• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    I recently purchased a chinese SKS, and would like to put a small 4x scope, or maybe even a red dot, on it. I've looked at all kinds of mounts on the net, and just can't decide on one. :dunno:

Any of you guys have some advice on what type I should get? I'd prefer a peep under mount. Are there any that doesn't involve replacing the reciever?

And also, are there any recommendations on what type of scope or red dot to get? Its just going to be used for plinking, so I'm not looking for anything real expensive?

Thanks in advance for any help:ingo:

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    In terms of a REAL scope mount, getting the receiver tapped is your best bet. The SKS has a very violent kick-back and those bolt-cover scope mounts RARELY hold well. If you're just throwing a cheap red-dot on it, the bolt-cover mount might be fine.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I've heard some bad stories about the receiver cover mounts. Heard a lot saying they won't hold zero due to the shock that cover encounters with every shot. I put a tapco t-6 stock on mine, and tried mounting a red-dot on the fore-rail. For me, it was way too far forward and wasn't comfortable. I took my optics off and went for the tech-sights and I'll be staying with the irons from here on out. I've heard tapping the receiver is the best option for reliability.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    In terms of a REAL scope mount, getting the receiver tapped is your best bet. The SKS has a very violent kick-back and those bolt-cover scope mounts RARELY hold well. If you're just throwing a cheap red-dot on it, the bolt-cover mount might be fine.

38special speaketh the truth. Drilling and tapping the reciever is the only way for sure to get a reliable zero. No matter how good the reciever cover mount is, it will jar loose with recoil over time. I went down the same road and tried 2 or 3 different reciever covers before bighting the bullet and drilling and tapping my reciever.

Choate makes a very good drill and tap reciever mount.

Choate Scope Mount SKS Steel Blue - MidwayUSA

This will likely require some inletting of your stock to fit, depending on how high or low you mount it. But it will be the most stable mount you're gonna find.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Just my own opinion, but unless you feel like you've just gotta have optics you'd be money ahead buying a Tech Sight receiver sight and a Williams Firesight bead. Don't know the going rate where you are, but it's $25/hole for D&T hereabouts. My main problem with the Williams rear is that it places the aperture way too far forward, sort of like the Japanese did on the 7.7 Arisaka. If they still offered the open blade as an option, that's the one I'd take. The Williams FO bead makes a big difference to me, but really needs the rear to be W&E adjustable to work well on many SKS carbines. I've been told that the various blades for the Williams Guide model open rear will work as replacements for the aperture, but haven't tried it myself.

You might also want to keep in mind that the receivers on many SKSes are very "hard". Breaking off a drill or a tap in one of those holes is very easy to do and a real PITA to try and fix. IMHO, this makes the job not a real good candidate for a DIY project, unless one has accesss to a pretty well-equipped shop (or at least a good, heavy-duty drill press, carbide drill(s) and machinist's vice) and some expertise in work of this sort. It's been my observation over the years that, where many tasks are concerned, it's almost always cheaper to hire experience than it is to buy the stuff you'd need in order to get your own. Especially when the job isn't exactly something you'll be doing often. And usually much less expensive to pay a pro to do the original work than it is to have one fix a botched DIY.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I personally would stay away from receiver mounted scopes. They don't hold zero well, been there done that. Get yourself the good adjustible sight from Tech-Sights along with the small front pin. Very accurate and seems to hold zero well even after having to take it off and put back on for rifle cleaning. I may also help to put a recoil pad on, not really for recoil but for stock length. Also, be sure to get the adjustment tool. It makes adjusting so much easier. I think these sights are the BEST upgrade for an SKS.

dan lenson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Broheem,

Just got my first SKS-- a Yugo.

I wanted a scope, found www.scoutscope.com.

Haven't found a SCOPE yet, but the MOUNT ($75) is on the way. For a dot scope, go for the 3". Regular go with the 6".

Not sure which way I'm gonna end up, but initially opted for the dot. Thinkin' that's not my style, though.

Good luck & congrats on the SKS! Beats the heck outta a Mosin, fo sho.

Last edited:

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    All the scope mounts suck for the SKS, i have bought just about everyone. Get a nice set of SKS tech sights, they are way more accurate than any scope you will put on it anyway.

Top Bottom