• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I am nearly knife retarded and aside from carrying a folder in my pocket and a decent fixed blade in my Go bag, I dont collect or get enamored with them. However, I would like to give my brother a decent set of skinning and game processing knives for Christmas. I dont want to buy junk, but no need for super high end either. He will likely be proccessing 1-2 deer, 2 turkeys, and perhaps a couple squirrels or other small game each year, so these wont see a ton of use. What particular manufacturers should I look at? What should I expect to pay? Should I bother with a set, or just a couple individual pieces? Is there 1 knife that is used much more than the others when processing deer?

thanks for the help

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    There are literally hundreds of choices out there for skinning/hunting knives. You have to decide which will work the best for you. Do you want a fixed blade or a folder. You will have to decide on blade style and length. Do you have a budget for one? I generally recommend Buck hunting knives because of the price point. Since the knife will only be used a few times a years, they (Buck) will serve you well without breaking the bank. :twocents:

BUCK

Note: Don't pay much attention to the prices on Buck's website, they are full MSRP and most can be bought for considerably less money.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    ESEE!!!!!!!!!!

oh, crap... was i too early??!!!

LOL! JUST KIDDING GUYS!!!!

i love tom krein's skinner. also, i think bark river had a nice one... might have been under the blackjack name? brad, do you remeber the one i am thinking of? had a high polished blade, silver guard, and a black canvas stack handle....

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I use a $12 boning knife and a $30 diamond steel rod, and butcher 12-15 deer a season.

Disclaimer, compared to brad...I'm also retarded. (In the subject of knives that is)

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    ESEE!!!!!!!!!!

oh, crap... was i too early??!!!

LOL! JUST KIDDING GUYS!!!!

i love tom krein's skinner. also, i think bark river had a nice one... might have been under the blackjack name? brad, do you remeber the one i am thinking of? had a high polished blade, silver guard, and a black canvas stack handle....

You may be thinking of the Trail Guide model. They made them with several different handles, stag, micarta (both black & cream ivory colored), brown stacked leather and I have even seen one with chestnut wood. Obviously the original vintage ones were made in Effingham IL. The newer versions were made in WV. Could it possiblly be one of the Blackjack classic models? They (Blackjack) made a 4, 5, 6, & 7 classic in several different handles.:dunno:

Last edited:

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Was thinking fixed blade and would like to stay under $100, was hoping for something with a blade steel that is easy to sharpen and stays sharp as I know he doesn't have great sharpening skills.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Also, I see a lot with a gut hook, is that actually a super desired feature? Or a novelty that isn't used as much as it is advertised?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I know nothing about knives. I called brad and said "I want a good gutting knife" he recomended the buck omni set and I got it today. It seams like a really nice knife for what Im wanting to do.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Also, I see a lot with a gut hook, is that actually a super desired feature? Or a novelty that isn't used as much as it is advertised?

For field dressing deer and other larger animals, I wouldn't own a knife without a gut hook. It really makes a difference when you first open up the animal. It makes the job easier and faster and prevents you from puncturing any of the inners like the stomach. :twocents:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Was thinking fixed blade and would like to stay under $100, was hoping for something with a blade steel that is easy to sharpen and stays sharp as I know he doesn't have great sharpening skills.

I know nothing about knives. I called brad and said "I want a good gutting knife" he recomended the buck omni set and I got it today. It seams like a really nice knife for what Im wanting to do.

One of the main reasons I recommend the Buck knives is because of the steel. Most of the models are using 420HC. It's a middle of the road steel with a decent hardness rating, but not so hard like some of the super steels that a non knife person can't put an edge on it. Again, the price point on these won't break the bank and you have to remember that it will only be used a few times a year. Yes, there are some really nice choices out there that use high end steels, but you will pay two to three times more. Most of the Bark River models that have been mentioned in this thread will run you $120 on up. :twocents:

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    LEM has some really good skinning knives. The best field/gutting knife i've used is a swiss army "hunter"(the one with the little deer on the handle) OUTSTANDING BLADE w/gut hook. And these won't break the bank ,VERY affordable.

Top Bottom