• ...and so much more!
  • Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    What costs more, THE INVENTORY TAX FOR keeping it in stock when you have plenty of storage space, or losing sales because you can't serve items on your menu because you're out of a simple ingredient?
    Not sure how the inventory tax works in the food industry, but I have seen Indiana industrial industries do crazy stuff to avoid the Indiana inventory tax in the past. I think some of the laws may have changed, but not sure.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not sure how the inventory tax works in the food industry, but I have seen Indiana industrial industries do crazy stuff to avoid the Indiana inventory tax in the past. I think some of the laws may have changed, but not sure.
    I'm pretty sure Indiana did away with the inventory tax, which is why you don't see the big car sales in January/February anymore. I don't know that restaurants or grocery stores were ever subjected to it or not though.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I'm pretty sure Indiana did away with the inventory tax, which is why you don't see the big car sales in January/February anymore. I don't know that restaurants or grocery stores were ever subjected to it or not though.
    Yeah, Indiana tax on inventory held March 1st went away. Now the push to not hold inventory is based on a flawed following of Just in Time inventory concepts that no longer apply. Saving a few pennies in interest while forgoing a sale of an item at a few dollars profit is stupid.

My comments on JIT inventory in the auto chip thread…

Poor Planning = back in the Carter years when prime interest rates were in the teens the cost of money and thus the cost of maintaining inventory was huge. So the concept of "Just In Time" inventory came about where a manufacture only wanted a couple of days of materials on hand. They entered contracts with suppliers and required the suppliers to commit to the daily/weekly deliveries needed to keep production lines moving. Saved the automakers a lot of money paying for interest expense and pushed that cost to the suppliers for the privilege of getting the Big contract.

Fast Forward a few decades and the cost of money (interest rates) is near zero. So the concept of Just In Time inventory no longer had a huge economic incentive attached to it. But the automakers just kept following the same concept because no one looked far enough ahead and could not justify a change. Had someone had the foresight to change an automaker would have enough inventory of chips for their boards to keep finishing complete vehicles. Hindsight or Poor Planning?

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Been hearing more about grocery shortages again, so I got to thinking about what food items I stock up on. This list is not complete, but it's what I can think of off the top of my head.

There are a few must-haves that I always keep plenty of.

meat of any kind, mostly ground beef, whole chickens, pork loins, and beef roasts
    cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom if you prefer :puke:
    bullion/soup base of different flavors (prefer Knorr, but whatever)
    Tomato sauce (Aldi's is cheap and good) Can be used for spaghetti, chili, or goulash
    brown rice
    pasta
    beans
    oatmeal or decent boxed cereal
    Frozen mixed vegetables (the one with corn, peas, diced up carrots, etc.) I keep lots of this because you can do anything with it
    Frozen diced onions
    Bread, butter, cheese, and milk (all can be frozen)

You can make a lot of meals with the above. They may not be gourmet, but they will be hearty.

What are your must-haves?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Been hearing more about grocery shortages again, so I got to thinking about what food items I stock up on. This list is not complete, but it's what I can think of off the top of my head.

There are a few must-haves that I always keep plenty of.

meat of any kind, mostly ground beef, whole chickens, pork loins, and beef roasts
    cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom if you prefer :puke:
    bullion/soup base of different flavors (prefer Knorr, but whatever)
    Tomato sauce (Aldi's is cheap and good) Can be used for spaghetti, chili, or goulash
    brown rice
    pasta
    beans
    oatmeal or decent boxed cereal
    Frozen mixed vegetables (the one with corn, peas, diced up carrots, etc.) I keep lots of this because you can do anything with it
    Frozen diced onions
    Bread, butter, cheese, and milk (all can be frozen)

You can make a lot of meals with the above. They may not be gourmet, but they will be hearty.

What are your must-haves?
    So far I haven't noticed any shortages down here. But I hate mixed vegetables so they wouldn't even be on my radar. :):

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    You can also dip them in wax or store them in a jar full of mineral oil. They also last a lot longer without refrigeration than the industry wants you to believe. I prefer to store them in the chicken. The girls make sure I have fresh eggs every day. The original just in time delivery.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    You can also dip them in wax or store them in a jar full of mineral oil. They also last a lot longer without refrigeration than the industry wants you to believe. I prefer to store them in the chicken. The girls make sure I have fresh eggs every day. The original just in time delivery.
    Dissolve pickeling lime in a glassjar,glass jar, unwashed, clean eggs....supposed to last up to 2 years

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    My employer has reinstituted mask wearing for some of the plants in SE Michigan. If anyone thought we were moving on from covid, this goes to show you we're not...not until it is pulled up by root and branch and killed with fire.

Top Bottom