• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I was able to pick up and fire my new .45 Osprey on January 10th. I'm shooting this on my FNP45 Tactical with the Trijicon RMR04 sight. I fired 250 rounds on my first trip to the range and was surprised how quiet the Osprey is, even dry. I pulled my hearing protection long enough to fire one round and it was not at all loud. It sounded quieter than a .22. I'll still wear the muffs when I shoot but could probably fire without them.

As I fired for the first time I noticed carbon, soot or dirt building up on the front of the lens on the Trijicon sight. I had to stop firing after 50 rounds to clean the lens. I have a mini LensPen that works great for this. Watching some videos of the FNP firing with an Osprey attached you can see the gasses escaping from the slide as it starts to open and they blow back right on the sight. Since this is my first suppressor, I didn't realize how much gunk and carbon would be blown back into the weapon. I had carbon built up halfway down on the outsides of the magazines when I removed them. The bottom of the slide and the mag well were coated as well. A good blasting with RemClean took care of this when I cleaned the weapon.

After 375 rounds I decided to clean the Osprey. There was enough carbon built up that it was difficult to remove the piston / Nielsen device. I should have soaked it before disassembly. I managed to tear the o-ring on the piston, but a quick trip to Do-It-Best yielded 5 new o-rings for $1.55. I also bought a small tube of white grease to re-lube the piston and o-ring per the instructions supplied with the Osprey. On the next trip to the range I fired 175 rounds and then cleaned the piston again. No problems with dis-assembly this time around. I'm guessing I need to clean the piston every 150 - 200 rounds, or just keep shooting and the soak the can before I tear it down. The manual and instructions that came with the Osprey were complete and detailed. They provided the info I need to replace the Viton size 18 o-ring.

Firing the FNP with the Osprey is a blast. The weapon seems to balance out better with the Osprey attached and it feels like there is a significant reduction in recoil and muzzle flip. A retired DNR officer and a couple LEOs have fired it as well and all were impressed with the package.

I enjoy cleaning my weapons and accessories, so I'm not at all bothered by a little carbon and gunk. The Osprey is well worth the $$$ and the wait for the stamp. There is also the 'Wow factor' at the range when you screw the suppressor on and start cranking off rounds.

TacWithCan.jpg

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What ammo and grain were you shooting?

230 gr Sellier & Bellot FMJ. I bought 1,000 rounds on sale and have happy with this ammo in .45 ACP. I tried a couple boxes of .357 and had multiple failure to fire issues. All the primer hits were light, as if the primers were seated too deep. I tried this in 3 different .357s with the same results.

I did have 2 rounds out of 500 in the .45 that didn't feed, but both times I was resting my arms on the bench and probably 'limp wristed' while concentrating on the sight picture.

Last edited:

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    230 gr Sellier & Bellot FMJ. I bought 1,000 rounds on sale and have happy with this ammo in .45 ACP. I tried a couple boxes of .357 and had multiple failure to fire issues. All the primer hits were light, as if the primers were seated too deep. I tried this in 3 different .357s with the same results.

I did have 2 rounds out of 500 in the .45 that didn't feed, but both times I was resting my arms on the bench and probably 'limp wristed' while concentrating on the sight picture.

Fixed..

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Awesome pix. VUPD was gracious enough to share his Osprey at NFA day, (Thank you again) and I was blown away that it could quiet down a .45 as much as it did. It's definitely on the list. Just not sure if .45 or .40.... decisions, decisions....

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    If you're having trouble deciding calibers, I'll just throw out there that you can buy a .40 piston for the .45 Osprey and shoot both calibers. I've shot a .45 Osprey with a 9mm piston and it was amazingly quiet. Quieting the .40 through the .45 should be equally amazing. Just sayin' ;)

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    If you're having trouble deciding calibers, I'll just throw out there that you can buy a .40 piston for the .45 Osprey and shoot both calibers. I've shot a .45 Osprey with a 9mm piston and it was amazingly quiet. Quieting the .40 through the .45 should be equally amazing. Just sayin' ;)

From what I was told by the guys at Silencer Co. the 45Osprey is on average 3-5db louder on a 9mm than the 9Osprey...

Chew on that...

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    That's a beautiful combo....I have been dreaming of that same setup since seeing it on gunbroker a while back. Congratulations!!

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    Nice set up, looks awesome! We have been very pleased with our demo 45Osprey. If you fill a nasal spray bottle with water, two lite mists will quiet that FRP way down, especially shooting 9mm through the 45.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    That is one beautiful rig!! :rockwoot: Man, I want one of those so freaking bad. How does it work with silencers? I know there is a $200 fee here in IN but is that a one time deal or per can deal?

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    That is one beautiful rig!! :rockwoot: Man, I want one of those so freaking bad. How does it work with silencers? I know there is a $200 fee here in IN but is that a one time deal or per can deal?

It is a $200 ONE TIME per can federal tax.

You would go to a "Class 3" dealer and they would help you with purchasing the can and filling out the paperwork. You send it in to the ATF with your $200 check and wait about 3-4 months. When the paperwork comes back to the dealer, you can go pick up your can.

Read the Stickies at the top of the page that talk about the procedure for buying NFA items.

SixSigmaLarry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   1
    Jan 3, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Once again, I'm impressed...

I was impressed with your review of the Osprey. I have been searching other forums and YouTube to see how much people like it.

As I understand it, once you have the stap for the can, you can buy different cylinders for the 45 can and it should not only work, but it will be legal. Is that right?

Lastly, anyone know of someone in NE IN or close to Warsaw who might have one in stock?

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Yes, you can order different thread pitch pistons from Silencerco and use the can on different caliber hosts. For example, you could order a 1/2x28 piston and use the Osprey .45 on a 9mm host.

Top Bottom