• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I solve the siphon problem in anything I have to work on the tank/filler neck...
    A stainless washer with stainless screen wire attached to it at the tank neck, just slide the hose over the washer/neck when putting it back together.

My off road vehicles have both manual & electric pumps (redundancy), I simply put a 'Chuck' connector in the electric pump line, and hide a 'Hot Wire' switch to the electric pump.
    I can transfer fuel from one vehicle to another with a hose, or drain the tank without the engine running.
    (It's a farm/work vehicle thing)

Redundancy is a wonderful thing,
    At least two water pump belts,
    Dual batteries,
    Dual ignition systems,
    A mechanical & electric radiator fan,
    A mechanical & electric fuel pump,
    Drill the clutch/friction disk/flywheel for solid bolts,
    Fuel lines ported for 'Boat Tank' fuel rated disconnects,

Dual batteries provide power for ignition when a single battery or alternator fail,
    (And that second battery makes winches MUCH more useful, easily used for camp/work chores, 2 batteries means you can WELD!)
    Fuel from tank to another vehicle, redundant fuel pumps keep failure possibility to zero,
    Cooling fans are redundant,
    Fuel, spark & cooling is all you need on basic engines...

Smoke the clutch? Crawl under and bolt the clutch/flywheel to the friction disk hub.
    You have to shut down to stop, start 'In Gear' and Speed shift, but you aren't walking...

Gear to gear transfer case, no broken chain,
    Virtually all gear drive transfer cases can be 'Twin Sticked', so the front or rear can power even if the other end is blown wide open or drive shaft missing.

I brake for beer, but I stop/walk for nothing!

Last edited:

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I've never thought about removing gas from a vehicle, but now I'm embarrassed that I have not. Nearly every post-apocalyptic scenario (zombie involved or otherwise) requires taking fuel from abandoned vehicles. I suppose I am vehicle-centric. I don't have generator and if I don't have gas for a tool, it's an excuse to not do the work that day. Heh.

Like almost everything else, this is something for which we all need to consider, ponder, and plan before the need arises.

On a related note, like many among us, I dislike wrestling with modern gas cans when trying to actually use them to dispense fuel. I considered getting some aftermarket spout/vent kits, but instead I went with a cheap pump powered by two AA batteries that also has an alarm/shutoff when the receiving tank is full. It works really well, is easy to use, and cost less than a few spout/vent kits.

This takes away the retarded push down neck to make fuel flow.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/north...ojectile-in-second-firing-in-less-than-a-week

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    My 2017 truck has a little device in the glove box that the dealer said I need to use if I try to siphon gas or add with a can. It looks like a funnel of sorts. He said that they put things in the neck of the tank to keep people from stealing gas easily. All you need is that device I guess.

Also seemed odd that I do not have a gas cap. Old truck would give me check engine light if I ran it while filling up.

My Explorer is the same way. You can use a Shaker Siphon instead to add fuel to your truck. I do it rotating out the fuel I keep on hand for my generators. On the fuel inlet there are two pins, one at 9 and the other at 3. Both pins must be pressed at the same time to open the valve. The Shaker Siphon is the right size for doing this, just make sure you push about 3 inches of the hose into the inlet. Trying to use than damn funnel is a pain in the ass. Fueling your truck with that funnel is slow and you're probably going to spill some fuel also.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've never thought about removing gas from a vehicle, but now I'm embarrassed that I have not. Nearly every post-apocalyptic scenario (zombie involved or otherwise) requires taking fuel from abandoned vehicles. I suppose I am vehicle-centric. I don't have generator and if I don't have gas for a tool, it's an excuse to not do the work that day. Heh.

Like almost everything else, this is something for which we all need to consider, ponder, and plan before the need arises.

On a related note, like many among us, I dislike wrestling with modern gas cans when trying to actually use them to dispense fuel. I considered getting some aftermarket spout/vent kits, but instead I went with a cheap pump powered by two AA batteries that also has an alarm/shutoff when the receiving tank is full. It works really well, is easy to use, and cost less than a few spout/vent kits.

In the case of a full on zombie apocalypse a screw driver to punch the tank and a can or bucket will do... assuming that it is like you see in the movies and there are cars all over the place, etc. Of course, that gets a little expensive if you just need some gas from the Honda in the driveway to mow the grass...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    In the case of a full on zombie apocalypse a screw driver to punch the tank and a can or bucket will do... assuming that it is like you see in the movies and there are cars all over the place, etc. Of course, that gets a little expensive if you just need some gas from the Honda in the driveway to mow the grass...

Sure would look cool, though

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Yeah "BUTT" those cars are setting because they are out of gas.....:):

We try and keep the tanks topped off in both trucks. In an extended infrastructure failure we may need to take fuel to keep the gennys rolling depending.
    I have ways of lifting fuel a fair distance. So if the SHTFRH we could get by.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy

I'm thinking that firing two short-range missiles at your vehicle might be a bit of overkill... (I don't think you posted the link you thought you were. :):)

FIFY...

https://ezpourspout.com/product/replacement-spout-vent-kit/

I own a few of these. They have saved me from the "spill proof" sloppy spill prone cans.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    This comment always amaze me. Most garages have two cars that can hold anywhere to 30 to 60 gallons of gas at one time but then balk at a person that stores gas in there garage.

My garage has an old furnace with a standing pilot, so I try not to store gas in there, although I do keep a 55-gallon drum of kerosene in there.

https://ezpourspout.com/product/replacement-spout-vent-kit/

I own a few of these. They have saved me from the "spill proof" sloppy spill prone cans.

I have two of these also and I like them.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Disappointing, but it seems as though you folks have answered the question for me. There is not a simple way to do this...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Disappointing, but it seems as though you folks have answered the question for me. There is not a simple way to do this...

Well, there is if you have a vehicle old enough to have an unobstructed path to from the filling port to the tank!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Well, there is if you have a vehicle old enough to have an unobstructed path to from the filling port to the tank!

I don't know what that time-frame is, but I'm guessing most of those vehicles aren't realistic daily drivers now days?

Top Bottom