• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • asevans

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    some kind of gun oil and a white cotton cleaning patch or old cotton tee shirt cut into small pieces. a light oiling on the stock doesnt hurt anything. i try not to get oil on the stock. take old English and wipe your wood stock down if you want. it will pretty it up.

Jerry C

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Ballistol is what you're looking for. It's made for metal, wood, leather or just about anything else. I have a couple Henrys and I use ballistol from muzzle to butt plate. It is also a good cleaner and lube. Google it.

lubemupski

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2012
    Fishers
    I keep a microfiber hand towel in my case and wipe the gun down at the range, esp. if i get rained/snowed on. Silicone cloth on the metals, buff the wood with a clean cotton cloth then in to the safe for me. I know some guys even make their own silicone rags, just cut a square of flannel, get a can of pure silicone spray from the auto parts store, spray and keep in a ziplock. This is all done in addition to regular cleanings, of course.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Besides Ballistol, I also recommend SUPER QCG. Like Ballistol is will not harm wood, plastics, etc, plus it is better in repelling fingerprints. I use the QCG on my optics and eye glasses as well.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I went ahead and got the silicone cloths. No idea how to know if they are working as they really don't leave any visible film behind. Guess I'll have to just trust the manufacturer. I'm thinking of looking into some waxes as these are purely display firearms.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I'd lightly spray a diaper soft polishing cloth with WD-40 and wipe it down. WD-40 is surprising gentle on wood finish (if any would even happen to get on it). I've used it to scrub road tar off fenders with absolutely no ill effect on clear coat, as long as the cloth was soft enough. I've had it all over modern and old stock finishes with no ill effects. Surprisingly, in the firearms community, I never hear or see anyone ever talk about the good 'ole stuff...I couldn't imagine life without it.

WD-40 is NOT the best choice - although I've used it before and never seen any ill effects from it. As a chemical, its main function is as a water displacer (WD)... that means that cleaning, lubing, and protecting are NOT what it was made for. Not to mention that if someone uses a bit too much how it could gunk up with unburnt powders, residue, etc.
    I would MUCH rather use RemOil, Hoppe's general oil, Ballistol, etc.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    You know, I was getting ready to point out how many old guns have cracked stocks and the wood is oil soaked...and then I realized I really have no idea if the oil soaking contributed to the crack. Would those stocks have cracked regardless? Does oil really weaken the wood?

Dang it, now you've got me thinking about my preconceived notions. You know how I hate that.

That might be due to bore solvents. Oils/solvents do get into the wood, and it can lift the finish. Not all stocks are sealed like they should :(
    I got a used 1100 that was flaking badly, the wood discolored, from heavy oil/solvent intrusion.

I use Remoil, and have for years. Also seal my wood stocks. No problems.
    But from a guy I know that had $30K shotguns...........his choice was Birchwood casey "Sheath". It went on thin and sheeted. Also kept fingerprints off.
    The smell killed me.

The formula has since been changed is called "Barricade". I know not of the current material's properties.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I went ahead and got the silicone cloths. No idea how to know if they are working as they really don't leave any visible film behind. Guess I'll have to just trust the manufacturer. I'm thinking of looking into some waxes as these are purely display firearms.

Google "Renaissance Wax". You're welcome.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    I'd lightly spray a diaper soft polishing cloth with WD-40 and wipe it down. WD-40 is surprising gentle on wood finish (if any would even happen to get on it). I've used it to scrub road tar off fenders with absolutely no ill effect on clear coat, as long as the cloth was soft enough. I've had it all over modern and old stock finishes with no ill effects. Surprisingly, in the firearms community, I never hear or see anyone ever talk about the good 'ole stuff...I couldn't imagine life without it.

:nono::nono::nono: It is good stuff for what is intended for, but would not use it on firearms.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    I have an old scope lens cloth I spray with RemOil and keep in a ziplock bag I wipe all my guns down with after fondling them. I don't have any rust or marks on any of them. I even use it after I've had my nice guns get wet in snow and rain.
    I don't know if it's the safest, fanciest, or latest technological fad, but I've been doing it since Remoil came out and I haven't found any good reason to change. Just my nickel's worth.

I've done the exact same thing since it came out. And no problems.

I think a lot of the older guns have oil soaked stocks because the bores and actions were oiled rather generously and they were stood up in the corner. And if enough oil runs down it will have a negative effect. I stand my stuff on the muzzle on a rag overnight so any excess will not run down to the stock.

And ++++1 on the Renaissance Wax. I've used it for years on lots of stuff.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen

that's the great thing about silicone cloths. I've used them for many, many years and will use them for many more. I keep them in my gun safe and every gun gets a quick wipe before I put them away. I store my Henry golden boy in a silicone impregnated gun sock, have for years, and it looks as good as the day I brought it home.

Top Bottom