• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sprmario123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    Muncie
    I'm looking for an SKS and wonder which type you guys prefer (Chinese, Yugo, etc). It would just be a fun gun so I don't need anything tacticool and plastic

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Notice no one has said Yugo...thus they will be the cheapest. No chrome barrel. Gas valve thing.

I have a Norinco and love it....used to be my favorite plinker til I started reloading.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    is there a difference between the chinese and Norico?

No. Norinco is Chinese, more specifically Chinese SKS made for the commercial market.

You can find the Chinese type 56 SKS which were actual military service rifles, and are usually in very rough shape.

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I wanna keep it with the original magazine since i got some family in NJ and they have magazine limits.

As a former NJ resident, just a heads up if you are not a resident you cannot be in a possession of a firearm even when visiting. No possession whatsoever except driving directly through the state. According to the NJSP, you can't even stop for food. Just gas and restroom use.

Also, I have the Norinco Paratrooper and love it, the only thing I would swap it for is a Paratrooper "M" or "D" model. Just don't put a bunch of stupid :poop: on it please!

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    Best SKS I ever had was a Yugo from Cherry's imports. Only thing missing was the cleaning kit and sling. That gun was in the best shape compared to the Yugo's from Century.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I like my Yugo, but it is big and heavy compared to the Chinese. I don't shoot corrosive ammo through it, so the lack of a chrome lined barrel is a non-issue for me. The only change I made was to put on a set of Tech Sights which I really like.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    As a former NJ resident, just a heads up if you are not a resident you cannot be in a possession of a firearm even when visiting. No possession whatsoever except driving directly through the state. According to the NJSP, you can't even stop for food. Just gas and restroom use.

How do they get away with that? My understanding is that according to Volkmer-McClure the standard is that the gun has to be legal for you to possess at the beginning and end points of your trip regardless of what you do in between. It sounds to me like the NJSP may be due for a trip to federal court.

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    How do they get away with that? My understanding is that according to Volkmer-McClure the standard is that the gun has to be legal for you to possess at the beginning and end points of your trip regardless of what you do in between. It sounds to me like the NJSP may be due for a trip to federal court.

From what I understand, the McClure-Volkmer provision allows you to transport a firearm through a given state. I would venture to say, based on my experiences growing up there, that if one were stopped for speeding and possession of a firearm within the state without a license became known to the officer, one would still likely find oneself arrested. The cops want to have a gun charge on their books; it makes them look good, and it then falls to the arrested (i.e., aggrieved) individual to present McClure-Volkmer as a defense when they get to court.

Basically, once you stop for any length of time beyond acquiring fuel, drive through food, etc, it moves from the realm of transportation to possession within the state. If the OP plans on stopping to visit his relatives, he should definitely just leave all firearms at home. Given the propensity for out of state vehicles to be pulled over in NJ, and how readily police will search your vehicle (lawfully or not), I would not advise taking the risk of even transporting firearms through the state.

Is it right? Hell, no. That's why I moved away from that godforsaken place. But things are different there. Many, if not most cops will outright lie to get PC or RAS to search a vehicle if they want to. The only thing that brings me back now is a death in the family, and occasional visits to see my mom and uncle. By and large, I avoid any place that prohibits my constitutional rights.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Russian has always been my favorite, Chines are nice too. Only requisite I would have is the barrel to be chrome lined and that it's not bubba ****ed with a bunch of cheap aftermarket crap.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Best SKS I ever had was a Yugo from Cherry's imports.

Only gun I kick myself for selling was a Yugo from my local gun store. For fun to shoot and acceptably accurate (good at beer cans with cheap ammo) and reliable home defense it was hard to beat.

Sold it to family though so I should still get to shoot it now and then. If they plasticize it that will make me crazy.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    There is a thread/story somewhere about the guy stuck in NJ because of a airline snafu. He was forced to spend night in NJ and was arrested when attempting to check in at airport with firearms in locked case. He lost in court and Supreme Court refused to take case up. Looks like NJ has carte blanche

Top Bottom