• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    It is a pretty dirty ammo from my experience. For Makarovs, it is one of the few still out there, so I have to buy it for plinking. I prefer B&S for that, but when you cannot get it, this does go "bang".

ArmedRPh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    I've put a few hundred rounds of it through my AK-74 and haven't had any problems. Dirty yes, but it isn't corrosive like the 7N6 stuff and still pretty cheap.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Probably my Sig226 for now. I was looking at bulk purchases target practice.

I've shot Brown Bear out of my 226. Works fine, the Silver is just zinc plated steel. It's all about the same. I have used it in my P226, my WASR GP 10/63, my PTR-91, and my Israeli Mauser K98k. It works fine. Great for the price, especially if you don't plan to reload.

awilson82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Ive shot some of the .308 it is dirty but runs good. The zinc plated case works better through my CETME than the polymer on brown bear.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Silver bear...brown bear...

Have at it.

See if you can buy a few boxes first before stocking up on a whole case.

It could be that your particular firearm may not like it. I've had some steel-cased 9mm (pretty sure it was Brown Bear) that some higher-end pistols of mine didn't like feeding / extracting.

As far as it being "dirtier" - basically a misnomer. It really isn't any dirtier than any other ammo - the issue is with the steel casing no swelling up to fill as much of the chamber as brass does. This will allow some "blow back" into the chamber - making it much dirtier than having used brass.

-J-

doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    As far as it being "dirtier" - basically a misnomer. It really isn't any dirtier than any other ammo - the issue is with the steel casing no swelling up to fill as much of the chamber as brass does. This will allow some "blow back" into the chamber - making it much dirtier than having used brass.

-J-

Nope, dirtier is correct. If the gun has more "blow back" into the chamber, it is dirtier. Not a misnomer at all, rather absolutely accurate.

Sorry to be the grammar police, or in this case the "meaning" police, but dirtier means any reason I have to clean a gun more often. The reason is secondary to the effect. You confirm the reason (which many already know), and in doing so, call it "dirtier" yourself.

It is dirtier than other steel as well, and I do not like using Silver or Brown Bear for just this reason.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    just ordered a case... shipped to my door for 18c a round so hopefully my gun likes it ! i got the brwn bear

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    i had some in 9mm and it was CRAP!!! I recovered several bullets that didnt have any rifle marks on them at all and some that were fine. just not consistant.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I used the crap out of silver bear. When I used to have an AR in 223/556 thats pretty much all I ran and it ran great. I run it now occasionally in my 5.45AK and again, runs great. In fact the POA shift between 5.45 surplus and 5.45 silver bear is negligible IMO.

Top Bottom