• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    I was just watching head games, and it brought up an interesting scenario.

In this, they had an actor sitting on a bench, who spoke with an unsuspecting test subject for a moment theh asked him to watch her laptop for a moment while she went to the bathroom. They then have a second actor, posing as a thief, try to snag the laptop to see how the test subject would react.

This brought up a question for me as to how I would react in this situation. I certainly wouldn't want to just let the laptop walk away, but I'm not sure how the eyes of the law would look upon me drawing on an individual to stop them from stealing property that isn't even actually yours. I also don't really think that entering into a grapple to get the laptop back is a smart option, considering it puts the BG in a situation he could potentially get at your sidearm.

What say you, INGO?

norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Your life is not in danger if someone steals a laptop sitting next to you, so why would you draw?

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    THAT, IMHO, is what 911 is for .... WATCH, and be a GOOD WITNESS .....

That seems like one good option, but what do you think the chances of that recovery are?

Maybe give the front desk a quick heads up (they were at a gym sitting right next to the desk) and follow the perp at a distance with 911 on the line until the police arrive to apprehend the perp? That sound like you're asking for a Zimmerman style situation.

If I wasn't armed, I would have no problem trying to physically restrain the BG. I hate to sound like the devil's advocate here, but does wearing a gun mean I have to let that laptop walk away?

remman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Well, I do believe that Indiana allows you to use deadly force to prevent a forcible felony. I'm not sure what's classified as a forcible felony, but I believe theft is a felony. However, I'd say you'd be better off just to hold the computer to deter anyone from even thinking about stealing it.

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    Well, I do believe that Indiana allows you to use deadly force to prevent a forcible felony. I'm not sure what's classified as a forcible felony, but I believe theft is a felony. However, I'd say you'd be better off just to hold the computer to deter anyone from even thinking about stealing it.

Along the same lines, I generally OC so I would think that would make the thief think twice about stealing a laptop sitting on a bench next to me in the first place...if he noticed. :rolleyes:

Might also make if think twice when I stood up and asked what he was doing, but chances are just as good the thief would just turn and run, laptop in hand.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Interesting scenario... Having watched the various morning small claims court shows ad naseum(probably not the ideal source for legal precedents), again and again people are held responsible for the condition of items loaned to them. If someone asks you to watch their ____ and you accept the responsibility, do you not have the legal obligation to insure that it is in the same condition and "placement" as when you accepted said responsibility? If that is the case, is not the actual underlying question what are acceptable means to protect property?

I can see this going either way depending on the norms in the community and the inclination of the prosecutor. I can also see this as covered by case law where you must provide a reasonable effort to insure the item's condition and may or may not be financially responsible. Hmmm, I am debating myself....

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Somebody leaving their property in the custody of essentially a stranger deserves what they get, but if it were left with me, it would appear as "my property" to any outside observer. I'd probably be holding it, in fact. In the extremely unlikely event someone tried to steal it, he'd very likely put himself over the threshold of "self defense" anyway. Just how I roll, man.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Somebody leaving their property in the custody of essentially a stranger deserves what they get, but if it were left with me, it would appear as "my property" to any outside observer. I'd probably be holding it, in fact. In the extremely unlikely event someone tried to steal it, he'd very likely put himself over the threshold of "self defense" anyway. Just how I roll, man.

^ this. Best case scenario for best case outcome (ya know, before all the hindsight)

Top Bottom