• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I watch for the socks to go on sale. I have gotten some good ones from Menards (make sure they are actually wool and not just grey). I have gotten a few pairs over the years. I keep some in my vehicles and stuff. I keep a couple of pairs in my bug out bags and all of that. They are good gear for sure.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Good on you for mentoring these kids. The reward will be in the later years watching them use the knowledge you taught them to teach others.

While it seems kids are stupid (some are) generally they just lack experience. They can be a sponge for knowledge with a skilled teacher. And sometimes you find the really smart kid they can use a little knowledge and then think for themselves and solve problems. Expose your kids to lots of different people with varied knowledge and teaching skills.

Being in the right kind of shape helps. I bicycle 3,000+ miles a year but a two day 14 mile backpacking hike kicked my butt. Certainly makes you rethink those bug out strategies. That said, kids are amazingly resilient with incredible recovery skills.

Minimal gear is fine if it is the right gear and you have appropriate knowledge. The best knowledge comes from experience and it is amazing how much experience you can gain from back yard camping with the safety net of a house. Growing up I would camp out in a pup tent in the back yard once a week.

Wool is is a magic fabric, particularly in socks and hats. For the other poster looking for cheap socks, don't skimp on your feet.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Good job teaching youth! I can't blame a kid for not knowing anything when nobody has shown them.

For socks, look no further than Darn Tough. Those started as hiking socks for me, now they're everyday because why not.

I wish more people talked about their outdoor adventures rather than what new little gizmo they have in a bag.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Good job teaching youth! I can't blame a kid for not knowing anything when nobody has shown them.

For socks, look no further than Darn Tough. Those started as hiking socks for me, now they're everyday because why not.

I wish more people talked about their outdoor adventures rather than what new little gizmo they have in a bag.

It's like reviews of a gun class when the reviewer writes about his gun and gear for 90% and everyone else's guns and gear for 10%, leaving no percent to talk about what they did or didn't actually do.

Top Bottom