• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    warrick county
    The lack of finding a bullet suggests exit ;)

My buddy used .223 w 52gr Speer HP and purpled the offside hide after destroying the shoulders on a big yote (40+lbs, 150 yards).
    300 yd with FMJ, reduced speed would probably mean less upset, maybe heightened chance of zip through. Easy to miss a tiny exit of a fluffy critter.

Did you verify by skinning/autopsy?
    nope she was gut shot:rolleyes: yote fever:):

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Does anyone know when FMJ was disallowed for deer hunting? Is this the first year for that?

I'm pretty sure that I emailed the IDNR last year to ask that very question - and was told it wasn't prohibited. If only I could find that email...

ETA: This is only part of the email response I got from IDNR on 11/9/10. Looks like I need to bone up on my hunting regulations a bit more. "Full metal jacketed bullets are not legal to use for hunting deer with a handgun (see Indiana Administrative Code 312 IAC 9-3-3d). They are legal to use when hunting furbearers such as coyotes and foxes, squirrels, and for hunting deer" I cannot get to the rest of this email due it's age + I'm accessing work email via the web (vs. being at work and logged in).

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Does anyone know when FMJ was disallowed for deer hunting? Is this the first year for that?

I know you asked when, but most states disallow FMJ bullets for big game hunting.

FMJ bullets provide zero expansion. Generally speaking big game bullets have a lead tip exposed to allow the bullet to expand causing more of a wound channel and more damage to hasten the animal's death.

JHP bullets are also not recommended on big game since the hollow point causes rapid explosive expansion and most likely fragments the bullet. While this is desired for small thin-skinned varmints and fur-bearers, they will not reliably penetrate deep enough to rapidly kill deer or other big game.

Using FMJ or JHP bullets on big game can cause a long, lingering death. As sportsman, the objective is a quick, clean kill.

If you go to Chuck Hawks' website he goes into great detail on these topics.

zipper89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    If you enjoy the 7.62x39 and want to hunt deer in Indiana according to the DNR hand book the round is allowed to hunt white tail deer however you are not allowed to use a riffle for deer. You can however use a ak-47 short barrel pistol known as a Draco. However they are louder that a shotgun. I enjoyed mine why I had it but don't think I would have used it for hunting dear.

zipper89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I'm looking at it now aparently I was wrong we can use a rifle for deer. .358 hossier. Never heard of this round before. You can also use .357 Magnum, .38-.40 Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44 Magnum, .44 Spe- cial, .44-.40 Winchester, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, .500 S&W, .460 Smith & Wes- son, .450 Bushmaster, and .50 Beowulf.

Last edited:

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    You seem to be working on a lot of incorrect info. I suggest you get a copy of the regulations and read them. Then read them again. Do not take what some yahoos on the internet tell you as gospel. It is your responsibility to know and understand the game laws, so you should go to the source! Wherever you have been getting your info from is incorrect and not reliable when it comes to staying legal.
    DNR: Hunting & Trapping Guide

Your SKS is fine for coyotes and hogs as long as you are not using FMJ ammo (illegal on game animals)

Be sure to check the new regulations every year also. Especially since they are thinking about changing a lot of rules again this coming year and there is an active petition to change the caliber limits on deer.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

I know you asked when, but most states disallow FMJ bullets for big game hunting.

FMJ bullets provide zero expansion. Generally speaking big game bullets have a lead tip exposed to allow the bullet to expand causing more of a wound channel and more damage to hasten the animal's death.

JHP bullets are also not recommended on big game since the hollow point causes rapid explosive expansion and most likely fragments the bullet. While this is desired for small thin-skinned varmints and fur-bearers, they will not reliably penetrate deep enough to rapidly kill deer or other big game.

Using FMJ or JHP bullets on big game can cause a long, lingering death. As sportsman, the objective is a quick, clean kill.

If you go to Chuck Hawks' website he goes into great detail on these topics.

Things may have changed since this happend...but:

On 8-Nov-2010 I sent the following inquiry to the IN DNR:

"I have a question concerning bullet construction that's allowed for hunting within Indiana.

When hunting any game animal within Indiana, are we allowed to use Full Metal or Total Metal jacketed bullets? Or must we use hollow point or soft point ammunition?

I cannot find anywhere in the Hunting Regulations or elsewhere in the Indiana Code where it stipulates. The lack of stipulation says to me that FMJ is legal.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

On 9-Nov-2010 I rec'd an email response from DNR employee Linnea Petercheff that stated

"Full metal jacketed bullets are not legal to use for hunting deer with a handgun (see Indiana Administrative Code 312 IAC 9-3-3d). They are legal to use when hunting furbearers such as coyotes and foxes, squirrels, and for hunting deer"

Over three years ago now. Things MAY have changed.

-J-

macafly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Boys spotted a coyote in the back field. One slowed him up with the .223 and the other took out his shoulder with the SKS at about 225yds. Was plinking the other day with my boom targets and popped a 5" target @ 200yd. on the 3rd shot. Not bad for iron sights and trifocals:):

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    i know the regs bu im not a complete expert and its been a while since ive read em.. and at least i didnt throw my Mosin 91-30 in the mix lol

Don't ask me to explain why, but you can legally use your Mosin Nagant to hunt squirrel in Indiana.
    I don't know why anyone would, but if you did, you'd be perfectly legal doing so.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I would think that trigger would be tough for hunting my SKS has a terrible trigger

The triggers on the SKS are terrible, I doubt anyone would argue that, but even with a horrendous trigger, they can achieve reasonable accuracy for hunting. I doubt anyone will ever win any high power trophies with one, but they can hit their mark when the trigger man puts his time in with the rifle.

Top Bottom