• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newdumdum9825

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Seymour, IN
    Ok i know in indiana you can only hunt deer with with bow, crossbow, muzzleloader, and shotgun. so IM NOT LOOKING TO USE MY SKS ON DEER!!

and ik you need a tube plug on a shotgun for turkey for a max of 3 rounds i think..

but ive heard stories of people useing the SKS on on game such as yotes.

so i was wondering if i yote hunt with an sks, do i have to get a five round mag or can i stick with the stock 10 rounder to hunt with in indiana?

also what other game could i use an SKS on in indiana?

ive heard that the 7.62x39 is comparable to the .30-.30, so could i also hog hunt indiana (yes there are feral hogs in indiana)

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    No mag restrictions on yotes that I know of. If you are after pelts it is way over kill and not the most accurate rilfe out there.

Would be great on the hogs within its limits with a soft knose bullet. Just depends on how you plan on hunting them with or without dogs and whatnot.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    If it is all you have it will work although not the best choice is what I am trying to say. I just sold mine and favor my other guns but they were a lot more money. I have a 22-250, 243, and 223 AR. All of them are lighter to carry and offer superior accuracy. I have taken both hogs and yotes with the 243 and my new AR. The 22-250 has no kills yet.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    I personally enjoy the 7.62x39 round, I also enjoy my 2 SKS's and would not hesitate to take either on a hunt. Accuracy is fine for the purpose mentioned and can be improved with a little help and practice.

handkaudio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    I'm not a expert on deer hunting rules for guns, but pretty sure you can use others like a .44 mag and the Alexander arms .50 cal Beowulf. Which the Beowulf is an AR/M4 platform gun in a .50 cal, pretty sweet. Makes me wanna deer hunt lol

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok i know in indiana you can only hunt deer with with bow, crossbow, muzzleloader, and shotgun.
    INCORRECT

so IM NOT LOOKING TO USE MY SKS ON DEER!!

and ik you need a tube plug on a shotgun for turkey for a max of 3 rounds i think..
    INCORRECT

but ive heard stories of people useing the SKS on on game such as yotes.

so i was wondering if i yote hunt with an sks, do i have to get a five round mag or can i stick with the stock 10 rounder to hunt with in indiana?

also what other game could i use an SKS on in indiana?

ive heard that the 7.62x39 is comparable to the .30-.30, so could i also hog hunt indiana (yes there are feral hogs in indiana)

You seem to be working on a lot of incorrect info. I suggest you get a copy of the regulations and read them. Then read them again. Do not take what some yahoos on the internet tell you as gospel. It is your responsibility to know and understand the game laws, so you should go to the source! Wherever you have been getting your info from is incorrect and not reliable when it comes to staying legal.
    DNR: Hunting & Trapping Guide

Your SKS is fine for coyotes and hogs as long as you are not using FMJ ammo (illegal on game animals)

aka-kesler

Plinker
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    SKS, while a decent round, is not the best for accuracy, will surely get the job done on any small game... You really should know hunting regs. well before hunting anything, I agree with that 100%... But if ya got an SKS might as well use it!!! It will be a great rifle for hunting... Just because you are out HUNTING.... Have fun, Be SAFE!!!

newdumdum9825

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Seymour, IN
    i know the regs bu im not a complete expert and its been a while since ive read em.. and at least i didnt throw my Mosin 91-30 in the mix lol

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Your SKS is fine for coyotes and hogs as long as you are not using FMJ ammo (illegal on game animals) [/COLOR]

I think FMJ to be bad choice, due to enhanced skip factor.
    I don't think it illegal for use on game though, outside of the deer regulation.

Speaking of someone needing to read and reread the hunting regulations...

FMJ is not prohibited in IN for hunting.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Do not take what some yahoos on the internet tell you as gospel. It is your responsibility to know and understand the game laws, so you should go to the source!

Your SKS is fine for coyotes and hogs as long as you are not using FMJ ammo (illegal on game animals) [/COLOR]

Speaking of someone needing to read and reread the hunting regulations...

FMJ is not prohibited in IN for hunting.

See what I mean!!!!:D :n00b:

Mea Culpa! FMJ is just a horrible choice of ammo for hunting coyotes, not illegal. I'm in the clear either way, I don't use them for hunting anything.;)

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Legal for deer ;)

century_hg2160n.jpg

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    i know the regs bu im not a complete expert and its been a while since ive read em.. and at least i didnt throw my Mosin 91-30 in the mix lol

Your 7.62X54 would probably be a better round for both hogs and coyotes with good hunting loads! More powerful, and more importantly more accurate (usually.) I have 6 boxes of those 62 gr. frangible rounds for my Mosin, and always wondered what they'd do to a coyote. Unfortunately, they aren't accurate past 25 yds.:(

newguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    warrick county
    hogs and yotes are what i initially bought mine for. just dont expect great accuracy though.as fr as fmj for yotes? go for it just be aware of whats behind you. my first yote was shot w/55grn rem 223. fmj. 300yrds but no exit couldnt find the bullet either.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    hogs and yotes are what i initially bought mine for. just dont expect great accuracy though.as fr as fmj for yotes? go for it just be aware of whats behind you. my first yote was shot w/55grn rem 223. fmj. 300yrds but no exit couldnt find the bullet either.

The lack of finding a bullet suggests exit ;)

My buddy used .223 w 52gr Speer HP and purpled the offside hide after destroying the shoulders on a big yote (40+lbs, 150 yards).
    300 yd with FMJ, reduced speed would probably mean less upset, maybe heightened chance of zip through. Easy to miss a tiny exit of a fluffy critter.

Did you verify by skinning/autopsy?

Top Bottom