• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    At least 9 different Chinese variants com to mind, I'm sure there are more. The holy grails seem to be the Russo 1949 non-refurb, documented Vet bring backs, East German & North Korean.

bigwisher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    I have a yugo and have a scope on the bolt cover. Works great. You can buy a cover for around $20 or so. You might have to do a little filing to get it to fit or at least I did. Works awesome tho!

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Receiver cover scope mounts = bad idea. They almost never hold zero in my experience. The SKS has too thin of a barrel as well to make it worthwhile to scope. HOWEVER, if you have the skills and a relatively accurate SKS it might be worth your efforts to put a side receiver mount on the rifle. I've seen a few Chinese non-surplus US market SKS variants with the rail on the side and I've seen a few Yugos with a rail on the side. Might be worth it to do it on your rifle :twocents:

ajanes10

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    My brother in law just bought a Russian version that was made in 1952 I believe. It was super dirty when he bought it but after even before cleaning it there were no missfeeds. SKS's are awesome you just have alot of buying to do!!

stoyan79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Collecting SKSes is almost like collecting Mosins. You can have 50 guns and still might be missing a bunch. Get ready to spend some serious dough for the rare ones.

On a side note, I just added an Izevsk to my collection. :rockwoot:

I am starting a sks collection How many types are out there?:rockwoot:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I think that you've got your sights set on (hah! I'm punny!) a nice niche collection, OP.

I haven't a clue how old you are, but you've now got the rest of your life to find/collect them.

I don't know much about SKS rifles, but I'd probably break them down into 3 categories: Common/relatively inexpensive, uncommon/getting right expensive, and rare/will probably never be able to afford.

Yugos / Norincos (most variants) in the first
    Probably an Albanian in the second
    Then all the other rare ones that I don't have a clue about.

Seriously, though, happy SKS hunting!

(Be sure to have print outs of what you want and what you already have whenever you visit gun shows!)

-J-

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've been happy with my Yugo 59/66, especially after installing Tech Sites. In fact, I'm going to order Tech Sites for my AK tomorrow. The 59/66 is a heavy gun though, but because of that the recoil is practically non-existant (not that a 7.62x39 has that much to begin with).

ratpack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2010
    just North of border
    Have a norinco and a russian with laminant wood. Up yonder here in Michigan wondering how I would make magazine capacity 5 rounds so I could hunt some yotes. Where I hunt shots would be 50 yards or less. Both are standard 10 round stripper clip configuration. Didn't know where else to post question, you guys seem knowledgable.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Have a norinco and a russian with laminant wood. Up yonder here in Michigan wondering how I would make magazine capacity 5 rounds so I could hunt some yotes. Where I hunt shots would be 50 yards or less. Both are standard 10 round stripper clip configuration. Didn't know where else to post question, you guys seem knowledgable.

SKS Lego Plug

smspears592

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I just took my two boys, 5 and 9 out to shoot my sks. Mine is Chinese. No problems as usual. They loved it. This was the start of a great learning experience. We started the day with the Ruger 10-22 and the Mark II.

Top Bottom