• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jason

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Delaware Co.
    Does anyone have any experience with either or both of these pistols? I'm in the market for a small, single stack 9mm. If you happen to have one and are interested, I'd like to try it out before I buy one.

G582

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Greenwood
    I had a pm 40 and still have a pps. The pm40 conceals a little better but I like shooting the pps a lot better. The pps is also a lot more accurate for me. You also should think about whether you like Dao or striker fired better

cwagner1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Consider the m&p shield as well. It's similar to the pps.

Out of those two, I'd take the pps. It's a nice shooting gun.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Had a PM9, 1st off not a fan of the trigger, Smooth but long and my finger kept working its way down and getting between the guard and trigger. 2nd, for a fairly expensive gun the fit of the mag in the mag well is outright crude, it is like it was an afterthought. 3rd, the battery of arms is a little different as you have to always release the slide lock, not rack the slide into battery. 4th, for me being left handed the slide lock is huge and boxy, it really creates problems with IWB holsters.
    I now have a Shield and feel it is superior in all but one thing, the PM9 is smaller in size, I could actually pocket carry the PM9, the Shield is a little big for that.
    My brother has a PPS and it is a nice pistol, I would have no problem carrying it, I like the shield better but probably because I have more trigger time with it. Incidentally, I carry my shield in a don Hume JIT holster for a Walther PPS, fits perfectly.

jtmason15

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 23, 2012
    Grant County
    I have personally shot the PPS. I was not impressed at all with the accuracy of the gun. It concealed nice but it could not hit the broad side of a barn. I would suggest a Sig P938. Great gun, easy to conceal and shoots like a champ. Plus if you shop around you can get one for close to the same price as a PPS. Reliability wise I do not know how reliable each gun is but they both have good makers so I would think they would both be good guns.

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    I've owned both the PM9 and the PPS. I also have a Kahr CM9. I prefer the PPS. It has a Glock-like trigger versus Kahr's long, but smooth trigger. The long trigger on the PM9 caused me to pinch my finger between trigger and trigger guard. The Kahr is smaller and easier to conceal, however, the PPS is easier to shoot and not much harder to conceal. The magazine release on the PPS is different than most other guns, though, and it takes some getting used to.

If you decide to get the Kahr, go with the CM9, it's less expensive. In my opinion the PM9 is not worth the premium.

jason

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Delaware Co.
    3rd, the battery of arms is a little different as you have to always release the slide lock, not rack the slide into battery.

I don't like the sounds of that.

The Shield and the P9 don't look much smaller than a glock 19.

Due to my awesome forum handle, I must profess the goodness of used Sig P6's, Sig P225's and P239's.

Those are all fullsize guns, but I hadn't though about Sig having those little 9mm's.

Reliability wise I do not know how reliable each gun is but they both have good makers so I would think they would both be good guns.

That's a big thing for me. My friend broke a Keltec PF9 on the second or third outing with it. That, coupled with the atrocious trigger on the p380 completely discourages me from buying that brand.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    I had a pm 40 and still have a pps. The pm40 conceals a little better but I like shooting the pps a lot better. The pps is also a lot more accurate for me. You also should think about whether you like Dao or striker fired better

I havethe exact same experience, although I don't know what your PPS is chambered in. Mine is a 9mm, so it obviously handles better than the little Kahr in .40. I find the quality of the PPS to be far superior as well. The only thing I'm not wild about is the "quicksafe" backstraps.

G582

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Greenwood
    My pps is also 9mm and while the 40 is a lot snappier it really is the grip differences that mattered most to me. I'm over the whole micro gun thing. I also agree about the backstrap disconnect. Just one more thing you really don't need to fail.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    My brother has a PPS and it is a nice pistol, I would have no problem carrying it, I like the shield better but probably because I have more trigger time with it. Incidentally, I carry my shield in a don Hume JIT holster for a Walther PPS, fits perfectly.
    And I shot my brother's Shield and it too shot good.
    But I have seen a few more PPS than I have Shields.
    But finding mags for the PPS is difficult.
    Of course, finding a Shield is also difficult.
    At least I know where there is another holster in the family.
    Should have let you try my Galco, but then again you are LH.

dondavis3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    DFW area
    S&W M&P Shield is a great gun

SampWMampPShield-1.jpg

You should also look at the M&P 9c

SWMP9C.jpg

Slightly large (not much) and carries 12+1

:cool: