• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    So since they are a non native invasive species can we just take out a john boat and a 12 gauge and do some target practice?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3Bf0WhvsNk&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3Bf0WhvsNk&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Alas shot gunning them is illegal. Carp is supposed to be good eating if you put the time in to really clean them up right. Not sure I have the time but I am up for the harvesting... We could always use a spear gun.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I would just like to be in the front of a heavy, wide flat-bottomed jon-boat with a metal softball bat with a boat driver who knew what he was doing. Batting practice might be really fun. At least someone would be doing something to keep them from getting into the Great Lakes---moreso than what our elected officials and the USFWS are doing. If they get into Lake Michigan, which is a real possibility, you can kiss the salmon good-bye in a few years. The same goes with Lake Erie and its sprot fisheries. Someone needs to organize a homerun derby day for silver and bighead carp.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Alas shot gunning them is illegal. Carp is supposed to be good eating if you put the time in to really clean them up right. Not sure I have the time but I am up for the harvesting... We could always use a spear gun.
    How to cook a carp.

Large sheet of aluminum foil. Place an oak plank on it and the carp on top of the board season to you liking. Wrap foil around both.

Heat oven to 350, cook for an hour and half.

Unwrap, throw carp away and eat the board.:D

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Nothing wrong with eating carp.

The aversion that many Americans have to them is based entirely on ignorance of the fishes feeding habits. They do not eat poop, nor do they eat waste, or trash. many carp feed on plant matter, but the 'Asian' carp specifically are filter feeders, who take much of their nutrients strait out of the water.

Even fish like redhorse and yellow fin suckers don't 'eat poop or trash' - The eat plant matter, diatoms (a type of plankton), and bugs.

The entire concept of a 'trash fish' is a misnomer in the sense that we use it.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Nothing wrong with eating carp.

The aversion that many Americans have to them is based entirely on ignorance of the fishes feeding habits. They do not eat poop, nor do they eat waste, or trash. many carp feed on plant matter, but the 'Asian' carp specifically are filter feeders, who take much of their nutrients strait out of the water.

Even fish like redhorse and yellow fin suckers don't 'eat poop or trash' - The eat plant matter, diatoms (a type of plankton), and bugs.

The entire concept of a 'trash fish' is a misnomer in the sense that we use it.

I was always told it was a trash fish because of the extreme caution and amount of time it took to remove the mud vane from the fish. Tt was pretty much trash as far as the work put in versus the yield

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    The "River Monsters" guy was cruising around in an asian-carp-catching-boat and got smacked in the face with one.

The boat basically had a big net in front of it and the fish just jumped into it.

I'm sure someone could make fish sticks out of them.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Yeah, I just can't imagine that there's no market for asian carp.

I can't either, as prolific as they are in some places I think it would be worth the time to harvest them for commercial applications such as pet food etc.

What the legal red tape involved for doing so may be another matter?
    Modern government plus red tape and expense may make that prohibitive for private industry to fix the problem for the sake of capital gain.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    IC 14-22-6-10
    Shooting into or across waters of the state
    Sec. 10. A person may not shoot into or across:
    (1) the waters of the state; or
    (2) the boundary waters of the state;
    except in the lawful pursuit of wild animals.
    ETA: This makes it legal, stand by while I find contradictory evidence

ETA:and this makes it illegal
    IC 14-22-9-1
    Unlawful means of taking fish
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as allowed by section 3 of this chapter, a person may not take fish from waters containing state owned fish, waters of the state, or boundary waters of the state by the following:
    (1) Means of:
    (A) a weir;
    (B) an electric current;
    (C) dynamite or other explosive;
    (D) a net;
    (E) a seine;
    (F) a trap; or
    (G) any other substance that has a tendency to stupefy or poison fish.
    (2) Means of the following:
    (A) A firearm.
    (B) A crossbow.
    (C) The hands alone.
    (b) The methods or devices in this section may be possessed and used:
    (1) under special permit issued by the director under rules that the director provides; or
    (2) as otherwise provided by law.
    As added by P.L.1-1995, SEC.15.

Last edited:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Noodling is illegal in IN?? WTF??

How bad was it that they had to make a law against snatching fish out of the water with your bare hands?

Dumb.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Yeah, I just can't imagine that there's no market for asian carp.

I can't either, as prolific as they are in some places I think it would be worth the time to harvest them for commercial applications such as pet food etc. What the legal red tape involved for doing so may be another matter? Modern government plus red tape and expense may make that prohibitive for private industry to fix the problem for the sake of capital gain.

There is a processing/canning factory opening in Illinois for asian carp. Ironically the bulk will be exported to Asia.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I think that the big worry about the Asian carp is the efficiency that they feed with their gill filters and the fact that they will knock a link or two out of the food chain that will cause those above the carp to starve and the species slowly die out. If you have ever looked a bighead carp eye to eye, you will see that they are really one very ugly fish. We can only guess what the impact of this fish with no natural enemies and the ability to survive almost anywhere will have on the aquatic ecosystems that they invade. Add to that the fact that our elected officials are arguing over what to do about them, generally not on the basis of good science, but on political boundaries. I have not heard peep one our of the carp czar appointed by Obummer from the IDNR. While they study on it, large schools of them are probably slipping into Lake Michigan.

Top Bottom