• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I own numerous NFA items but each time I paper something new it's another new background check. Got 5 in process right now and the oldest one is a couple days shy of a year

Spending 5 minutes to run a NICS check would be awesome

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    What? Every time I have bought a handgun I was told they called the FBI.

Yes. That's because buying a firearm from an FFL requires an FBI background check.

However, the Indiana-issued License to Carry Handgun does not utilize an FBI background check. That's why having a LTCH won't work as a replacement for the background check at time of transfer.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I love the 4473. It is one of the few instances I get to show of my illegible writing perfected from years in the allied health care services. It also gives you a chance to play "fill in the dots" when it comes to nationality. As of late I use a write in answer of "meat popsicle". Tomorrow i might use my federally given write to make up a new gender.

I once thought I was an imperfect human being. But now, after much social searching (not to be confused with soul searching) I find I was wrong. Come to find out that on the days I feel angry and pissed I am not! I am just getting in touch with my feminine side...

Alexis Machine

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    NorthWest of Indy
    I bought a machine gun in 2001 and thought it odd after the finger prints, sign off from the chief of police and six month wait, I still had to fill out a 4473 when I picked it up.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I bought a machine gun in 2001 and thought it odd after the finger prints, sign off from the chief of police and six month wait, I still had to fill out a 4473 when I picked it up.

That's just a paper trail for the dealer for their acquisition/disposition book. Firearms have to be logged out to someone, and it's on the dealer to account for who they're logged out to. For NFA items the 4473 is just a "I picked up my item on this day and I am who I say I am" form

brucecrain

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    Indianapolis
    They do not.

The background check for your LTCH is deemed insufficient because of it.

https://www.atf.gov/file/83766/download

Sounds like they still check the FBI but only apply state law to checks. "ISP informed ATF that although they will continue to conduct NICS checks onall applicants for licenses to carry handguns, effective October 1, 2003, the ISP only willapply State law in determining if a license should be denied"

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Recently, the ISP informed ATF that although they will continue to conduct NICS checks onall applicants for licenses to carry handguns, effective October 1, 2003, the ISP only willapply State law in determining if a license should be denied. Accordingly, licenses may beissued to persons prohibited from possessing firearms under Federal law. Therefore,effective October 1, 2003, Indiana licenses to carry handguns will no longer qualify asalternatives to the NICS background check required under the Brady Law.

One difference, probably the main one at issue:

Feds- no possession by felon.

Ind.- No possession by serious violent felon.

brucecrain

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    Indianapolis
    One difference, probably the main one at issue:

Feds- no possession by felon.

Ind.- No possession by serious violent felon.

The no possession by a felon still holds in Indiana. The “No possession by serious violent felon” is an upgraded charge from no possession by felon. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    The no possession by a felon still holds in Indiana. The “No possession by serious violent felon” is an upgraded charge from no possession by felon. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am correcting you. If you have a non violent felony conviction, you may still possess and carry a firearm in Indiana. I've even come across a convicted felon with a valid LTCH.

Top Bottom