• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    I was hoping it would work as a coyote rifle.

If all you want is dead dogs, it'll work great. If you want to save the pelts, there are better guns out there. Mounting a scope is not the easiest, but can be done. Tech sights makes a sight for them that is suppose to be a big improvement over original equipment.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    +1 for the Tech Sights. Cant go wrong with an SKS, built to last an pretty good shooters if they have been tooken somewhat care of. If you get one without chrome lined barrel check bore quality to make sure its not ate up from corosive ammo

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    If all you want is dead dogs, it'll work great. If you want to save the pelts, there are better guns out there. Mounting a scope is not the easiest, but can be done. Tech sights makes a sight for them that is suppose to be a big improvement over original equipment.

Might need to keep looking. I would like to save the pelt to make a blanket after I get enough. Or maybe hang on a wall.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Might need to keep looking. I would like to save the pelt to make a blanket after I get enough. Or maybe hang on a wall.

If it's for yourself it may not matter, as long as you don't mind sewing up holes. For selling the pelts, buyers prefer one small easily sewn hole over one larger hole, or possibly even two.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    The 7.62x39 cartridge is supposedly about the same power as a .30-06, so it would make a good hunting round. As for accuracy, SKSes are only moderately so.

Close to .30-30, not .30-'06. They can be accurate depending on ammo quality and trigger. Some have horrible triggers. It would be good if you could try the triggers of the ones you're looking to buy.

twostepadin

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Rockville Indiana
    Last edited:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    The 7.62x39 is roughly equivalent to the .30-30, not the .30-06. ... The challenge is finding soft point ammo since I don't know of any state that allows FMJ for deer hunting

Thanks for the correction. SP ammo isn't that hard to find though you may have to go online to find it. I have and occassionally use Silver Bear SP ammo.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    About every SKS of any make would benefit greatly from a trip to Kivaari for his excellent trigger jobs. Check on Survivor's board, Surplus Rifles, etc. for contact info, or just Google the word. Not exactly cheap, but not outrageous either considering the vast improvement in "shootability" and safety you get.

Last edited:

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    About every SKS of any make would benefit greatly from a trip to Kiivari for his excellent trigger jobs. Check on Survivor's board, Surplus Rifles, etc. for contact info, or just Google the word. Not exactly cheap, but not outrageous either considering the vast improvement in "shootability" and safety you get.

I've heard rumors of the magic he can work. I look forward to sending my trigger group his way! A Kivaari trigger job and tech sights should make for an excellent package. The site is SKS triggers, improve the safety of the SKS carbines.

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    From what I've collected...

Load a golf ball in the end of the barrel, and load a "blank" type casing in the chamber. It fires, but with no bullet. So the gases shoot the ball out of the end of the barrel. Just like they did with the grenades

ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    That makes sense. Im hyped up for looking for a nice SKS. Hoping with my rifle and ammo to go with it, Ill be able to find a pretty nice SKS to trade for.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    That is great! What all did you modify for the golf ball launcher? Looks like a bigger pot on the end instead of the piece the grenades attached to. Best place for blanks?

I have had zero probe with my Yugo SKS, I just clean it after shooting and good to go. No chrome lining hasn't bothered me a bit.

ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Please don't tell me you traded a Winchester model 70 pre 64 for this and still had to pay money out of your pocket.

The SKS you are showing us is one of the better ones out there. Also a nice collectible one too.

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    In a nutshell, the SKS comes in a long barrel or a shorter barrel. Both are heavy battle rifles and everyone should have one. Well, most everyone.

They are fun to shoot and ammo is very reasonable as others have mentioned. All kind of upgrades are available but a little research on how to keep an SKS legal would be recommended. They are not scope friendly but it can be done successfully with some research.

If you can find one with all matching serial numbers, it should give you an indication that is was not pieced together. If done right, that could be okay too depending on who did the work, etc.

Most have a Chrome Lined Bore (barrel) and this is preferable. Some might disagree. Also the original 10 round fixed magazine is fine. There are larger capacity mags avail but that what an AK is for. :rockwoot:

Don't worry about the original wood. It can be replaced. Look for corrosion from mil-surp ammo and lack of cleaning. There is a very remote risk of slam firing (look it up) but it is rare. Replacement firing pins are available to prevent such a thing. Just keeping the firing pin clean is smart for any firearm and should prevent such a thing.

btw: A 30-06 is nothing to sneeze at. In fact, I think the ballistics are better than most 7.62x39 rounds.

Did I say the SKS is a battle rifle ? Get one before it's too late.

Top Bottom