• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Read that 2 in 5 restaurants will never reopen... Vigilant is right...

Restaurants operate on an very thin profit margin, and competition is fierce. This is not surprising. Actually surprised it isn't 3 in 5. Don't know if they are accounting for chain restaurants.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    One of my jobs had a massive layoff/furlough today guess it was the biggest in 30 some odd years. There was 1and 2 week furloughs and indefinite layoffs. They went from 3 shifts to one and we only have about 15 people total now. I was pulled from mid shift to first they even sent group leads and and supers home.

The upside of this I learned how to make my own bread and tortillas.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Made a work delivery today and stopped by Menards and Rural King seeking garden plants.

People in masks were around 50/50. Most of the staff at both places were masked/gloved, but not all. It must not have been mandatory for the staff.

Every other masked person, customer or staff were messing with their mask at one time or another, hands on face. :n00b: Not sure this mask idea is a good one? Especially unnerving to see a gloved/masked checkout person adjusting their mask to then touch all items to scan. :rolleyes:

20200417-165058.jpg
    20200417-165044.jpg
    20200417-165330.jpg

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I will admit I had to touch my mask to adjust it when I was out yesterday. Gloved up -- but if I did not touch it, the mask induced nose stuffed up stuff would have started to drip over my mouth.

Now, I know how to deglove properly. I also know that my mask does not bring air in through the nose area, so any viral load there is minimal.

Having been home over a week, I could feel the stress of being out in public. I am soooo blessed my boss is understanding and allowing me to work from home. My family needs the support (kid duty so wife can work from home) - and frankly, my stress is lower not being crowded by people. (I have to go in periodically to handle parts).

IronsKeeper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    Not today, ISIS
    I just wanted to say thank you to the community. Had a couple PMs on protective masks, which I passed along to 3 of my current and former FDs in the area.

That's the kind of thing INGO is about, y'all!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    So far I have been able to find everything I wanted except Clorox wipes and a freezer. Fortunately, the wife liked Clorox wipes before this all happened so we have a pretty good stock of those already. I jumped on the freezer bandwagon too late. I have one ordered, and the Lowes said they were expecting them any time, but who knows. Just hoping it shows up before the meat I put deposits on shows up

IronsKeeper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    Not today, ISIS
    So far I have been able to find everything I wanted except Clorox wipes and a freezer. Fortunately, the wife liked Clorox wipes before this all happened so we have a pretty good stock of those already. I jumped on the freezer bandwagon too late. I have one ordered, and the Lowes said they were expecting them any time, but who knows. Just hoping it shows up before the meat I put deposits on shows up
    I know money doesn't grow on trees and especially given the current job market- maybe look around Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace if the freezer doesn't show up first? Having an old cheap freezer that only has to last a month or two might be fairly cheap interim solution.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Hit my local Meijer today (Portage) They're still lacking in quite a few places. Cleaning supplies like gloves, disinfectant, wipes, etc. No TP whatsoever. OJ was pretty scarce but was some available. Milk was a little low for choices as well. Canned goods, especially soup was very thin. Biggest thing was Pork. Hardly any pork at all. Few packs of bone in chops and spare ribs. No baby back or country ribs. No pork butt or shoulders. No pork roasts. Plenty of bacon and ham though. Still plenty of chicken and HB meat.
    Usually fruit is pretty well stocked and still is other than Strawberries. Glad mine are starting to take off in the garden already.

jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    I know money doesn't grow on trees and especially given the current job market- maybe look around Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace if the freezer doesn't show up first? Having an old cheap freezer that only has to last a month or two might be fairly cheap interim solution.

True, and I have been. So far somewhat near me is only stuff that doesn't work, or more expensive than new. Can't blame them, market demand. Bad thing is, we updated appliances last year, and I moved the old fridge to the garage for a manly beer fridge, and sold my often unused chest freezer to make room. Never thought I'd need more than 2 normal fridge freezers. Sure showed me.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Went Krogering with the wife Saturday afternoon. Just a weekly shopping trip. Parking lot was pretty full. We masked and gloved. Would say less than half the shoppers were masked. Good ratio of yoga pants on appropriately sized booties. Only saw one employee masked. Shelves were 70% stocked with certain items decimated although they had several people restocking throughout the store. Cashier had hockey glass but my wife sidestepped when I tried to check her into the boards.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    Wife and I went to Menards in Elkhart.
    The parking lot was packed full and we had to park way out in the boondocks.
    We walked up to the entrance and they had it marked off for social distancing but nobody was waiting, so we walked right in.
    About 50% wearing masks.
    Wife picked up some soap refills that they were out of the last time we were there.
    I got a replacement battery for the garden tractor and 5 bags of potting soil for the new elevated garden boxes we had made.
    A friend of the wife's husband is making them out of old pallets and they should last a while.
    Also got some more seeds and some mushroom mulch.
    Finished up with a container of pretzels and a box of fruit snacks and a flat of strawberry plants.
    As we left I noticed there was line to get in and to stretched almost around the building.
    Felt pretty lucky to have walked in.
    Still haven't seen TP or any sanitizer anywhere, same for water.
    Guess this is the new norm.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    One more thing I noticed... While trying to find a place to park, there were a vast majority of vehicles with Michigan license plates in the parking lot. Figured they were escaping the Michigan penal colony up north. While trying to cross over by the entrance, I almost got ran over by a S10 Blazer and a trailer with Mich plates. Guess he was excited by all the items he was going to buy.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Fresh Market grocery stores will not serve you or check you out without a mask...

No longer true. So the manager that rang me out after the cashier refused because I did not have a mask let me know today the staff misunderstood the directive from corporate after I complained, and were no longer trying to enforce the rule.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I am noticing on social media more and more division on opinions of what to do. There are people that are raving mad about protests and people that wanting to end the lockdowns. There are people that are more unlock/protest oriented. I have not seen the protest people being so mad and abusive toward the other side, but that could be just my window.

I am a little surprised by this stark divide. I guess I should not be as we are divided on so much these days.

I am finding it interesting though, often the divides are along political lines, this time, I am noticing both liberals and conservatives both raving mad in support of the lock down. I am not finding as many liberals on the unlock/protest side though.

I do think people in general are getting weary of this stuff. I am going on a limb and saying if things are not lifted after 5/1 we will see more people getting upset about the lock down.

I am of 2 minds on this right now. I am OK with flattening the curve and slowing the outbreak, but at some point we are going to have to face it that the virus is not going to magically disappear and life will have to resume. I am not sure when that point should be, but with all the fake news, I cannot trust much.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Martin's Grocery in Goshen- went there this morning. Still no toilet paper. Limited amount of paper towels. No sanitizers or wipes. No yeast. No bleach...
    I would have thought some of that stuff would be getting caught back up by now. Eggs are still limit 2 with a $2.17/dozen price tag. Yet I see the farmers are destroying them because there is no market for them. Just crazy.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Martin's Grocery in Goshen- went there this morning. Still no toilet paper. Limited amount of paper towels. No sanitizers or wipes. No yeast. No bleach...
    I would have thought some of that stuff would be getting caught back up by now. Eggs are still limit 2 with a $2.17/dozen price tag. Yet I see the farmers are destroying them because there is no market for them. Just crazy.

I think I paid 1.28/dozen for eggs at Aldi Friday (limit 2). I've been keeping stocked up on eggs since I pretty much eat them every day since I've been working from home.

Top Bottom