• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    So i went to the range Saturday to test some more, and came back to clean and found this:
    chip_zps000d7148.jpg

It looks chipped. Is this something to be worried about, and if so, can someone suggest how to select a replacement bolt? I had heard about slight differences in make among original manufacturers "back in the day."

Thanks.

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Sure. Should also point out that on their site they have a "wanted" section and will buy broken firearms for spare parts to sell on the site. Guess we'll see how their product is when I get it.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Personally wouldn't worry about it. Just think of it as an extended extractor cut. SKSs are overbuilt as it is. Very tough rifles.

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    I wouln't be worried about it.

Look like there may have been a crack in the bolt there for a while. (Thought can really tell without seeing it closer) Probably from a flaw or inclusion in it when made. It has since relieved itself and obviously functioned fine.

Who knows when it let go. I would guess the damage is most likely from the bolt cycling back and forth. But it would be worth investigating a fired casing or two to see if they extruded into the slot. (which I would highly doubt)

The bolt carrier looks a bit rusted and pitted. The bolt looks a bit better but can't really tell.

The SKS is darn durable gun, and I'd fire it. But I would inspect a case for peice of mind.:twocents:

Top Bottom