• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LoneWolfe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2014
    Indy
    Is shooting skeet something that is best done in a group? Are there any skeet groups that meet at the Indiana Gun Club? I've shot a couple times before, but I hate the idea of having to search out and drag someone away to have them push the button for me.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I shoot skeet on Wednesdays with some buddies at Oakwood Gun Club. It is best with a group, but any more than 6 may be too many. There are usually 4 to 5 of us. Sometimes there are only 2 to 3. That is not bad either. You run thru a round of skeet pretty quick, but it is still fun. We shoot other things together (have for years), so we are pretty close friends. Find a small group to shoot with. If you are already friends, that is great. If not, you will become friends, and that's not a bad thing either.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If you are at Indiana Gun club, tell the guy at the counter that you want to shoot skeet and ask if there is anyone to shoot with. Hang around for 15 minutes or so and you might end up with a new friend or two to shoot with. Good Luck

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    How about sporting clays Lonewolf? I've been needing an excuse to go up there.

Last edited:

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I shoot skeet on Wednesdays with some buddies at Oakwood Gun Club. It is best with a group, but any more than 6 may be too many. There are usually 4 to 5 of us. Sometimes there are only 2 to 3. That is not bad either. You run thru a round of skeet pretty quick, but it is still fun. We shoot other things together (have for years), so we are pretty close friends. Find a small group to shoot with. If you are already friends, that is great. If not, you will become friends, and that's not a bad thing either.

Oakwood a great place, I suggest shooting a round of sporting clays there if you get the chance.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Oakwood a great place, I suggest shooting a round of sporting clays there if you get the chance.

We have been shooting there for years and have shot sporting clays several times. Haven't shot any yet this year, though. The cold, wet spring is to blame. We will get some in this summer. Dave is a great guy and we enjoy shooting out there.

I just realized, you work at Blythe's, right? I am one of the league shooters. We spoke about INGO before.

rala

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Evansville
    I've shot skeet at IGC for years as a solo. Just hang around by the fields and watch if there is a small squad about to start, go introduce yourself and ask if you can join them. Unless they were waiting on other people, I've never been turned away. Very friendly crowd.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Well, that's what I want to shoot eventually, but I figured I should practice skeet before trying that.

Yes, skeet is good practice for sporting clays. You hit all the angles and learn what leads to use. You should do much better at sporting clays once you get the hang of skeet.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Yes, skeet is good practice for sporting clays. You hit all the angles and learn what leads to use. You should do much better at sporting clays once you get the hang of skeet.

Perhaps just to clarify. Skeet is a known shooting game because the targets always travel the same path. Learning to shoot skeet successfully will provide you an idea about the leads that are required for crossing targets, straight-a-ways, etc. It doesn't transfer directly to sporting clays because the targets are very different. Many shots are compound angles ( going left/right while also going up/down or to/from the shooter ).

Indiana Gun Club is open Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. Wed/Fri open and shooting at noon. Saturday/Sunday starting at 10 a.m. As mentioned, if you hang out for awhile at the skeet ranges there will generally be a squad with less than five shooters. Asking to join a squad is rarely denied. I've met some nice people joining a squad . . . . and I've met some jerks. If you're new to the game someone you shoot with may give you some pointers regarding the various leads at each station ( they are different ) so you don't become frustrated if you're not hitting the targets.

The primary thing to remember is to be polite and practice gun handling skills. A round does go reasonably quickly - perhaps 20 minutes for a 5 man squad but not nearly as fast as trap. Skeet is a more "social" game than trap because you can chat when you'r not shooting. Don't try that when shooting trap - at minimum you'll dirty looks and at worst you'll be asked to leave the squad ! 8 >)

I shoot at IGC on occasion - if you join my squad I'll be glad to help in any way I can.

best of luck.

amboy49

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Well, that's what I want to shoot eventually, but I figured I should practice skeet before trying that.

I say go straight for sporting clays. I didnt shoot clays of any kind for nearly 20 years (last time was high school when I was in 4h shooting sports program) and I had no trouble with sporting clays. I didnt break every bird, but I didnt walk away dejected, wanting to throw my gun in the nearest pond. I was shooting two shot report, (call the first, second is released as soon as you fire) and almost always broke at least one of the two. Bob Self and his crew really know how to setup a fun yet challenging course without making them so hard a novice gets frustrated.

Damn, Now I REALLY need to go.

ETA: let me know if you want to meet up some afternoon or evening after work. I'm pretty laid back and go to have fun, not to compete or worry about breaking every bird. I'm no expert but will do my best to help if you need it.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just got back from IGC. Met a couple buddies there and we did a round and barely made it out before they closed. We started at 4:15 or so.

Really digging the new controllers and card based system. If programmed right, it will even do the second bird at the report automatically. And we had one malfunction due to the controller not being set right, and they ignored the extras when we got back to pay.

And the coolest part? we were at station 8 in the woods, and I saw something fly down the trail from the next station. I turned around to see a hawk sitting on a branch about 7' up 20' behind us! He didnt stick around long.
    Plus, most stations have two sets of throwers. A Novice level and an Advanced level. Really pretty versatile.

And Sorry LoneWolf, I just now saw your visitor message. Had it been a PM it would have emailed me and I would have invited you along today. So hurry up and post up and interact here so you can send PMs! (you can PM after 50 quality posts) We can definitely meet up some time after work. (Once my shoulder recovers)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and I am pretty sure IGC now has voice activated stations for Trap. On of the guys today got there early and he was calling pull and it was letting birds fly with no one around. Give them a call to know for sure.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    Amboy is correct, just ask some guys if you can join them and make some new friends. I usually shoot at noon on Wednesdays and Fridays, and am always glad to see new faces. Come on out and have some fun with us. Amboy and I often shoot together with some other regulars, we always welcome the new folks.

Top Bottom