• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gaudard

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Seen a show on history that peeked my interest in shooting clays.

I've been looking at getting a Remington 870, would one work for shooting clays?

For competitive shooting, do they use 12ga? What type of shells do they shoot? Bird shot of some sort would be my guess.

Any good resources that I could be pointed would be appreciated. I have done some searching, and have yet to come across any type of FAQ.

jfw46544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Hot Springs Village, AR
    I was using a 870 and a Mossberg 500. You can do it with either one for trap. Skeet you be better off with a O/U or a semi auto. 12 ga. 7.5 or 8 shot is fine. I just buy the cheap ones on sale. I just picked up a O/U last week. You start to get the fever.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I've used my Remington 870 and my Winchester 1300, and I prefer the Winchester. The barrel is 28" and ribbed, so that really makes a difference in my game. Both are 20ga.

Big Dawg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    W PA
    Skeet requires doubles so your gonna have to cycle the 870 and if you shoot sporting clays with a 870 the real fun begins. I would go with a O/U or an semi-auto.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    i STILL use my 28" barrel 870 for skeet and sporting clays. that's the gun i take into the woods\field with me so i figure it only makes sense to use it when i practice. besides, the added challenge of having to manually work the action makes it that much more exciting. not to mention it burns the guys with the fancy O\U guns when you can beat them with the "truck" of the shotgun world.

kwalls

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Bargersville
    Trap and skeet

An 870 for trap would work great. However unless you are a "super fast pumper" it might be a little challenging to get cycled back for the second shot in skeet. I just bought a benelli super black eagle and I like it for skeet but I really prefer my weatherby over and under.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I use my 870 and it works for the handful of times a year a do trap and skeet. You could get the 870 for now to try it out to see if your into it. Then get an O/U if your serious about it. You can always sell an 870 or keep for a good home defense or hunting gun.

soljah777

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    a o/u would work best for all the games. 20ga and 12ga are the most common. Semis are good but not as popular with those that shoot skeet/trap.

If you are intrested in trap/skeet, you should stop by Atterbury or Indiana gun club if you can. Great people/members and you will learn a lot both watching and shooting with us. Beginners are always welcome.

Top Bottom