• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Well I get to go to St. Vincent's tonight for a sleep study. I'm not sure how much sleep I can get by going in at 8:15 and leaving at 5:15?? Not scared of anything but a little apprehensive about what to expect. Anyone have this done that can offer some words of wisdom?

latigo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bloomfield
    Had one a year ago. They will wire your head up with electrodes in a pasty type goo.A EKG on your chest and wires on your legs. I didnot think I could sleep like that as I m a very light sleeper, but I did. I just hated getting up mid way thoght to pee with all that on. After you have reached REM sleep and if you have apnea the 2nd part of the test will be with the CPAP (mask) on to see how better you reach REM. All in all not a bad time. I never made it to the 2nd half otf the test as I didnot reach REM until the test was almost over. Good luck, let us know what you think of it.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    not fun, but not terrible. i had to go twice, once plain and once with cpap. i didn't sleep real well either time, but i normally sleep on my stomach and they wouldn't let me. along with all the monitors mentioned above, i had ones by my eyes, under my nose, and under my mouth. the residue left by the glue stuff made me look like the whole prison block had their fun on my face- had to scrub pretty good to get all that off.

Brown

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Had one 5 years ago and never finished. so much stuff wired onto you could not start to fall asleep. got so mad and frustrated just told them take it all that stuff off and walked out.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    How do you study for that!! take a nap?? :D Good luck, my wife had one a few years back!! she didn't like it, it's hard to fall asleep with all that stuff on! :D

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    You can do the scotch tape test for erectile dysfunction. Ask them to log what time the tape separates. Then ask for a copy of your brainwave pattern 2 mInutes before it, and find an EE to make you a machine that outputs that signal.

Sounds like a lot of work and a stretch of science, but having a machine that simulates conditions for morning wood MIGHT help people sleep better than a CPAP mask. Or least an alternative.

Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    I've had 3 . sleep apnea is one thing but I have narcolypse and apnea . CPAP machines are hard to get used to . They kicked me out of the 3rd one cause I couldn't wear the mask .never again . your lucky you get to go in the morning. I had to stay till 5:00 pm for daytime sleep tests .

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    Had one 5 years ago and never finished. so much stuff wired onto you could not start to fall asleep. got so mad and frustrated just told them take it all that stuff off and walked out.

There are home sleep studies now. I don't know if your insurance covers it or not, but there are companies who send the equipment to your house.It's a small recording device, sensors, belts, cables etc. You hook yourself up, start recording and go to sleep. A friend used this as she was unable to sleep at all at the sleep center, but got a perfectly fine test at home. These home tests record limited information and only detect obstructive sleep apnea, where the tests at the sleep centers detect other sleep disorders, including central sleep apnea, restless leg syndrome and parasomnias. Not everyone can get an accurate study at home, but I'd try it if I wasn't able to do the sleep study one!

The risks of untreated sleep apnea are just too high to ignore.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    It seems that not breathing for periods of as much as 60 seconds is a problem. Who knew? The lady conducting the tests actually laughed a little when I asked if they found anything. Looking forward to finding out the next steps. I know I have to go back for a second study with the cpap. I'll let you know. I am posting this because I was unaware how serious this can be and finding out how many people have it and are untreated.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    It seems that not breathing for periods of as much as 60 seconds is a problem. Who knew? The lady conducting the tests actually laughed a little when I asked if they found anything. Looking forward to finding out the next steps. I know I have to go back for a second study with the cpap. I'll let you know. I am posting this because I was unaware how serious this can be and finding out how many people have it and are untreated.

You most definitely have apnea but not anything near as serious as my grandpa had. He would actually hold his breath until borderline suffocation, we are talking completely blue in the face and grandma would wake up elbow him and tell him to breath. That usually happened 4 or 5 times a night.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    if you have any sinus issues, i would recommend getting a mask that covers both nose and mouth. i switched a while back and it has helped me use my machine through the night much more often. you can also talk while wearing the larger mask but not with the nasal mask.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    They thought for sure I had sleep apnea. I proved them wrong. Just crappy REM sleep. I woke up 5 times for the night. Which is exactly what their monitors said. No apnea. I cherish the days when I get about 5 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Whoa is me...:D

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN

When I had my study in 1999, it found I breathed an average of only 28 minutes an hour. Yep, spent less time breathing than not breathing. Average was something like 35-40 seconds per interuption. My nurse also laughed, then shook her head and said "I do not know how you function".

I got a cpap, never had a problem getting used to it, and immediately felt the difference. It is one of those weird things where you do not know what you are missing 'till you have it. Within a few weeks I had dropped 25 pounds and people I had worked with for 10 years said I was a different person.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I ahd one too done 3 years ago. All that showed up was I woke up 17 times in the test. Which is my usual. Nothing about any apnea. I know I wake up sometimes gasping for air. What a scary feeling. I also suffer from sinus congestion everyday. I should have it done again since sleep apnea is very dangerous.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I ahd one too done 3 years ago. All that showed up was I woke up 17 times in the test. Which is my usual. Nothing about any apnea. I know I wake up sometimes gasping for air. What a scary feeling. I also suffer from sinus congestion everyday. I should have it done again since sleep apnea is very dangerous.

I had an uncle that found out he had sinus troubles and they literally drilled his out. I always said I dont see how anyone could deal with that but with my recent sinus problems I almost welcome the idea.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I had a sleep study a couple of years ago and they said I had sleep apnea. I went back another night to try the cpap, and I had a panic attack instead. I decided to deal with the sleep apnea.

I had an uncle that found out he had sinus troubles and they literally drilled his out. I always said I dont see how anyone could deal with that but with my recent sinus problems I almost welcome the idea.

However, since having sinus surgery last summer, I sleep a lot better. I feel better, I get better sleep. Who knew having your sinuses completely plugged would keep you from breathing. ;)

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    One does not deal with sleep apnea, it deals with you. Stroke or heart attack are some of the options for not dealing with it. My worst during a test was not breathing for a minute and a half, got use to the CPAP machine in just a few days.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    I saw a doctor about my snoring to see if having surgery on my deviated septum whould help. He had me do a sleep study to see if I have apnea. I didn't sleep a wink all nite. I toss and turn alot, so trying not to with all those wires hooked to me might have had something to do with it. So now I am waiting to see if my insurance will cover a home sleep study.

Top Bottom