a quiet tube, how do you go about it. should i buy the gun and then the silencer or a complete unit. do i buy before i get my tax stamp or what ?:ar15: just had a thought can i buy just the barrel with just the quiet tube attached as i already have two rifles .

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I would buy the rifle, then the suppressor. That way you can shoot while you wait!

Are you planning on buying a permanently attached suppressor, or a removable one? And yes, you can just buy the suppressor, and thread a current barrel, or if it is an attached unit, swap them.

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    With 10/22's and many other guns there are different styles of suppressors. The most common thing people do on these guns is get a threaded barrel and then buy a screw on suppressor. This will work on any 22 gun with the correct threads. It would be the most versatile setup for 22.

The second option would be to buy a 10/22 and then get an integral barrel suppressor. This basically looks like a 16" bull barrel but the supressor is built into the barrel. The downfall to this is that it is a one host type of supressor and are usually more expensive.

Check out RIMFIRE SUPPRESSORS Thompson Machine They make some quality units and Corey over at SSNFA is a dealer for them.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have heard many muzzle cans on rimfire bolt guns that are just as quiet as their integrally suppressed cousins. When you move up to larger calibers like .44 and .45, integrally suppressed is usually quieter because you can take advantage of the length and have more baffles than you usually find in a muzzle can.

TREETOP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Carmel/Westfield
    Generally integrally suppressed barrels are internally ported in the first section to reduce velocity, as well as having the baffle stack in the second section. This keeps a round subsonic which reduces secondary noise (when considering the powder blast to be the first noise, sonic crack is a secondary noise and the firearm's action is a tertiary noise).
    A screw-on can on a 16" barrel will work well also, but a standard or HV .22lr round will normally be supersonic when leaving a 16" barrel's muzzle. This is why an integral can will generally be "quieter".

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Generally integrally suppressed barrels are internally ported in the first section to reduce velocity, as well as having the baffle stack in the second section. This keeps a round subsonic which reduces secondary noise (when considering the powder blast to be the first noise, sonic crack is a secondary noise and the firearm's action is a tertiary noise).
    A screw-on can on a 16" barrel will work well also, but a standard or HV .22lr round will normally be supersonic when leaving a 16" barrel's muzzle. This is why an integral can will generally be "quieter".

Or you could solve that problem by purchasing sub sonic .22 ammo... ??? :D My personal opinion, if all you can hear is a click and poof firing closed action, it's better to have a suppressor to take off and put on anything else you have. I don't care if it's even a tiny bit louder in a semi-auto :dunno:

Last edited:

TREETOP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Carmel/Westfield
    Or you could solve that problem by purchasing super sonic .22 ammo... ??? :D My personal opinion, if all you can hear is a click and poof firing closed action, it's better to have a suppressor to take off and put on anything else you have. I don't care if it's even a tiny bit louder in a semi-auto :dunno:

I'm guessing you meant subsonic. ;)
    I agree as far as practicality goes that a removable suppressor would be more ideal- you can put it on any number of different firearms as long as their barrel is threaded the same (normally the standard 1/2-28) or if a thread adapter is used.
    If ultimate quiet with any ammo is preferred, or if someone wants a shorter length rifle barrel overall without wanting an additional stamp, an integral can can be preferable.

Either way is plenty of fun. :)

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    Two things you can't do with an integral suppressed 10/22, hunt with it in IN and obviously move from host to host with same silencer. Always buy the silencer first, in my book because of the wait. :)

Top Bottom