• ...and so much more!
  • toddk

Plinker
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Lake / Porter Co
    What do you mean by that statement?

It sounds like your saying, "I have not planned ahead, I have no supplies. So I plan on killing and taking what I need."

Is this your plan??

Unfortunately it doesn't matter how he answers that question.

Even if we misunderstood his meaning, (I say WE because I take what he said the same way you did.) there are many out there with that idea.
    They have their uber-tactical <insert rifle of the day here> and some ammo. They plan on raiding, pillaging, and stealing whatever they can. They will continue this way until they run up against someone that is better prepared, or luckier than they are.
    Hopefully it happens quickly, (meeting their maker) but unfortunately they will probably take advantage of a few before they meet their maker.

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Unfortunately it doesn't matter how he answers that question.

Even if we misunderstood his meaning, (I say WE because I take what he said the same way you did.) there are many out there with that idea.
    They have their uber-tactical <insert rifle of the day here> and some ammo. They plan on raiding, pillaging, and stealing whatever they can. They will continue this way until they run up against someone that is better prepared, or luckier than they are.
    Hopefully it happens quickly, (meeting their maker) but unfortunately they will probably take advantage of a few before they meet their maker.

The fact that he never answered the question says alot...

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Getting stuff stocked up, myself. Food, water and ammo. May even buy some amount of ammo for guns I don't have. For bartering purposes.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    IMO, gold and silver are only valuable for maintaining or to diversify wealth. If the economy were to collapse completely then your bar of silver is only valuable to a person who has a real need for it. Also, I would gladly trade you a goods item for a bag or rice or corn meal but I can't do a lot with silver when food runs dry. Everyone that is buying silver for SHTF is depending on some form of "store" or a trade company being established with a new economy created. I would rather put my faith in trading with other common people for needed goods and also not worrying about a few armed gang members taking my silver stash and me not having food to eat since I bought silver instead of food to store.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    if your not stocked up on food and hygene items and water, etc, then you shouldnt be buying silver first. EVERYTHING will be easier ti find and buy now rather than after the disaster. just because you have silver doesnt necessarily mean jack, if bread is 100 ounces of silver per slice.

barter items are more valuable than silver and gold in my opinion. but that doesnt mean i wont have silver and gold.

you wanna know 2 things that will be the most valuable after a long term disaster, even more than food and water? ALCOHOL & Cigarettes. you stock up on those and have it when TEOTWAWKI hits and you will be wanting for nothing.

sure it can be made and grown, but how long will it take to get a steady stock of it? demand will be higher than supply for a while
    Right on, gotta have my smokes, otherwise people will be shot senselessly

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Yes you bought 100oz for $26 and once and its now worth $3432 an once, but now a can of coke cost $9.00. If silver directly reflected the worth of a dollar is it even worth stocking up on if the dollar fails? Wouldn't a foreign currency be a better choice?

Your logic is flawed. If the oz of silver you bought for $30 is now worth $3,000. The $30 in your bank account is still only worth $30 but now a can of Coke costs $9. Wouldn't you be happy you bought some silver?

I agree that in a complete collapse of society, PMs may not hold any value because people just want to survive.

However if we are just suffering from hyperinflation, people will be looking for something to replace the dollar with. Eventually hyperinflation corrects itself... because eventually the currency is thrown out and replaced. This has happened many times in history.

These two issues are not the same.

DMarines007

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Silver and gold are great to buy while the economy is doing well. When the economy sucks, everyone wants gold/silver which cause an increase in the perceived value...supply/demand theory.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Anyone want to buy some Euro's I have some I'll sell you. Somewhere around 300 dollars worth. I'll take gold or silver in trade too.

What rate do you need on your Euros? Green money US on my end. All my gold and is paper.

Hmmm... Oh how I hate Trolls... Now how do I set someone to "Ignore"...

A guy could do well going barbless in these waters.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Just remember that gold hit $1000/oz on the Hong Kong market in the late 60's. If one bought gold then it would have been a very bad investment. Guns and ammo on the other hand.........?

Gold has never reach the $1000 per ounce price until last year (2010).
    Here is a link that shows the historic gold prices from 1833 to present.

http://www.nma.org/pdf/gold/his_gold_prices.pdf

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    What rate do you need on your Euros? Green money US on my end. All my gold and is paper.

A guy could do well going barbless in these waters.

I'll take 370 for them. Let me know. If the index changes so will I,on the price. Plan on taking them to the Numerical Exchange in Louisville,next time I go. I have alot that I dont remember where it even came from. Coins and paper from around the world.
    If your really interested let me know,if not,its off to Louisville.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Since the dollar is no longer on the gold standard, it is backed by nothing more than its intrinsic value, i.e. basically what people thinks it is worth to them. It's backed by the full faith and credit of the United States, or simply put, that it's and interesting way of saying that the money is backed by the government's ability to levy taxes.

Precious metals are really, also only worth their intrinsic value. In the future, other commodities, skill sets, etc. may be worth more than a piece of silver or gold.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    invest in nickels. yes, the 5 cent kind.
    the metal in the nickel coin is worth more than its face value. If you bought $10,000 worth of nickels then the metal value of the coins would be over $12,000. of coarse congress passed a law against melting them down and selling them for scrap, but if SHTF who's gonna give a **** about that law? just saying. you will never lose money if you invest in nickels because face value will always be 5 cents as long as the U.S. exist. and the metal will keep going up I believe.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    invest in nickels. yes, the 5 cent kind.
    the metal in the nickel coin is worth more than its face value. If you bought $10,000 worth of nickels then the metal value of the coins would be over $12,000. of coarse congress passed a law against melting them down and selling them for scrap, but if SHTF who's gonna give a **** about that law? just saying. you will never lose money if you invest in nickels because face value will always be 5 cents as long as the U.S. exist. and the metal will keep going up I believe.

The same can be said for pennies. Scrap copper is some of the most valuable junk on the planet. The age of electronics cannot exist without copper.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention all those New Agers out there with their magic copper bracelets to provide them with earthly power and energy :rockwoot:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom