• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    How to read. Then how to comprehend and understand. Then how spot bias and leading of the reader by the author.
    How to fix things. How to take care of themselves. What respect is, how it is earned, and how to decide if someone deserves it. Also, how to earn and have the respect of those around them with actions backing up anything they say(so many kids...I am talking 6 graders in a rural school talk crap all the time. It is baffling to me). Mine will be able to hopefully wade through it, and be respected for who they are, not what they claim to be.

Trying to teach a 12 year old who really never had access to a stove how to cook, that is going well. How to clean not so much.

How actions today can impact their tomorrow, both positive and negative actions.

History. Teach them. Help them understand why they are free. How they came to live in a Republic. Why they should value it.

I have one who has already been to college and married and have a grandchild(26years old). By middle school she was leading a couple day lesson at school that she wrote(honestly not sure this would be allowed by current standards...or if it even really was back then) about the constitution, and thanks to a letter she sent the Heritage foundation she had free pocket constitutions to hand out to her class.

A 12 year old that I am adopting. Over the last year I have been a temporary parent to even more through fostering. Being a parent, a good parent to a child. Is the best way we have to shape our country and worlds future. Teach them to think, to question, to understand. The 12 year old has watched 3 movies(total) and a couple hours of youtube a week since she has been here. She now will tell anyone she meets "TV is just an excuse to not think, and rots your brain". That first part is from me, that second part she came to believe on her own. She has been with me 10 months. Gone from reading at a kindergarten level with zero expected of her, to reading better than most of her peers and high(sometimes to high) expectations. One other thing. Learn from your children while you lead, educate, and guide them.

ed1838

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 20, 2022
    Seymour
    Kids are grown, my grandson knows colors how to count know what every tool his dad has is called and what its for and piece of construction equipment. Yesterday he learned what a corn husk and a corn cob was. He is only 3 funny tho was walking him thru woods and teaching him different trees he had to pee and droped his pants to the ground.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    which bathroom to use

I don’t have any kids, but I do try to teach my Fiances boys proper gun safety and basic vehicle maintenance. Anytime I’m out there working on stuff I try to show them the ropes.

Oh and budgeting. We’re hard on budgeting especially in a time when kids seem to have no concept of money.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    My son, who is almost 11, learned a lot about construction when we built my brothers house. I teach him to cook as much as I can, and he enjoys helping me at BBQ contests. Now that he is racing 4 wheelers and dirt bikes, he is learning mechanic skills. this year he will rebuild the top end on his KX65 hopefully without me picking up a wrench.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My son, who is almost 11, learned a lot about construction when we built my brothers house. I teach him to cook as much as I can, and he enjoys helping me at BBQ contests. Now that he is racing 4 wheelers and dirt bikes, he is learning mechanic skills. this year he will rebuild the top end on his KX65 hopefully without me picking up a wrench.
    Hope he does better than I did. in HS I bought a 12yo Kawasaki. I dont recall what happened but I had to go get a salvage engine and rebuild it.

Many hours with a Chilton's manual and I had it rebuilt. Only had to go back 10 steps repeatedly because I kept forgetting to put internal parts in. LOL
    "there. All done. Final head gasket bolt is torqed. Wait, where did that spring come from? Sonofa...

:lmfao:

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    How to read. Then how to comprehend and understand. Then how spot bias and leading of the reader by the author.
    How to fix things. How to take care of themselves. What respect is, how it is earned, and how to decide if someone deserves it. Also, how to earn and have the respect of those around them with actions backing up anything they say(so many kids...I am talking 6 graders in a rural school talk crap all the time. It is baffling to me). Mine will be able to hopefully wade through it, and be respected for who they are, not what they claim to be.

Trying to teach a 12 year old who really never had access to a stove how to cook, that is going well. How to clean not so much.

How actions today can impact their tomorrow, both positive and negative actions.

History. Teach them. Help them understand why they are free. How they came to live in a Republic. Why they should value it.

I have one who has already been to college and married and have a grandchild(26years old). By middle school she was leading a couple day lesson at school that she wrote(honestly not sure this would be allowed by current standards...or if it even really was back then) about the constitution, and thanks to a letter she sent the Heritage foundation she had free pocket constitutions to hand out to her class.

A 12 year old that I am adopting. Over the last year I have been a temporary parent to even more through fostering. Being a parent, a good parent to a child. Is the best way we have to shape our country and worlds future. Teach them to think, to question, to understand. The 12 year old has watched 3 movies(total) and a couple hours of youtube a week since she has been here. She now will tell anyone she meets "TV is just an excuse to not think, and rots your brain". That first part is from me, that second part she came to believe on her own. She has been with me 10 months. Gone from reading at a kindergarten level with zero expected of her, to reading better than most of her peers and high(sometimes to high) expectations. One other thing. Learn from your children while you lead, educate, and guide them.
    which bathroom to use

I don’t have any kids, but I do try to teach my Fiances boys proper gun safety and basic vehicle maintenance. Anytime I’m out there working on stuff I try to show them the ropes.

Oh and budgeting. We’re hard on budgeting especially in a time when kids seem to have no concept of money.

All of this. Thinking and forming ones own opinion is huge and something most don't do.

Learning how to budget and live within your means at a young age will be a game changer for them over their lifetimes, and may be the biggest best kept secret.

I hate to say it, but living like no one else, so you can live like no one else, is something lost on many. And while I'm Dave Ramsey fan, we didn't follow his advice to a T. I didn't sell my 150k boat, I still bought and drove new trucks, and I'm still well ahead of where most my age are.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom